advertisement

“I’m looking to get back what I paid”.

I've always thought this was a daft thing to say as it ignores basic human psychology.

In my world sellers add a bit to the asking price in the expectation that they will be asked to accept a lower offer. Buyers know this - because they are usually sellers too - and after a bit of bargaining both the buyer and the seller will think they've got a good deal and everyone is happy.

Last edited:
FWIW I don’t haggle. I’m either interested or not at the asking price. I don’t make contact if the price is more than the thing is worth to me. I also use an auction sniper, leave bids at the local auction etc, just what its worth to me, if it goes for more it is no loss. I just don’t enjoy any ‘negotiation’ phase at all either buying or selling.
Some things I haggle, others not so it really depends. For example, I paid what the seller was asking for my A3s; I wanted them, his price was more than reasonable, he wasn't planning on selling in the first place and on top of all that he was fantastic to buy from. A really lovely genuine guy. I wish all transactions could be like that.

My black M-DAC was a slightly whimsical purchase to replace my silver one and after I mentioned a passing interest on the seller's thread they PM'd and asked if I'd make an offer. I did, and it was accepted (I should note that the seller on here was great too).

As I said earlier, I'm happy to pay or ask a fair price for something I want or am selling. If someone's open to an offer I'll make one though.

..... I just don’t enjoy any ‘negotiation’ phase at all either buying or selling.

Ditto, absolutely spot on. It just saves a load of hassle and potential ill feeling.

There are ways and means both to accept, counter bid or refuse. All can be accomplished with style and good manners. Practice makes perfect. This life is about compromise. Dig a bit deeper gentlemen.

FWIW I don’t haggle. I’m either interested or not at the asking price. I don’t make contact if the price is more than the thing is worth to me. I also use an auction sniper, leave bids at the local auction etc, just what its worth to me, if it goes for more it is no loss. I just don’t enjoy any ‘negotiation’ phase at all either buying or selling.
I have experienced reverse haggling on PFM, where I've offered something for an unpriced item and the seller has said Ah no, that's too much, and I've said No you're grand etc.

Retipping a boutique but busted cart is also a good example. EScO wait lists are epic so recouping what you paid (cartridge and Retip) seems fair.

I miss my days of using retipped Koetsus, not enough vinyl to justify one now. Lovely bits of jewellery.

I bought and sold stuff on Audiogon and Ebay for years, different fish of course. If the asking price on Gon was fair, I never haggled. Can't honestly ever remember having any discussions re my selling prices from abroad, however some of the offers from within these Isles were just plain insulting. I did on a few occasions lose big time Ebay when not setting a reserve. A mint LP12 in what the chap at Linn reckoned was one of only 3 or 4 genuine Linn fluted Rosewood plinths ever made went to Japan at somewhat of a loss. However an SME arm I bought for 80 went to the States for 800????
I only want what I paid puts me right off.

Depends if they got an amazing deal in the first place?

Happy to take advantage of their efforts / luck with bargain hunting, and pay what they paid :)

If they paid top whack then that’s a different matter.....

I ad dis geezer come around once, look at me Naims. Beforehand on the blower I was like 'there's no movement on price', and he was like 'ok'. Then he comes around we have long acoustilogical discussion about the amps, and he's like 'right, let's talk price', and I'm like 'HELLO, get the **** out of my flat!'. That was it, TWAT.

I ad dis geezer come around once, look at me Naims. Beforehand on the blower I was like 'there's no movement on price', and he was like 'ok'. Then he comes around we have long acoustilogical discussion about the amps, and he's like 'right, let's talk price', and I'm like 'HELLO, get the **** out of my flat!'. That was it, TWAT.
You never thought of getting a job in sales then?

There is a HiFi sales site in Malaysia and Singapore, where you see the same item being bumped for a year. That should be a clue to the seller to drop the price

Not sure why this came up, but they're different parts of speech as well. One's an adjective and t'other's a verb.
There are at least 3 examples in this thread of people who are prepared or not prepared to "loose" money.

You must be slipping, if you hadn't noticed them :)

You must be slipping, if you hadn't noticed them :)

Point taken ! :D Don't exercise pedantry so much nowadays unless there's a humorous element. Actually, many errors on pfm are either typos or lacking a proof-reading check. I think there's a correlation between the prevailing age range and generally well written posts but I'm guessing here.:). Sure, the old pot-boilers keep coming up like loose and lose and their, they're and there, but the predominant error is in the form of the greengrocer's apostrophe; Heaven only knows why. In my opinion, of course, f.w.i.w.

advertisement

Back