advertisement

Music Books

The recently published series of books by David Hepworth (Never a dull moment, Nothing is real etc) are very engaging. I recently read a biography on Louis Armstrong - 'an extravagant life' which I really loved.

I've just finished Playing The Bass With Three Left Hands by Will Carruthers, bassist in Spacemen 3 and Spiritualised.
A good read, and a cautionary tale about getting involved in drugs and the music business.

Currently reading "Can't Stand Up for Falling Down" by Allan Jones, former MM,NME and Uncut editor. Some of it has been published before in Uncut in a shorter form. If the stories are true, then it sheds a very unfavourable light on certain stars and outs them as nasty and spoilt individuals. Some fine humour in there as well.

Andy Summers "One Train Later" is an amazing read.

It's not just about The Police either...he had a serious career well before that

Any guitarist will devour that book.

Andy Summers "One Train Later" is an amazing read.

It's not just about The Police either...he had a serious career well before that

Any guitarist will devour that book.

Agreed... it's also beautifully written.

Andy Summers has had quite a career outside of being in the Police. I interviewed him at his house in Hampstead several decades ago. He was a founding member of Zoot Money's Big Roll Band, which mutated into Dantalian's Chariot, whose 1967 psychedelic album I must admit I don't like that much.

Summers was influenced by Thelonious Monk and Dizzy Gillespie, who he saw gig. He took up jazz guitar and knew Hendrix. He recorded or toured with Soft Machine, Kevin Coyne, Eric Burdon and Kevin Ayres.

At one point Summers spent five years in LA studying classical guitar and composition at California State University, Northridge. Some of his albums are great, others not so. He's been involved with quite a few film soundtracks as well.

Andy Summers was a very amiable bloke to talk to. One Train Later should be a good read. I'll have to check it out.

Jack

Yeah, I got my hardcover secondhand thru Amazon and it turned up signed by Andy.

I recall he sold Eric Clapton his '59 Les Paul after Eric's was stolen. I think they were literally the only two '59's available in London at the time.

Any big thing guitar wise happening around that era and Andy was in the middle of it (along with Page, Clapton, etc)

The best music book I ever read is Sound of the City by the late great Charlie Gillett. Brilliant analysis of the history and origins of rock and roll. The definitive book.

I met him a few times and once went on his show on Capital Radio for a hour to play records. Good grief, that was three decades ago. Charlie was a really nice and incredibly knowledgeable bloke.

Jack

Charlie Gillett on Sunday lunchtime on Capital Radio was my musical education, as important to me as Peel. I saw Emmylou the first time she played in the UK (1974? at a theatre in Victoria, I think) and then the next day there was Charlie interviewing James Burton and Glen D Hardin on his show! Music nerd heaven! I agree about Sound of the City, and he also edited the Rock File series.

Rick James book has everything to make a fantastic movie. Best music book I have ever read it has everything and more. Had to import it from the US could not find it in the UK.

Not strictly a music book, but I have just started:
"The Man Who Hated Walking", by Overend Watts (who is better known as the bass player of Mott The Hoople).
Interesting start!

I've just finished Ian Penman's "It Get's Me Home, This Curving Track

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1910695874/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

which is the best music book I've read for quite some time.

Chapters on:
Mod
James Brown
Charlie Parker
Sinatra
Presley
John Fahey
Steely Dan
Prince

Many of whom have been written about before but he sent me back to hear the music with a fresh perspective.

Most, if not all, the chapters started as book review for the London Review of Books

Beautifully written and highly recommended.

Kevin

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I have just finished reading Viv Albertine's Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys. I bought my copy here on pfm. An excellent read, albeit quite harrowing in places, particularly all of her miscarriages and she goes into such detail on that stuff. She speaks quite affectionately about Sid (Vicious), which made me think that there was much more to him than the publicity machine would have us believe. Her failed marriage, affectionately hubby and then as it goes pear shaped, husband. The people that died along the way; Sid, Malcolm McLaren, Steve New, Ari Up, Poly Styrene. I loved it; 10 out of 10 for that one.

I have just finished reading Viv Albertine's Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys. I bought my copy here on pfm. An excellent read, albeit quite harrowing in places, particularly all of her miscarriages and she goes into such detail on that stuff. She speaks quite affectionately about Sid (Vicious), which made me think that there was much more to him than the publicity machine would have us believe. Her failed marriage, affectionately hubby and then as it goes pear shaped, husband. The people that died along the way; Sid, Malcolm McLaren, Steve New, Ari Up, Poly Styrene. I loved it; 10 out of 10 for that one.

Thanks for that nice little review Mr Wylton. I got about half way through and stopped mainly because the flights weren’t long enough. I will dig it out and finish it now.

advertisement

Back