advertisement

Raspberry Pi

Hi,
Are you sure you are on the right forum ?
That's why I accompanied my comment with a wink, although I was being quite serious. If we're talking about a $20 Pi computer streaming digital data from a hard drive out a digital port, then a wall wart power supply designed to support that will be perfectly fine.

However, if we're talking about delicate analog audio signals, where you can split off their circuit path from that of the digital circuitry, then perhaps a linear supply makes sense. Even so, I've come to the realization that a properly designed SMPS is quite adequate. That's what's used in my Benchmark DACs, and they sound spectacular! For a bit more insight, check out https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/ap...audio-myth-switching-power-supplies-are-noisy.

This ones pre built. There’s a guy selling it on eBay. Nice little box too. It has an IQaudio Pi-Digi+ H.A.T on it that gives co-axial and optical outputs (SPDIF and Toslink)

There is also a 3.5mm headphones jack
I am not sure if the original question was exactly answered. If it's the eBay item I found (which exactly corresponds to your description, but I may be wrong) it looks like it is supplied with Volumio as the streamer software. I am assuming that is pre-installed (which is not exactly clear) and you want it to communicate with a Logitech Media Server (LMS) for your music, controlled by iPeng.

AIUI LMS only works with a Squeezelite player. The communication protocol between these two seems to be proprietary. However from a quick peruse of the Volumio forum I see discussion of a squeezelite plugin, which I assume implements the protocol on Volumio. I think that installing that should allow Volumio to communicate with a separate LMS and be controlled by iPeng. And I see discussion of a LMS plugin for Volumio so running LMS on the Volumio box may also be possible. However, beware of this input because I have not tried it myself - I use LMS/Squeezelite controlled by iPeng on my R.Pi but via PiCorePlayer instead.

AIUI LMS only works with a Squeezelite player. The communication protocol between these two seems to be proprietary. However from a quick peruse of the Volumio forum I see discussion of a squeezelite plugin, which I assume implements the protocol on Volumio. I think that installing that should allow Volumio to communicate with a separate LMS and be controlled by iPeng. And I see discussion of a LMS plugin for Volumio so running LMS on the Volumio box may also be possible. However, beware of this input because I have not tried it myself - I use LMS/Squeezelite controlled by iPeng on my R.Pi but via PiCorePlayer instead.

LMOS works with any player (hardware/software) that implements the SLiMP3/squeezebox protocol. The protocol is not well documented, but the code implementing it (both server and client) are open source.

LMOS works with any player (hardware/software) that implements the SLiMP3/squeezebox protocol. The protocol is not well documented, but the code implementing it (both server and client) are open source.
Thanks. That's a better way to put it.

My uncertainty is whether or not the pre-built streamer referred to means just hardware or hardware and software. And whether it comes with Volumio installed or not. A basic Volumio install does not seem to be compatible with LMS. However it does seem like LMS and iPeng can be supported by installing available plug-ins. Of course the OP could just install PiCorePlayer.

advertisement

Back