advertisement

Hifi that gives you "the fizz"

GruntPuppy

pfm Member
To partially quote James May, I was thinking about hifi, and what gives me "the fizz."

Basically, I seem to have a real thing about black minimalist audio equipment. I realise that an awful lot of the equipment I've sold off has been silver, but I've been holding back on selling the black stuff.

So, if it's big, black, menacing looking audio, that's my fizz. Thankfully there's plenty of good sounding equipment out there that fits my aesthetic needs. And besides, just like red makes cars go faster, black makes audio equipment sound better ;)

What aesthetics govern your choices of equipment?

The timeless design classics for me; TD-124, 301, Quad ESL, proper vintage Tannoys, Khorns, Altec, Leak, Yamaha, Marantz, McIntosh, Krell, Naim etc. In the audio world you really can own the equivalent of Concorde, an E-Type, an Eames recliner or whatever, so why wouldn’t you?!

I have never been into or remotely impressed with mine is bigger than yours, arguments.

For a moment there I thought this was going to be an alternative 'System Pic's' thread, but I'm glad to see that another dimension is creeping in.:D

Wish I had time to work out Flikr or others so that I could post pic's, but I do agree with Vinny inasmuch as it's the 'fizz' of hearing superb transparent and involving music rather than the mish-mash of kit that I have which is the important bit (but there's quite a lot of it!)

The timeless design classics for me; TD-124, 301, Quad ESL, proper vintage Tannoys, Khorns, Altec, Leak, Yamaha, Marantz, McIntosh, Krell, Naim etc. In the audio world you really can own the equivalent of Concorde, an E-Type, an Eames recliner or whatever, so why wouldn’t you?!

Concorde - a magnificent statement of engineering technology at the time. Commercially a total flop until it gained kudos as it neared death. Laughable by today's standards.
E-Type - another design statement and extension piece that is subject to the very same laws on the road as a Trabbie
Eames chairs - at least they are comfortable.

Not sure I am fully on top of the concept of the fizz but I like high quality sound that is heard but not seen. Speakers built into walls or cupboards, hardware in cupboards or possibly on bookshelves among the books, tablet as controller or possibly phone but less so a computer or TV which I would also wish to hide except when in use. I may have missed the point.

Not sure I am fully on top of the concept of the fizz but I like high quality sound that is heard but not seen. Speakers built into walls or cupboards, hardware in cupboards or possibly on bookshelves among the books, tablet as controller or possibly phone but less so a computer or TV which I would also wish to hide except when in use. I may have missed the point.

LLLOL - I think that you hit the nail squarely on the head.

Horses for courses...………………...

I was always amazed at the quality of finish that the Japanese manufacturers got on the facia of amps and tuners in the 70’s like Pioneer for example.
The JR149 was always a looker to me and I strangely really like the white / black baffle and clear polypropylene bass driver look of the Mission 770. The Lecson and Meridian kit always pretty good as well.
Must admit the narrow tall speakers of today visually leave me cold.

I prefer the minimalist style with as less buttons as possible so Naim is okay for me and Sugden even better. The McIntosh and Nagra stuff is impressive but I don’t want those in my living room, I’m not a Christmas tree freak ! :eek:

Looking forward to receiving an Onix OA21 Icon. I've lusted after the original forever, unfortunately practically unavailable in my country.

I kind of miss the valve amp I used to own (Border Patrol). Other than that, it's just a bunch of boringly reliable black boxes.

I prefer the minimalist style with as less buttons as possible so Naim is okay for me and Sugden even better. The McIntosh and Nagra stuff is impressive but I don’t want those in my living room, I’m not a Christmas tree freak ! :eek:
I had a pre and power amp set in 1990 with no buttons, controls, mains switches anywhere on them. Strictly speaking, the pre and power had solitary a touch sensor on the blank fascia but you wouldn’t know it was there.

via Imgflip Meme Generator

I don't do vinyl but this one looks prety:

Simon_Yorke_Turntable-thumb-800xauto-17362.jpg

advertisement

Back