Miles Davis - In Tokyo
Herbie Hancock - DirectStep
Miles Davis - Early Minor
Jimi Hendrix - Merry Christmas & Happy New year Pic Disc
Robert Johnson - Sweet Home Chicago 10”
Blind Willie Johnson - Dark was the Night 10”
Freddie King - The Mojo King

Not a bad haul for the lesser RSD!

Not given a Black Friday discount, but bought today anyway at my local vinyl shop.

Van Morrison, Beautiful Vision - one of my all time favourites and his best, I think.

Jackson Browne & David Lindley- Live at the Main Point, 7th Sept 1975. Not an audiophile recording. Recorded off air from a radio broadcast, but great atmosphere and very enjoyable all the same.

Kevin

This is the first I knew about another RSD. I would buy the Miles In Tokyo straight away, but I can't find any information about whether it is mastered from the tapes. I guess not, so I'm out, which is a shame as it certainly looks pretty with the OBI.

This is the first I knew about another RSD. I would buy the Miles In Tokyo straight away, but I can't find any information about whether it is mastered from the tapes. I guess not, so I'm out, which is a shame as it certainly looks pretty with the OBI.

I tried online to get the MD - Early Minor and gave up with the prices, I suppose the idea is to get down the local record shop. The trouble with the record shops now is they are either full of hipsters or 50+ searching for stuff I discarded years ago at a price level I now pay for a bottle of decent wine.

One thing I have learnt recently is it does not over bother me if I cannot acquire a record, I can live without it.

Bloss

I tried online to get the MD - Early Minor and gave up with the prices, I suppose the idea is to get down the local record shop. The trouble with the record shops now is they are either full of hipsters or 50+ searching for stuff I discarded years ago at a price level I now pay for a bottle of decent wine.

One thing I have learnt recently is it does not over bother me if I cannot acquire a record, I can live without it.

Bloss

My local shop X Records in Bolton had several copies when I bought mine - around £20.

Thinking about it, I was shopping in Leeds for hours yesterday and could have bought the Miles releases from Jumbo. I can't believe I never knew about this RSD thing. I've managed to get Live in Tokyo from ebay but I'll leave the rest to the kids.

I think that it's all too easy to get sucked onto the Black Friday thing. The problem is that some of the smaller retailers are surviving on all too small margins as it is. Also, the issue with RSD is that you can end up with stuff you didn't really want! There were a couple of local stores that were offering 20% off vinyl; better to get a discount on the stuff that you really want. My wife and I were planning on popping over to HMV and then grabbing some lunch while we were there, but then the car broke down half way there, so that was our plans scuppered! I plan on having a quiet day doing nothing much today.

Never heard of this. I'd welcome your impression when you play it, please.
Once heard, never to be replayed. it's pretty awful! Instrumental Medley of Little Drummer Boy/ Silent Night & Auld lang Syne (4.28) & Three little Bears (4.13) b/w Extended 7.25 version of Little Drummer Boy/ Silent Night & Auld lang Syne. Originally released US only on Reprise 7" in 1974.

Was annoyed to miss the Zappa at my local shop. Later on I got an email from Rough Trade announcing they were selling their RSD stuff online. Checked the price on the Zappa - £21.99 (plus p&p). For a 10" picture disc of 4 tracks from the new Hot Rats boxed set (2 tracks, each with a variant). So that's at least £5.50 per track, on a crappy picture disc. Glad my local didn't get it in, I'd probably have caved with the actual record in my hand.

advertisement

Back