advertisement

Turner Prize 2019

Tony L

Administrator
Wow, the Turner Prize is a bit special this year! The four nominees have at the ceremony aligned into a collective refusing to accept the idea of a winner or loser in these divided times and made a very strong joint anti-Brexit/anti-Tory/anti-fascist statement as their acceptance speech. They’ve just done a seriously cool thing IMHO. Its on right now on BBC4 so will be on iPlayer. Make sure to catch their speech in full as it really was powerful and heartfelt.

Thanks for posting on this Tony. A great little speech, sadly just a pebble tossed in a stream but they represent the best of us nonetheless. If only the politicians could do just a tiny bit of that.

I didn't see that. but I did see the BBC News at 10 which natch gave a very different view and had their Will Gompertz (Sp?) asking if 'giving the prize to all nominees equally' spelt the end of the Turner Prize.

No reference whatever to a joint speech.

Another BBC 'mistake'.. no doubt...

Its on the BBC site here including some quotes:

“After the announcement, Cammock read a joint statement saying their work was "incompatible with the competition format, whose tendency is to divide and to individualise".

They said they wanted to speak out in "an era marked by the rise of the right and the renewal of fascism in an era of the Conservatives' hostile environment that has paradoxically made each of us and many of our friends and family again increasingly unwelcome in Britain".

They added: "Isolation and exclusion are the weapons of this hostile environment. It is this we seek to stand against by making this symbolic gesture of cohesion."”

PS It was live at 11:00, so the BBC do have an excuse for not broadcasting it on the news at 10:00!

Except that it was stated in the 10:00 News that the prize had been awarded to all four and the shots appeared to show an 'after event' party.
It was also stated much earlier in the day that the result would be broadcast live at 9:30 pm.

I do hope it is shown if only in summary.

Just shows how in adversity art always holds the line. Which is why I'm often puzzled by our little coterie of UKipper types. What on earth do they listen to? What to they read and what art do they look at? This is after all a site dedicated to the appreciation of art in the form of music.

Think- Pussy Riot, Bikini Kill, Cave, Pogues, Slits, Pistols, Clash, Marley, Young, Fairport, Springsteen, Beatles, Stones, Cohen, Dylan, Hank, Johnson, Bessie Smith and everything else in my 1500 records. The 'lefty', 'liberal elite' right there.

Wow, the Turner Prize is a bit special this year! The four nominees have at the ceremony aligned into a collective refusing to accept the idea of a winner or loser in these divided times and made a very strong joint anti-Brexit/anti-Tory/anti-fascist statement as their acceptance speech. They’ve just done a seriously cool thing IMHO. Its on right now on BBC4 so will be on iPlayer. Make sure to catch their speech in full as it really was powerful and heartfelt.

Is the art any good?

I’ve not seen it, and much is based on long-form video work this year so doesn’t translate to a two minute TV overview too well, but it looked quite interesting and in parts quite political (e.g. one piece being a hour and a half video collage of the NI troubles etc).

Just watching Sky News and the whole political motivation for the collective acceptance of the Turner Prize has been censored. They covered the result, but twisted it into something entirely lame removing all reference to Brexit, the Tory ‘hostile environment’, the rise of fascism etc. Absolutely disgraceful reporting.

Hmmm. Stunt, idiotic and devalues the Turner prize in my view. Mind you, anyway, how many Turner prize winners manage to remain in the public eye? - Not many.

I have good friend who is an artist. His view of the whole Turner prize thing is not reproducible on here. He does not seem to be able to say quite why.

Mind you, anyway, how many Turner prize winners manage to remain in the public eye? - Not many.

Have a look at the list on Wikipedia here, it is pretty much a who’s who of British art over the past 35 years! A remarkable list IMO. Are you sure your friend isn’t just a bit jealous not to have been selected?!

Up until about 1995 they are generally well known. Not more recently, with the exception of the great Grayson Perry. But is all the result of a change of tack by the judging committee, I wonder.

As to my friend ,the thought had occurred to me! But actually his work is not in the same sort of 'radical' spheres that the Turner prize seems to live on.

A well timed statement I thought. Most Art is political to some degree, and this coming together is pertinent and brave. The works themselves I’ve not seen live.

Up until about 1995 they are generally well known. Not more recently, with the exception of the great Grayson Perry. But is all the result of a change of tack by the judging committee, I wonder.

I’d certainly add Jeremy Deller and Mark Wallinger to the list, though there is always a good gap between breakthrough in the art world and the public catching on. No one would know who Anthony Gormley was until Another Place, Angel Of The North etc, and that was well after the Turner Prize.

Hmmm. Stunt, idiotic and devalues the Turner prize in my view. Mind you, anyway, how many Turner prize winners manage to remain in the public eye? - Not many.

I have good friend who is an artist. His view of the whole Turner prize thing is not reproducible on here. He does not seem to be able to say quite why.
He/she didn't win then;)

EXPLODING NEWS!

Artists come out as being politically to the left!!!

Well, no shit Sherlock!

Just shows how in adversity art always holds the line. Which is why I'm often puzzled by our little coterie of UKipper types. What on earth do they listen to? What to they read and what art do they look at? This is after all a site dedicated to the appreciation of art in the form of music...

What an unbelievably stupid and inane statement.

Some of my best friends are anarchists :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gee_Vaucher

Just watched the BBC News online. They mentioned the Turner Prize contestants made a pact so there was no winner or loser. None of the acceptance speech was shown and its anti-Brexit/Tory/fascist content wasn't mentioned.

When I was young, this would have blown up into a quite big story. Now it is shrugged at by the press and media, including the BBC and right-wing online trolls.

There are a lot of far-right racists in England, especially the government.

Jack

They were all interviewed on R4 Today prog.
Not seen or heard their submission, but do like the idea purported as a parallel from Alice in Wonderland and the Dodo caucus race - one where all participants start and run whenever they like, so everyone’s a winner. Alice wins a prize from her own pocket - a thimble.

A quick wiki shows Carroll was being satirical, mocking lack of clarity and decisiveness in political caucus system. All very fitting.

So it’s cool with me.

Love it or otherwise TP gets folk expressing a view, promotes and therefore interest in art. IMO it’s valid for that alone.

Just watched the BBC News online. They mentioned the Turner Prize contestants made a pact so there was no winner or loser. None of the acceptance speech was shown and its anti-Brexit/Tory/fascist content wasn't mentioned.

Sorry you are grasping at anti BBC straws here, the content was on the front page of BBC news and the detail of the speech was fairly detailed in the text and there was a video in the piece of the acceptance speech.

I am no fan of TV news of any sort, not for any potential bias reasons, but folks seem very keen to get "offended" by the BBC at every opportunity.

advertisement

Back