advertisement

A thread to recommend decent movies on Netflix / Amazon Prime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't find it terrible. I think you're perhaps not effectively suspending disbelief if that aspect killed it for you.

it's actually not that. my problem was suspending aesthetic judgment. it was simply grotesque.

p.s. bear in mind that i am involved in visual art, so not exactly the average viewer. that said, so are the creators of the film.

Well opinions differ, I thought it was awful. The digital de-aging was all over the shop and even though I like Scorsese and the now venerable cast of actors I just didn't think it worked. To me it was like a nostalgic pastiche of their former work. Not to be encouraged otherwise we'll get more of this instead of new interesting material from other directors/ actors.
Yes. This is another step on the road to seeing just machine generated versions of proven established person images, not real people. For a little while there will be live bodies providing motion capture, but they will get beyond needing even that.

Yes. This is another step on the road to seeing just machine generated versions of proven established person images, not real people. For a little while there will be live bodies providing motion capture, but they will get beyond needing even that.

i actually don't have a problem with that, as long as it's properly executed. my issue is this half-baked (one-twentieth-baked being more accurate) attempt to pull it off. i suspect a lot less effort and money would have been spent in a more old-school effort, with newbie actors playing the young versions of our self-absorbed stars. actually, it could have been a lot of fun. way more fun than a botox granny tricking you in the dark.

i actually don't have a problem with that, as long as it's properly executed. my issue is this half-baked (one-twentieth-baked being more accurate) attempt to pull it off. i suspect a lot less effort and money would have been spent in a more old-school effort, with newbie actors playing the young versions of our self-absorbed stars. actually, it could have been a lot of fun. way more fun than a botox granny tricking you in the dark.
It is what they did rather successfully in Godfather 2, plenty of good young actors out there

anyone watching "the morning show"?

I tried a couple of episodes. It was quite intriguing. My interest disappeared so fast I spent ages designing instrumentation that could measure how fast. Initially it seemed that my interest travelled super-luminally, instantaneously - there one moment and then completely gone the next. Which seemed to defy what we know about physics. Assuming my interest has some mass. Eventually I was able to demonstrate that it did actually take an amount of time for my interest to vanish, just a very, very, very short amount of time. Barely measurable.

it's actually not that. my problem was suspending aesthetic judgment. it was simply grotesque.

p.s. bear in mind that i am involved in visual art, so not exactly the average viewer. that said, so are the creators of the film.

Ahh, ok. That makes sense.

my p.s. I was actually hoping you'd mini-review E Corp TV Apple TV.

my p.s. I was actually hoping you'd mini-review E Corp TV Apple TV.

all i can tell you is that the line-up looks cr*p, but reese witherspoon is usually charming and has done some very good tings (like "walk the line" and "wild"), so i was curious about "morning show".

all i can tell you is that the line-up looks cr*p, but reese witherspoon is usually charming and has done some very good tings (like "walk the line" and "wild"), so i was curious about "morning show".

Odd coincidence with her. I was recently reading an article on the ape to human evolution. The piece touched on the human chin and used Reese Witherspoon's picture next to a chimp to highlight the difference. Anyway, everyone knows it's all about the legs.

I wouldn't do Apple TV but was curious. All these services are totally lacking imo. If you only do one at a time, my preference, you maximize by leapfrogging between them. Netflix DVD has certainly caught on to this game, and so popular titles (especially HBO-Showtime etc) are always Long Wait in the queue to keep the monthly charges rolling in. And that's when I leapfrog.

nation_promo_2019_american_patriots.jpg

Fox Nation

Just once I'd like to see some truth in Fox propaganda. Something like a Thanksgiving table where everything but the baked bird carcass came from a can, and the mudroom is stacked high with Prime boxes while everyone acts like they're paying attention to conversation as they stare into their APPL revenue rectangles to escape the fact they'd rather be in their room masturbating than spend another minute with relatives they don't know. And there's the Fox Patriots show on the TV behind them.

On Amazon Prime, The Jazz Loft According to W. Eugene Smith.

“...Between 1957 and 1965 in New York, dozens of jazz musicians jam night after night in a dilapidated Sixth Avenue loft, not realizing that much of what they play and say to each other is being captured on audio tape and in still pictures by the gentle and unstable genius, former LIFE Magazine photographer W. Eugene Smith, who lives in the loft space next door."

There's a new series of "Goliath" on Amazon Prime. Season 3 I think. Watched the first two series and enjoyed them. So far it's a bit weird a la "Fargo"....

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back