advertisement

“I’m looking to get back what I paid”.

It's great with old project cars too.

Someone buys a "modern classic", discovers the few little spots of rust actually started from the inside, strips all the panels and interior, pulls out the windscreen, puts all the bits in boxes, cuts out a couple of pieces of rust, sticks new steel in with bird poos.

Then after a couple of years of tripping over the boxes they just want their money back.

strange - the posted phrase might imply that the (equipment) has no value for them ... since they ought not pay for it - either that or the ultimate stance of entitlement. I suppose it's their attempt at trying to show they are not looking to make a profit on the deal ... but even so

Only hifi dealers who trade used gear are qualified to say this. As a matter of fact, they will get more for what they have initially paid.

Point taken ! :D Don't exercise pedantry so much nowadays unless there's a humorous element. Actually, many errors on pfm are either typos or lacking a proof-reading check. I think there's a correlation between the prevailing age range and generally well written posts but I'm guessing here.:). Sure, the old pot-boilers keep coming up like loose and lose and their, they're and there, but the predominant error is in the form of the greengrocer's apostrophe; Heaven only knows why. In my opinion, of course, f.w.i.w.

The apostrophe struggle is real, but I'd have to put bad and badly right up there with it. You get to lay, lie, lain and laid ... forget about it.

The apostrophe struggle is real, but I'd have to put bad and badly right up there with it. You get to lay, lie, lain and laid ... forget about it.[/QUOTE]

Then/Than. How do people manage to confuse these two words?

...And what’s an ‘intergrated amp’? :rolleyes:

I’m actually on the side of the language pedants (being one myself), as long as it’s done thoughtfully.

Clearly one hardly knows most posters on pfm, so it’s better to be cautious. Who knows what challenges they face? Dyslexia is not uncommon, for example.

That said, I find the argument that “languages evolve” annoying. Yes, they do, but it’s when they regress that we need to watch out. Otherwise we’ll be back to “Ug” before we know it.

Including speech? :)

Yes.
I’m aware language ( and the way it’s spoken ) evolves and changes.
My problem is that if you’ve been taught to speak and write correctly ( with the proper punctuation )
things people say and write can annoy intensely.
As has been said above, we don’t know if a poster is dyslexic.

Yes.
I’m aware language ( and the way it’s spoken ) evolves and changes.
My problem is that if you’ve been taught to speak and write correctly ( with the proper punctuation )
things people say and write can annoy intensely.
As has been said above, we don’t know if a poster is dyslexic.

...or afflicted by clumsy thumbs auto correct syndrome.

advertisement

Back