advertisement

401 plinths

Frankiesays

Rats is life.
Is there any difference in SQ between those cheap plywood plinths on Ebay <£100 and the >£300 models? The only difference appears to be the finish. Its just a case of big chunk of wood and four holes for the mounting screws? I was thinking of buying a cheapie and having a go finishing it myself. Quite like the look of plywood anyway.

I don't know if there's a difference. People claim that there is but they do for boutique fuses, so what's the truth? Different plinth materials certainly sound different.

I made my plinth from 2 Ikea chopping boards, some brass bar, the front of a drawer and a Hoover attachment. It sounds great, in fact it went to a bake off and was very well received, saw off some serious competition. If you want to build your own, go for it. It will sound great and be good fun.

I use a cheapie plinth, main drawback is the weight of the thing, but it allows you to finish it anyway you like. Mine is done with Danish oil stain and beeswax. The more stain and wax the darker it goes.

I couldn't tell you about differences between mine and a £600 plinth, but I'm happy with mine. Go for it.

I think that one of the good things about the 401, is that the simpler the plinth, the better. Even Loricraft used to say that their skeletal plinths sound better than the more expensive boxed in ones, though admittedly, they don't look as good. I can't see that you'd go far wrong in buying one of the cheapo ones and giving it a go; I'd go for a minimum of 25mm thick though, and the feet/supporting arrangement will have an impact too. I have a 401/Naim Pre-fix/Aro/Dynavector XX2MkII in one of Loricraft's cheaper two-layer skeletal plinks, which is made of MDF I assume; I don't like the fact that you can see the guts of the turntable though TBH!

I don't like the fact that you can see the guts of the turntable though TBH!
I do. I call it my Frank Lloyd Wright plinth, with a nod to the Centre Georges Pompidou. Nothing wrong with seeing the workings. A friend of mine who called said "Did you really make this record deck Steve? Only it looks like it was manufactured, it all fits together so precisely." That's with the motor showing and all.

I've made a few plinths for Garrard's and suggest side by side there're differences between materials and construction. If you put value on having something bespoke and unique made, they're good value.
If you want the cheapest generic thing and think a few coats of oil is sufficient, then the £100 one will do the same.

4 tins of beans will get a Garrard running. Someone should market it, or offer a special based on Campbell's soup tins and called the Warhol.

Is there any difference in SQ between those cheap plywood plinths on Ebay <£100 and the >£300 models? The only difference appears to be the finish. Its just a case of big chunk of wood and four holes for the mounting screws? I was thinking of buying a cheapie and having a go finishing it myself. Quite like the look of plywood anyway.
I bought one of the DAS Plinths in rosewood excellent product

So I can get a cheapie then? Less than a £100 from Moldovia I think. How hard is it to laquer these without it looking shite?

Materials do make a difference. There was a big improvement going from an old SME plinth to 180mm of stacked mdf, and a further definite jump when that got replaced by two layers of Apollo Slabtech left over from a kitchen worktop.

So I can get a cheapie then? Less than a £100 from Moldovia I think. How hard is it to laquer these without it looking shite?

Nothing wrong with these plinths. Stain and wax is all that's required. Ask Dougie to post a pic of his Garrard.

I made a cheapie Loricraft skeletal plinth alike - cost me well below £100 for the wooden parts (plywood, CNC cut).
I did replace the squash balls with "palle di epidauro" later on - sounds better (to my ears anyway) and doesn't sag with time. Sadly they don't appear to be made anymore.

advertisement

Back