advertisement

Cartridge set up

Spencerfrater

pfm Member
If I’m getting slightly more output through one channel, could this be something to do with cartridge set up? I think I’ve eliminated most other potential causes.
I think I’ve heard that a sub-optimal azimuth can cause this.
If this is the case, and the weaker channel is say the right channel, which way should I adjust the azimuth, looking at the front of the cartridge?
Thanks

Tonearm?
Unless a unipivot, azimuth is unlikely to be a problem and if it is, a pain to adjust to say the least.
Try anti-skate adjustment first unless you have a simple template to judge azimuth and see that it is out. Change a little, say half a gramme, have a listen, etc. etc.

If you have an LP with a blank side (I have a couple but am damned if I can remember what they are....…………), anti-skate is simplest to set by using that - the tonearm should remain stationary in terms of tracking across the groove-less record when tracking/anti-skate/bias is spot on.

I don’t think it’s anti skate / bias - sounds OK on the HiFi News test record, and I’ve played with this a bit.
The reason I’m thinking azimuth is because when I put a spirit level across the headshell (perpendicular to the tonearm) it’s not perfectly level. This is not adjustable on my tonearm (RB300). But I would’ve thought azimuth can be adjusted by using one of those slightly compressible cartridge mounting pads and tightening one mounting bolt more than the other?
(But I don’t have one of those pads so just wondered before doing this whether azimuth could be a reason for the channel output imbalance)

OK on the test record, but not on music?????????????????

But the test record is just the equivalent of a normal music LP but with L and R separated.

I would not trust a bubble level on a tonearm headshell - far better to use a template, something like this -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07L8WNWRJ/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
That is an odd issue. A defective cartridge? I don’t think a bad alignment can have such an effect. Does the cartridge distorts at all?
Also we would like photos of your setup please (different angles).
Are you a beginner?

Test records with unrecorded bands for setting up bias can result in being way out!

If using a MM set bias same as downforce. If MC then a bit less, about 1.5 bias for 2g downforce, and then experiment by ear but those figures will be damn close.

Yes balance even on CD playback.
Deck is level.
Haven’t really picked the issue up on the test record as it’s only slight, and one only listens to the test record for a few short segments to test bias / anti skate.
Using MM and bias same as downforce - 1.75g - have also played with this without success.
I’ll need to get one of those templates then @Vinny

My question still stands though: can adjusting azimuth (or VTA) help balance the output?

Not really... unless way out maybe. Check the tags on the cart. use some small pliers to slide them up and down on cart (very carefully!!) which should clean any muck off. Unplug and replug the TT from the phono input on amp/phono stage a few times also.

My Ittok LVIII has always had a visually obvious azimuth issue. After talking to a well-known arm guru he told me that this is not the first Ittok to have this issue and he suggested using a spacer under one of the three arm collar bolts. I made mine from an old credit card using a paper punch/drill. I still have my balance problem so fitted 2 separate volume controls to my A21SE. Seems OK as solutions go.

Swap R&L to R&L inputs to the amp - see if it goes with the turntable or the amo.
Did have an issue recently with switching in pre due to poor soldering - maybe poor connection on RCA or in phono switch.

advertisement

Back