advertisement

David Crosby, recommendations?

Nothing! His last 2 albums Lighthouse & Sky Trails are ok but certainly nowhere near as beautiful as If Only. They have not got the cream of California royalty playing on them.. I would go as far to say If Only is probably the best of all the CSN & Y solo albums IMHO. There is something so magical about it with harmonies to die for. It has been one of my favourite albums since it was released.

Mike

WhwcvM8.jpg

The last four albums are something of a late renaissance for a man with Crosby's history. My favourite of these is "Lighthouse" but there are good tracks on each of them. Stills has produced some great material over the past more than five decades. Along with the previous suggestion of "Manassas" I particularly like "Stephen Stills 2".

'If I Could Only Remember My Name' is better than 'After the Goldrush' or 'Rust Never Sleeps'?
Both great albums but my favourite Neil Young album is still 'Everybody Knows This is Nowhere', and yes, I think David Crosby's effort is better. However I would qualify that by saying it depends on my mood as music is such an emotional thing.

I can heartily recommend Crosby-Nash - Another Stoney Evening. Recorded live in late 1970 it includes some tracks from 'If I Could Only ...' + some Nash traks and CSNY tracks. Just the 2 of them with guitars it is a very intimate performance with Crosby in good vocal form despite suffering from 'Lebanese flu' as described by Nash and thus the 'Stoney' reference in the title. The vinyl sounds very good and since the bad pressing review on Amazon as had a corrective repress.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004Q6PX3I/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm enjoying Lighthouse :)

A tiny desk concert in tune with the zeitgeist

...look in his eyes, he's out of life, he's out of spark, look in his eyes and see the dark...
look in her eyes, see the burning fire, what do you find? freedom is her one desire, look in her eyes and see the fire...

advertisement

Back