advertisement

No more SME arms!

My understanding is that the TTs & arms were started as a hobby business by the audiophile owner who is long passed.

Blimey Jez, you better hide under the stairs after that - some people think the 3009 was the best thing since the resurrection and even the III has acolytes who will fight to the death!

As I recall, I think Rega also recently announced that it would no longer be making their arms accessible to the OEM market. I bet Jelko have brought their Christmas party early to celebrate!

Last edited:
I preferred the Mission 774 arm back in the day, but it was no looker.

One of the best arms ever made IMHO. My big regret is that for 20 plus years I thought to myself that someday their greatness will be recognised and then the price will spiral and that I should get one soon... guess what...:(:rolleyes:

The Five, which many with an interest in 9" arms have aspired to for more than a generation, was a bit complex (i.e. 'fussy'), despite being very versatile. At its former price, it was competitive with its contenders launched since, but the price hike three years ago put it into fairy land in v.f.m. terms. With so many low compliance cart's coming on board and its 11g mass putting it at the low end of medium mass, it was not for Koetsus, Miyajimas and the like. It looked the biz and strutted its stuff, but there are a lot of better and cheaper arms out there, i.m.o.

Blimey Jez, you better hide under the stairs after that - some people think the 3009 was the best thing since the resurrection and even the III has acolytes who fill fight to the death!

As I recall, I think Rega also recently announced that it would no longer be making their arms accessible to the OEM market. I bet Jelko have brought their Christmas party early to celebrate!

I've had both series II and III and really didn't like them. The III did seem to work well with an Ortofon VMS30 though. With much else cartridge wise they're dynamically and tonally flat and lifeless. Even a Linn LVX is a big step up from one! I made a killing on the III though as I bought it mounted to a Technics SL-150 MkII for £50 the pair and sold just the arm for £250! They are lovely things to handle and look at though... "Camera finish" as they say...

The Audio Technica AT-1005 MkII I use these days was half the price of the contemporary SME series II but thrashes it!
I'm vaguely recalling £46 for the SME and £19.50 for the AT from Comet at the time...

I had a III on a Thorens TD160 used with a VMS20E. I also used Dynavector 10X and Denon 103 in the same arm - in all cases that was with the damper.

This was also on a Thorens TD160 (Super) and then an LP12. later another III on the Technics as in post above... not good.

Maybe the price hike was to put people off buying them because they wanted to scale back production.

The old "make it so expensive nobody buys one, but if they do- woo hoo!" game. And now they really really don't want to sell any.

One of the best arms ever made IMHO. My big regret is that for 20 plus years I thought to myself that someday their greatness will be recognised and then the price will spiral and that I should get one soon... guess what...:(:rolleyes:
this one?
mission_mechanic.jpg

Don't know why they bothered to make an announcement, I am sure the business is very low volume and has been for years, if they stockpiled a few dozens arms no one would have been the wiser for years, The fact they are still selling arms as part of the turntable package means they still have the tooling to make them, so what's the point of the announcement?

Don't know why they bothered to make an announcement, I am sure the business is very low volume and has been for years, if they stockpiled a few dozens arms no one would have been the wiser for years, The fact they are still selling arms as part of the turntable package means they still have the tooling to make them, so what's the point of the announcement?

It just sounds crazy to me. If they can sell arms as part of turntables they can clearly still make arms, so why turn their back on a market with a very good markup and upon which the company’s whole success and reputation was built. I bet A R-A is spinning in his grave tonight. His legacy deserves better than this.

Can't believe that the market has changed so much that it requires them to abandon production of such iconic items in a standalone form.
Crazy.

They've brought out quite a few new turntables of late, relatively. I think they are going more down the system route.

advertisement

Back