advertisement

Classic Movies

Woodface

pfm Member
All this recent talk about 'The Irishman' has made me think what warrants being called a classic film. I suppose there are certain established works in the cannon but I thought it may be useful to highlight some selections which are about to be shown 'free to air'.

My first selection is 'Bunny Lake is Missing', this is on 'Talking Pics TV' tomorrow at 10pm. A nice overview can be found here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunny_Lake_Is_Missing.

I tended to find Lawrence Olivier's on-screen performances rather hammy but he is brilliant in this. Hope you can find the time to watch & enjoy it.

Olivier was also wonderful in ‘The Entertainer’ which was on TV (maybe Talking Pictures) not very long ago.

Last edited:
Yes, very good film that. From memory it has an excellent performance from Syd James who is a fine actor in 'straight' roles.

Is Stanley Baker the lead?
Yes, Stanley Baker. Some seriously sped-up driving sequences in Hell Drivers!

I remember lying on a hotel bed in a seriously post-prandial state many years ago - around thirty-five probably - watching a midnight movie called Joe MacBeth (Macbeth set in the ‘30s US underworld) and wondering how I could be hallucinating so badly as to imagine the Banquo character was being played by Sid James.

I’ve also watched a lot of Sellers’ films on Talking Pictures recently. Odd how his work splits into pre-Britt (great) and post-Britt (mediocre.) Puts me in mind of someone else.

Yes, Stanley Baker. Some seriously sped-up driving sequences in Hell Drivers!

I remember lying on a hotel bed in a seriously post-prandial state many years ago - around thirty-five probably - watching a midnight movie called Joe MacBeth (Macbeth set in the ‘30s US underworld) and wondering how I could be hallucinating so badly as to imagine the Banquo character was being played by Sid James.

I’ve also watched a lot of Sellers’ films on Talking Pictures recently. Odd how his work splits into pre-Britt (great) and post-Britt (mediocre.) Puts me in mind of someone else.
Stanley Baker was only 48 when he died, makes us mortals feel quite inadequate.

I used to enjoy stumbling over films I'd never heard of and finding a gem or two.

'Sleuth' springs to mind as one of the first ones I saw totally by chance and thoroughly enjoyed, avoid the remake by Branagh with Jude Law though, utterly terrible.

Top Hat, with Fred Astair and Ginger Rogers. It was on BBC 2 yesterday. I kind of watched it by accident. What an amazing pair they were.

advertisement

Back