advertisement

Everyday sexism

The day that everyone wakes up to the fact that we are all racist and sexist, and much more ...ist besides, everyone of us, the world will be a FAR better place.
It is all a question of degree and learning to understand your own...ist tendencies, and hopefully allowing for it.

The day that everyone wakes up to the fact that we are all racist and sexist, and much more ...ist besides, everyone of us, the world will be a FAR better place.
It is all a question of degree and learning to understand your own...ist tendencies, and hopefully allowing for it.

If I understand what you mean, I agree entirely.

Yes, the real problem here is Tuga's thread. *faceplam*
No, I neither said nor thought that.

But please allow me to have some doubts about a bunch of greying hifi anoraks spearheading the evolution of sexism and racism, out-moralising each other at the bar sorry on a forum. I guess our youngsters will do this well enough and in a far more convincing way.

It has to be said that I am, for a start, not a fan of TED's, I have seen too many bad ones, plus they are not always backed up by verifiable data. Now about tuga's presentation, no matter how the figures really are, it is certainly useful and there are points that need to be addressed. Yet, presenting myself to an online community as a leading mind of anti-sexism behind my keyboard is not my thing, sorry. Ditto for anti-racism by the way.

Last edited:
Jumps very quickly after the opening topic on sexist remarks to the more general topic of male and female inequality. We have unequal representation of women in politics, far fewer female engineers, scientists, artists etc. Furthermore less than 15% of statues of notable people in the country are women!

Thinking closer to home, there are hardly any female PFM members! Also that women are grossly under-represented in other places such as model railway clubs, photography clubs, building and flying model aircraft, karting, montain-biking, mountaineering, cycle touring, is this inequality?

On the other hand my language classes are almost all female with the exception of a couple of males in each. Is this Inequality?

No, I neither said nor thought that.

Fair enough. As long as you manage not to go on and think and say exactly that.

But please allow me to have some doubts about a bunch of greying hifi anoraks spearheading the evolution of sexism and racism, out-moralising each other at the bar sorry on a forum.

Doh!

Fair enough. As long as you manage not to go on and think and say exactly that.
No Matthew. The problem is not the thread itself, it is rather how I expect it to evolve. If it ends up like many anti-racism threads, I'm afraid it will just sparkle more hatred than solve any problems. Which can't be addressed on fora in the first place.

A sobering video, but those of us with our eyes open know it to be thus.... anyone who thinks gender equality is even on the distant horizon needs their head examined!

I have a 12 year old daughter and it is on my radar, particularly as she makes the impending change into a woman over the next few years. So far, though, I have seen none of it, in her life at least, and heard about none of it from her. She seems completely unaware of its potential so far.

advertisement

Back