advertisement

What concert have you last been to #3

Steve Hackett knocked out a creditable SEBTP last night at the Brighton Dome - surrounded by some excellent musicians, and a great sound (possibly because I was not far from the desk). I just don't 'get' Nad Sylvan though - he seemed a bit remote to the music.
I never realised Deja Vu was a remnant of that album. Would have loved to hear PG sing that one

Gang of Four (or should that be Gang of One plus three) at the San Fran in Wellington. Played all of Entertainment plus favourites from the next two albums and a couple of more recent tracks. Great energy and worryingly still relevant songs.

The wonderful Jan Gabarek & Trilok Gurtu at Saffron Hall, Saffron Walden on Saturday, followed by Natalie Williams, her band and string quartet at Ronnie Scott's last night. Both performances were wonderful.

Another from Steve Hackett & SEBTP - Symphony Hall, Brum.
Have followed Steve since his first solo gigs, so been to a few..
Last nights I thought was tremendous, the band seem to actually be now a full 'band' and play as one, instead of Steve leading a set of damn good musicians. Loved Deja Vu, this being its first real live outing in a good while.
I think Clocks was a standout, and while drum solo's are a tad 1970's, Craig just did an amzing job of it, totally nailing the sound in the hall.

Primal Scream in Oxford last night - absolutely out of this world! Seen them around 25 times over the last 30 years and last night's gig was one of the best.

Tuesday at the Barbican was the LA Phil conducted by Gustavo Dudamel playing two newish pieces, then;
Herbie Hancock band played two, supported by the orch., then;
Herbie and his band played a further 90 min set - and very good too. Yes, they played Watermelon Man, which was let down by no trumpet on the stage although the guitarist did a passable job using an effects pedal.

Deco, plus two good support acts, at the Sunflower Lounge in Birmingham. Nice small venue with a capacity of around 100.

Tuesday at the Barbican was the LA Phil conducted by Gustavo Dudamel playing two newish pieces, then;
Herbie Hancock band played two, supported by the orch., then;
Herbie and his band played a further 90 min set - and very good too. Yes, they played Watermelon Man, which was let down by no trumpet on the stage although the guitarist did a passable job using an effects pedal.
The highlight had to be the orchestral version of "Rockit"!

Me and the Mrs went on Sunday but got tickets for last night from mates who couldn't go - which was nice. Brilliant to see him still going at nearly 80 AND rockin' the vocoder and keytar :)

Zervas & Pepper at the Bedford in Balham. First time in this fine venue: circular with a gallery, capacity probably 150-ish. The band played two fantastic sets, and are well worth seeing if they're anywhere near you.

Erland Cooper and AVA at The Unitarian Church, Brighton last night.
Excellent support from AVA, a piano/violin/electronics duo.
Erland Cooper's set was more than a bit magical - heartwarming, charming, and utterly uncynical.
I'm now even more looking forward to seeing him with The LCO next year at The Barbican.

Fontaines DC at SWX in Bristol last night. Pretty much played the album plus a couple of new tracks. Plenty of energy but a bit too much volume and I'd forgotten my ear plugs. In fact so loud it sounded like the bass and his vocals were distorting quite a lot, unless it was my ear drums flapping around :). A good night though.

A large number of middle aged men (like me) in attendance, perhaps not surprising as heavily played by 6music and reminiscent of several older bands.

An unforgettable Sunday afternoon at The Royal Festival Hall.

Philharmonia Orchestra
Christopher Warren-Green conductor
Ivana Gavric piano
London Philharmonic Choir

Wagner: Overture, Die Meistersinger von Nurnberg
Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No.2
Holst: The Planets

Mick Head (Pale Fountains, Shack, The Strands) in Liverpool on Saturday, with my 14yo daughter. The a sound engineer needed sacking, because the instruments overpowered the vocals quite considerably, which was tantamount to negligence really, considering he’s not a singer that belts it out.

The Comet is Coming last Thurs and then nostalgic 40th anniversary tour gig of Nine Below Zero on Sat. Both excellent

Sigrid at the Birmingham Academy.
Considering that she has been touring these songs for a really long time it was a great gig.
It felt fresh with lots of energy.
Shame the venue is so awful.

advertisement

Back