advertisement

A thread to recommend decent movies on Netflix / Amazon Prime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet another exceptionally good series of Spiral. Series 8 has just finished filming and I can’t wait for it.

I did feel that the end felt like The End, and was surprised to read after watching series seven that they’d filmed series eight back in April/May...
Have to start a drinking game where everyone drinks each time Gilou slaps someone!

Mick

I saw the first episode yesterday. Very well done, as were the previous series.

Here's a still from the new series of The Crown.

steely-emily-maitlis-delivers-clinical-performance-in-prince-andrew-interview-newsnight-review.jpeg

Stephen

Last edited:
The whole series is unavailable!

As far as I'm aware they're not available to stream from Nexflix or Prime here in the UK, though series 1-6 can be bought from Apple for £44 - that's tempting even though the first three series are only standard definition not HD.

I watched the first episode of "Comrade Detective" on Amazon Prime, a parody of a Romanian cop show with added propaganda. It almost falls into the 'so bad it's good' category with some good lines such as when they meet the American ambassador who is a leggy blonde with a huge split up her skirt and one asks "Why is she dressed like a prostitute"? the other says " She is a capitalist so she must be going out to exploit someone"
It may not be for everyone but it does have it's moments
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5834198/

The Laundromat with Streep, Oldman, and Banderos is an excellent Soderburgh film, based on true events and about a pair of lawyers (Olman and Banderas) who swindle insurance thru shell companies in Panama. Streep is swindled and disgruntled old lady.

On Netflix.

+1 for Spiral. I think that lawyer bloke is in love with her, or is she in love with her cell mate? Series 8 will tell us hopefully.

The Laundromat with Streep, Oldman, and Banderos is an excellent Soderburgh film, based on true events and about a pair of lawyers (Olman and Banderas) who swindle insurance thru shell companies in Panama. Streep is swindled and disgruntled old lady.

On Netflix.
Tried that but couldn't get on with the obvious set up scenes at the beginning.

Watched the Spy, a series with Sacha Baron Cohen playing an Israeli spy, very well acted and totally straight too. Mind you I never saw any of his comedy stuff.

Watched the Spy, a series with Sacha Baron Cohen playing an Israeli spy, very well acted and totally straight too. Mind you I never saw any of his comedy stuff.
I very much liked this series, I’d not known it was non-comedy until I’d finished the first episode and I’d said to my mate, well, it must be the biggest build up to a funny scene or.....he stepped in and said it’s not a comedy, aaahhh, that explains it!

Nonetheless I really liked it, gets a recommendation from me.

that's the series in which they try to cast shampoo as many models as possible to save a bit of money an acting, right? wasn't it cancelled in after season 2?

No. That's the series that is based on a proper SF book series rather than the usual stuff written by a soap writer who fancies portraying a bit of robot sex.

Stephen

No. That's the series that is based on a proper SF book series rather than the usual stuff written by a soap writer who fancies portraying a bit of robot sex.

i can accept/contemplate that the books are decent enough, but the acting was unbearable, not to mention the guy with the annoying 1930 detective hat/affectations. i gave up after s1. does it get better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back