advertisement

A thread to recommend decent movies on Netflix / Amazon Prime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought The Irishman was wonderful. De Niro, Pacino, Pesci and Scorsese at their brilliant best.

Well opinions differ, I thought it was awful. The digital de-aging was all over the shop and even though I like Scorsese and the now venerable cast of actors I just didn't think it worked. To me it was like a nostalgic pastiche of their former work. Not to be encouraged otherwise we'll get more of this instead of new interesting material from other directors/ actors.

Reactions: BJP
Well opinions differ, I thought it was awful. The digital de-aging was all over the shop and even though I like Scorsese and the now venerable cast of actors I just didn't think it worked. To me it was like a nostalgic pastiche of their former work. Not to be encouraged otherwise we'll get more of this instead of new interesting material from other directors/ actors.
I can’t disagree really except to say that I loved it regardless.

I just finished watching The Irishman myself and I thought it was great. I sometimes find that my mind wanders when I'm watching film and tv at home but I was pretty much tuned in from start to finish. Recommended viewing :)

I’m only half way through it. The de-aging worked pretty well on most except de Niro I thought. Pesci manages to be very understated compared to his Goodfellas character but still commands every scene he’s in.

On reading a couple of members here liking ‘The Crown’ on Netflix, have started watching from series 1 (currently it’s at 3) and it’s very very good indeed, as young Elizabeth might have said.

Really getting into and enjoying learning more about the Windsor’s and their staff. Really insightful.

maybe i'm more sensitive than most with the visual aspect of visual art, but the de-aging was nauseating and i gave up after 30 minutes. a 40 year-old deniro does not look like this:

wayne-newton-9542098-1-402.jpg

Been enjoying The Kominsky Method on NF.

Michsel Douglas is excellent in it. Funny.
Very good chemistry between Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin. Their various age-related illnesses are something I can relate to. Oh, and even better, no canned laughter!

Very good chemistry between Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin. Their various age-related illnesses are something I can relate to. Oh, and even better, no canned laughter!

Yes they are a great blend of curmudgeon and sweet together. No canned laughter is a major plus. Just started second series last night.

The Kominsky Method goes to the state of things, really, for in a sea of crime & punishment shows adorned with tits and ass, something with even the slightest day in the life character exploration stands out.

I've split The Irishman into 3 parts and finish tonight. You can't deny good acting, but the mafia genre is about as played as Hollywood's WW2/holocaust obsession.

I didn't find it terrible. I think you're perhaps not effectively suspending disbelief if that aspect killed it for you. On the flip side, they did a good job aging Domenick Lombardozzi.

maybe i'm more sensitive than most with the visual aspect of visual art, but the de-aging was nauseating and i gave up after 30 minutes.

The digital de-aging was all over the shop and even though I like Scorsese and the now venerable cast of actors I just didn't think it worked. To me it was like a nostalgic pastiche of their former work.

Spot on , I had to forget what they looked like in say Good Fellas to get through it , once I put that to the back of my mind it was ok .

I stated a separate thread on this as I totally agree with you. Anyone who says it is a career highlight of the various protagonists does not understand film, sorry but I feel rather strongly that we have been sold a pup.

I just finished watching The Irishman myself and I thought it was great. I sometimes find that my mind wanders when I'm watching film and tv at home but I was pretty much tuned in from start to finish. Recommended viewing :)

I thought The Irishman was wonderful. De Niro, Pacino, Pesci and Scorsese at their brilliant best.

My thoughts too, brilliant film.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back