advertisement

The Irishman

Woodface

pfm Member
I watched this last night, am I alone in thinking it wasn't very good? Have we long since passed peak 'Mob Movie'? I thought the dialogue was very stilted, the scenes with DeNiro getting heavy with 'miscreants', were absurd as he moved like an arthritic old man. As is the often the case it was an hour too long! Honourable mentions to Joe Pesci & Ray Romano who were superb.

Where did you watch it, TV or cinema? The reviews suggest it fills the three and half hours but I'm a bit worried I can last that long.

I really enjoyed it, best movie of 2019 for me so far, along with Joker.

It had an edge to it, Goodfellas was the glamourisation of gangsters, but The Irishman showed another more harrowing side.

...would've been nice to see more Harvey Keitel though.

I really enjoyed it, best movie of 2019 for me so far, along with Joker.

It had an edge to it, Goodfellas was the glamourisation of gangsters, but The Irishman showed another more harrowing side.

...would've been nice to see more Harvey Keitel though.
Keitel phoned it in

Got day off today and watched it this morning, pretty much in one sitting, thought it was brilliant, really good story from start to finish. Gets a recommendation from me.

I thought it was very good, but not quite excellent, as some reviewers found. At least 30 mins too long, but the pacing of the movie would have made it difficult to be much shorter than that.

For me, Joe Pesci’s best ever performance & both Pacino & De Niro up to their usual high standards. Would also have liked to have seen more of Keitel.

I was disappointed - Whilst some of the actors performed superbly, DeNiro really did fail to impress. If ever there was a film that needed to have different people playing the characters at different ages, this was it.

DeNiro seemed to be doing an impression of himself, really jarred with me.

I have thought that about him and a few of the italian-named actors my whole life. Wasn't DeNiro a big method actor? Yet every time he acts I just see DeNiro. Never been able to get past it. Never forgotten it was him throughout the movie. Usually enjoyed it, though.

He's more in the Michael Caine, Sean Connery Jack Nicholson category of actor - movie star.

I have thought that about him and a few of the italian-named actors my whole life. Wasn't DeNiro a big method actor? Yet every time he acts I just see DeNiro. Never been able to get past it. Never forgotten it was him throughout the movie. Usually enjoyed it, though.

He's more in the Michael Caine, Sean Connery Jack Nicholson category of actor - movie star.
I actually think he is over-rated as an actor. I prefer more naturalistic actors. This will get shot down in flames but Harrison Ford is far more versatile.

I actually think he is over-rated as an actor. I prefer more naturalistic actors. This will get shot down in flames but Harrison Ford is far more versatile.
Right, when they disappear into the role and you forget who the actor is...

If you like Goodfellas etc, then you will like it.
I watched it last night, really enjoyed it despite the length.

As to De Niro, he is superb. If you don't think he can act, watch the Awakenings, the Deer Hunter or Brazil :D

If you like Goodfellas etc, then you will like it.
I watched it last night, really enjoyed it despite the length.

As to De Niro, he is superb. If you don't think he can act, watch the Awakenings, the Deer Hunter or Brazil :D
I've watched all those films, he's brilliant in Deer Hunter, I do think there are better actors.

whine-fridge.jpg

Don't tell me ... a poster from the Whisky and Wine Fridge threads?

advertisement

Back