advertisement

Who's Heard the Dutch & Dutch Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've played solo acoustic stuff on the system that could easily convince most, with eyes closed, there's a performer is in the room. But hear an actual acoustic guitar in there and feel its breath - so different.

I can compare a pristine Zimmerman Z1 to piano stuff on the 8c’s. It’s interesting. You need to turn up the volume quite loud to get anywhere near the dynamics of a decent German piano(played reasonably correctly).

I can compare a pristine Zimmerman Z1 to piano stuff on the 8c’s. It’s interesting. You need to turn up the volume quite loud to get anywhere near the dynamics of a decent German piano(played reasonably correctly).

You could be getting on dangerous ground here, aren't the Zimmerman Z1's accused in some quarters of being cold sounding? Some would say no wonder you like the 8c's. ;)

Which is great, but I have different (I would say broader) musical tastes and a different (but equally valid) set of preferences when it comes to reproducing music.
Of course your set of preferences is equally valid! As to which of us has the broader musical taste, I have no idea, I wasn’t aware that we had discussed the range of our musical tastes. I do tend to choose my hifi for the genre I listen to the most, but that doesn’t stop me having a blast of King Crimson every so often! As I have pointed out from time to time the D&D would have been an obvious and superb choice if I spent more time listening to the genres which are only an occasional listen for me. Fortunately, for you as a dealer, my favourite genres aren’t the most popular!

recreating ANY real instrument is nearly impossible. Once you have the air, scale, force, and piercing quality of whatever it may be (try actually recreating a trumpet, good luck), it's tough to fake.

a piano sits high up on the list.

You could be getting on dangerous ground here, aren't the Zimmerman Z1's accused in some quarters of being cold sounding? Some would say no wonder you like the 8c's.

Ha Ha - well I went to a lot of time and trouble before selecting my piano. I love its sound - especially the bell-like clarity a good well tuned upright should sound like. Its very well known that different makes of instrument have different tone. A Kemble/Yamaha will sound very different to a Z1/Betchstein, to a Petrov, to a Sowter etc etc...

Oh and Becthsteins/Zimmermanns (same board, different cosmetic finish) have an excellent reputation for stability in domestic situations...

I have had my own pair of 8c's for just over a week now and previously the the demo pair at home for a couple of weeks. My main concern as analogue (vinyl LP's) have always been my main source (I have getting on for 3,000) was always would having a digital step in my AAA chain be detrimental? I tried my best (worst) with the 8c's to see a downside in that regard, but I'm happy to say I can't.

I was interested to see today that arch proponent of all things analogue Michael Fremer had this to say in his review of the reissue of the Fournier / Gulda Beethoven Cello Sonata in D as part of a new box set:

"True I’m not 100% certain this is AAA but as I said in the Beatles singles box video review, I’m more concerned about the final sound and in this case if there’s a digital step I don’t hear it but I do hear how much better this sounds compared to the original. What more could you want?"

Pretty much my feelings on the move to 8c's from my already excellent Meridian M10's.

Read more at https://www.analogplanet.com/content/beethoven-complete-works-cello-and-piano#RfppGxuDMSWRlqKh.99

Not sure where to post this update, so I’ve landed here.

Another visit from Lee this evening, for final room measurements including Dirac. Also to set up the MiniDSP SHD for my Rega Ear.

The usual excellent service from Lee, for a start. Very interesting initial listening to the new eq settings, both with and without Dirac.

Currently listening to the full Dirac eq setting. I’ll report back once it fully get my ears around what I’m hearing...

Also the MiniDSP SHD is a very clever little box. Lee configured it so the Ear can be used without me needling to switch the 8c’s off.

Last edited:
Just checked my software settings and auto update is set to disabled and doesn’t allow me to change it. I’m currently running v 1.3.12, is that the most up to date version? Did hear v14 was due and I was kind of hoped roon might be included?

Thanks chaps, doesn’t look like roon is in the next update , my first years roon is up in early jan, decisions decisions

My new pair came with 1.4.24 at the beginning November and they are now running 1.4.27 as they came set with auto update enabled. Now disabled.

There is a different D&D lanspeaker site page that I have also had mine logged into, but I probably should not reveal that as it may be experimental and probably not yet official. Plus I have found that the additional options I see there are not working. I can't see anything about Roon in those options, but I don't have roon anyway.

Update: I have just logged my speakers in to the D&D site. Auto update is now off, but the official lanspeaker web page now shows the same additional options under 'System' with 1.4.27 that I see with this version of the firmware as I saw and still see under the beta page version. The only difference is when I look at version 1.4.27 under 'System' in the beta page it says 'undefined' where under the official version it says 'Installed'.

The only additional options I see there are the ability to take and save up to 3 'Snapshots' of your settings, but I can't get these to work with either page app, they just hang when you try to save them. Does anyone now see these options under System on the official lanspeaker page with their firmware version?

Further Update: The D&D support page is now giving updated information on the firmware versions. The latest 'production version' is 1.3.18 as Lee says above. All 1.4 versions are shown as Beta, but mine shipped with 1.4.24. Strangely both of my versions 1.4.24 & my latest 1.4.27 are not even shown in the Beta list? 1.4.27 seems to be working fine for me with all the usual settings though, with the exception I still can't get the Snapshots to work.
https://support.dutchdutch.com/firmware-releases/

Beta Version 1.4.36 Enables Roon.

Last edited:
Thanks chaps, doesn’t look like roon is in the next update , my first years roon is up in early jan, decisions decisions

I have just sent a message to D&D support re the Snapshots not working for me. You could try a request to them to let you try Beta 1.4.36 (latest Beta) that has Roon enabled, 1.4.34 had it enabled also. As a Beta it may possibly mess with your other settings though?
https://support.dutchdutch.com/support-session/

Might it be prudent also to speak with your dealer, to ensure you get the correct advice?

In my case I have had some good advice from Keith @Purité Audio and he has been able to answer a number of points or got feedback for me from Martjin at D&D on others, but Martjin had not come back re the 'Snapshot' issue and Keith did not have a demo pair available with my version of the firmware to try. So prompted by yesterday's posts I just thought I would see if I can get a direct response.

It's not really an issue for me, although I can see it would be useful, but I assume if some people are running Beta's they are looking for feedback on how the are working. I would certainly not recommend to anyone to run Beta's without feeling confident in doing so and having taken correct advice. This is the reason I did not link the new lanspeaker page as I do not know it's proper status. Of course release versions of firmware updates, that presumably don't get enough Beta feedback, can still cause problems as D&D has experienced causing them to suspend them at least temporarily.

Fwiw, following on from our previous offer of brand new 8c's at £6750 (UK RRP £9000) we have listed http://www.musicraft.co.uk/special-offers/

Dutch & Dutch Studio 8c active monitors in Black/Natural finish (demo/display pair) UK RRP £9000_____Now £5499

and we'll have also have BRAND NEW STOCK of 8c's AVAILABLE SOON AT £5749 (UK RRP £9000)

Fwiw, following on from our previous offer of brand new 8c's at £6750 (UK RRP £9000) we have listed http://www.musicraft.co.uk/special-offers/

Dutch & Dutch Studio 8c active monitors in Black/Natural finish (demo/display pair) UK RRP £9000_____Now £5499

and we'll have also have BRAND NEW STOCK of 8c's AVAILABLE SOON AT £5749 (UK RRP £9000)

Gosh - very tempting at that price; do I need a second pair of actives...?!

One thing - your 8c speaker pic in the Dealer Sales here on PFM shows two slots on the speaker side. Have d&d changed the design or is the pic wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back