advertisement

Vast Brexit thread merge part VI

This happens in Portugal with Air Force pilots. If the pilot wishes to switch to commercial flying before the end of the grace(?) period then he (or his employer) must pay a hefty charge.
I don't disagree with the principle but to be fair, though, training an air force pilot is vastly more expensive than training a doctor or a nurse.

The "does not train" was tongue in cheek; it trains but they are under-trained comparatively to Spanish and Portuguese nurses.

Most of our friends are doctors and a few are nurses originally from EU countries. I trust their judgement.

Last year at a thanksgiving lunch an young just-off-the-Uni British nurse agreed with their assessment.

I'm told that at least two of the software packages used in hospitals are hardly fit for purpose (comparatively).

The NHS needs more funding if it's to perform at the level of the best European services. It might not be a bad idea to look at others for guidance/reference either.
In Portugal there's a moderating tax, with the user being charged a small percentage of the cost according to the previous year's tax return (lower tier gets free treatment). The UK though not filthy rich does have very rich people who live here, should the funding come from taxing those fortunes or from the end user?

Buy the time we take out the 'does not train' and remove the 'extremely limited competences' your point does not actually have one, does it?

Buy the time we take out the 'does not train' and remove the 'extremely limited competences' your point does not actually have one, does it?

You can take out all you want. You can even report my post to the mods and then there won't be one...

What else do you want to play that game with? Can we try Brexit?

I know a few NHS consultants who said they’d wished they’d taken the opportunity and gone to work in NZ. One is the director of a national strategic service. I’m afraid the way hospital doctors have been treated since 2010 is driving many of them to part time working, gap years and emigration. Do you know how many consultant posts are unfilled in the UK? Tory government Hostile Environment II.

From what I've learned first hand, I'd say that by the time junior doctors are through with their training they've had enough.

Underfunded, understaffed, unrealistic goals, assembly line mentality = hostility.

You can take out all you want. You can even report my post to the mods and then there won't be one...

What else do you want to play that game with? Can we try Brexit?
I have never reported anything to mods. A grass I never was.
Brexit? Sure, fire away.

Aren't UK doctors paying for their training from their own pockets?

Partly.

"On average it costs £220,000 to train a doctor over their five-year degree. Most of the training is paid for by the government but some tuition fees - plus rent and living costs - are paid for by the student."

Stephen

As if the Brexit thread couldn't get more depressing, PFM advertising has just offered me a "free pre-paid funeral plan".

Partly.

"On average it costs £220,000 to train a doctor over their five-year degree. Most of the training is paid for by the government but some tuition fees - plus rent and living costs - are paid for by the student."

Stephen

How much are tuition fees in the UK on average? In Portugal you'd pay 1000€/year x 6 years.

The idea was that £9k would be top whack, charged by Oxbridge and that other universities would charge less. Unsurprisingly, none decided to label themselves as the cut-price university!

The idea was that £9k would be top whack, charged by Oxbridge and that other universities would charge less. Unsurprisingly, none decided to label themselves as the cut-price university!
I doubt that was the actual idea, more like it was put around as the idea and the gullible believed it.

advertisement

Back