advertisement

Is Rega now bigger than Linn?

Nigel

pfm Member
Gotta be hasn't it?

Going back to the eighties, used to be Linn, Naim, Rega. In that order. Surely no longer the case? Good luck to them, always seem great value for money and exceptional after sales customer service.

In 2018, Linn turned over £16m, Rega £13m. They did generate more profit than Linn on that smaller turnover though. I wonder what the cost of goods is on an RP10?

In 2018, Linn turned over £16m, Rega £13m. They did generate more profit than Linn on that smaller turnover though. I wonder what the cost of goods is on an RP10?
16 million does not seem a lot of money given the size of the factory and number of employees at Linn.

This backs up my earlier comments about Linn & how their marketing power has been massively exagerated. They are a relatively tiny company with very little power in a hyper niche industry.

This backs up my earlier comments about Linn & how their marketing power has been massively exagerated. They are a relatively tiny company with very little power in a hyper niche industry.
Thanks I feel a whole lot better for that news. Jokes aside does it matter a company's size to how sound quality is ?

Thanks I feel a whole lot better for that news. Jokes aside does it matter a company's size to how sound quality is ?
No, the size of the company is irrelevant to SQ. It is nice if the company is around for when things go wrong though. I have an LP12 myself so not a Linn hater.

No, the size of the company is irrelevant to SQ. It is nice if the company is around for when things go wrong though. I have an LP12 myself so not a Linn hater.
Have had a few Linn systems over the years now not. Linn are a very innovative company doing a lot of research into electronics. They bought a metal cutting machine recently to bring case work in house. I'm all for any British hifi maker to do well.

It's just that I was reading a Roy Gandy interview last night. I was thinking back to the time when Rega offered a couple of turntables, a few cartridges and the wall shelf. Back to the days when the turntable of desire was the Linn Sondek LP12. That desire was still in reach for ordinary folk. Even I eventually purchased one. I don't know what the current LP12 price of entry is but I suspect it might be beyond a family man on average wages. On the other hand, Rega have hugely expanded their product portfolio but still cater within that range for the average person. It's not unobtainable. It occurred to me that Rega's business model may have proved more successful to the point where they have now overtaken Linn.

Rega were always seen as the little guy, fighting against 'the man', now they are 'the man'. Rega have ridden the wave of the vinyl revival with a wide range of turntables which offer a clear upgrade path. Not a million miles away from what Linn used to do (they had 3 models at one time I recall) but they slimmed down to one with, yes, a clear upgrade path. Somehow Linn have become the devil incarnate for this whereas Rega are still seen as golden.

advertisement

Back