advertisement

Should Scotland be an independent country?

Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good Afternoon All,

As a 50% English/ 50% Welch person living up here for the last 20 years and sort of worked out of Aberdeen for 36 years I have a view.

The 2014 'vote' was on the question 'Do you believe in an independent Scotland?'

SNIP

Regards

Richard

Actually, the question was "Should Scotland be an independent country?"

Like Vinny
I reckon it’s no one’s business but the Scots.

Some of the little englander shite being posted here, like the previous post, is offensive in the extreme.
:D

I like Scotland, I said I don’t want the break up of the UK but basically I am out of patience with the SNP and the nationalists supporting them banging on day after day about going it alone. They will make Scotland poorer and the only way they will understand that is if it happens.

cheers

Little-Englander
xxx

As some English people have expressed disappointment at not being able to vote in a Scottish Independence Referendum, please feel free to contact your MPs to encourage them to vote in favour of a Section 30 order.

(just think, you might get rid of us 'whinging jocks' once and for all!) :rolleyes:

Surprisingly enough, I don't take kindly to being called a liar, and given the nature of your posts, I suspect that I'd only be wasting my time - if you wish to take this as there being no evidence for Scotland being ignored, have at it, although you could do some of your own research (unless your mind is too closed for that)?

My question was not whether you would accept the result, but whether a leave voting England would?

Evidence, please, and lots of it (given that you didn't specify 'some', a minority etc), but simply Scots 'starting to be overly-rude, aggressive and blatantly anti-English'?
Then don't take kindly to it, that's your problem to deal with frankly. You said, "Scotland was ignored" - it quite clearly wasn't ignored as everyone in the UK had the opportunity to vote in the EU referendum, everyone had their vote counted. How would you say Scotland was 'ignored'? Why not break it down not just by UK country, but by county? Was West Yorkshire ignored? Cornwall? Why not by town? Hell, why not by voting districts? Because that's blatantly daft. The UK operates as one entity (like it or not) and Scotland had the opportunity to leave that entity (and chose to stay). Scotland's votes ALL counted in the EU ref, that is a fact.

I'm not going to spend my Saturday evening sourcing examples of anti-English hatred for you but suffice to say it's widespread enough that Sturgeon had to call for it to be 'rooted out' within the SNP. It's not just Scotland either; years ago my Welsh partner looked aghast as I mentioned putting a St. George's Cross on my car, having noted the number of Welsh dragons adorning the backs of vehicles over the border. She said that in all seriousness I would come back to a vandalised car.

Anyway, as I said earlier I used to want Scotland to stay - now I couldn't really give a toss as long as you either get on with it or shut up and get on board the UK train once and for all.

Scotland never really wanted to be part of the UK in the same way that the UK never really wanted to be part of the EU.
With the Brexit referendum the UK shot itself in the foot by creating an environment of division with serious sociological and economical impact.

FWIW, It was the preferred option of the Electoral Commission.

Pricks!!

They should learn, sorry to mention it :), English.

Please forgive me any slight towards any Scot, it will be unintended other than sarcasm, I am something of an Albaphile having worked north of the border and with many of its ex-pats south of it.

Scotland never really wanted to be part of the UK in the same way that the UK never really wanted to be part of the EU.
With the Brexit referendum the UK shot itself in the foot by creating an environment of division with serious sociological and economical impact.
Very true.

Brexiters who are actively ****ing up their children’s futures trying the “think of the children” tactic on Scotland is really peak hypocrisy.

The funny thing is I’m not even a nationalist I don’t even believe in the notion of borders or countries or states, independence for me is entirely about getting away from a country that has been captured in a far right wing coup.

Then don't take kindly to it, that's your problem to deal with frankly. You said, "Scotland was ignored" - it quite clearly wasn't ignored as everyone in the UK had the opportunity to vote in the EU referendum, everyone had their vote counted. How would you say Scotland was 'ignored'? Why not break it down not just by UK country, but by county? Was West Yorkshire ignored? Cornwall? Why not by town? Hell, why not by voting districts? Because that's blatantly daft. The UK operates as one entity (like it or not) and Scotland had the opportunity to leave that entity (and chose to stay). Scotland's votes ALL counted in the EU ref, that is a fact.

I'm not going to spend my Saturday evening sourcing examples of anti-English hatred for you but suffice to say it's widespread enough that Sturgeon had to call for it to be 'rooted out' within the SNP. It's not just Scotland either; years ago my Welsh partner looked aghast as I mentioned putting a St. George's Cross on my car, having noted the number of Welsh dragons adorning the backs of vehicles over the border. She said that in all seriousness I would come back to a vandalised car.

Anyway, as I said earlier I used to want Scotland to stay - now I couldn't really give a toss as long as you either get on with it or shut up and get on board the UK train once and for all.
Could you précis ?

Strictly speaking it’s a matter for the people of Scotland. It’s heartening though that it draws so much external interest. If England had chosen to leave the UK, I’d regard that as entirely their decision.

That has got to be about the most ******************************* load of ol' ************************************* ever posted on PFM, if not the entire www.

Precisely what planet is this person on?

As I suspected - glad I didn't waste my time.

BTW, you are aware that in 2014, one of the many lies of the anti-independence campaign was that the only way for Scotland to remain in the EU was for it to remain a member of the UK, right?

Anyway, just a friendly point to finish? - for someone who 'couldn't really give a toss as long as you either get on with it or shut up and get on board the UK train once and for all', you seem to be spending an awful lot of time and effort on this, no?

That has got to be about the most ******************************* load of ol' ************************************* ever posted on PFM, if not the entire www.

Precisely what planet is this person on?

Don't be sitting on the fence there, Vinny, tell us what you really think... ;)

I really hate to point this out but you've done it again....the ONLY way Scotland got to remain in the EU was as part of the UK. Even the EU said that if Scotland left the UK it would no longer be a member of the EU and would need to apply in its own right. I still find it strange that Scotland wants to shed itself of one (as it sees it) oppressive, remote and unaccountable meddling entity in London only to tether itself to the same thing in Brussels.

One thing you are right about is that we're clearly never going to agree unfortunately so perhaps our interactions on this should cease with a shake of a virtual hand and digital pint.

…………………………….
BTW, you are aware that in 2014, one of the many lies of the anti-independence campaign was that the only way for Scotland to remain in the EU was for it to remain a member of the UK...……………….

To be fair, there is a modicum of something approaching truth in that. The horrendous mess that would result from an independent Scotland joining the EU would just not bear thinking about - worse than any nightmare if the EU stuck to their guns, which I very strongly suspect they would.

Another parallel with narcissistic abuse and Scotland leaving the UK, is the way you find pro union England-types initially sounding reasonable in their discourse quickly turning very nasty even downright xenophobic and showing their pasty white underbellies when anyones start to say “no actually I really do not want to be part of this union”… and then the discourse becomes far more polemic and everything gets much nastier and less moderate by the pro union English types.

...just as it does with Brexit. I wonder if they are broadly one and the same?

Another parallel with narcissistic abuse and Scotland leaving the UK, is the way you find pro union England-types initially sounding reasonable in their discourse quickly turning very nasty even downright xenophobic and showing their pale white underbellies when anyones start to say “no actually I really do not want to be part of this union”… and then the discourse becomes far more polemic and everything gets much nastier and less moderate by the pro union English types.

...just as it does with Brexit. I wonder if they are broadly one and the same?
I find pro union English folk ( I assume they are the same as England-types ) are worried about the self harm Scottish folk seem so intent upon. I am anyway, so there’s one concerned England-type.

advertisement

Back