advertisement

Vast Brexit thread merge part VI

I agree but the point is you rarely see a post from that quarter concerning the actions advocated against Miller but comfortable posting a rebuke on something that is very minor by comparison.
Similar to the outrage concerning the cat calling at Mogg outside parliament. Call that out as a terrible thing but stay silent on the Miller stuff.
Yup. Some people's outrage-meters are highly selective and poorly calibrated.

not quite, but if you take emotion out of it and add up the human misery and division he has caused since the accident and contrast that to the misery that would have been caused should he have not survived, the ledger is very one sided.

Indeed. The ERG wing of the Conservative party are advocating policy that will undoubtably lead to the earlier deaths of hundreds of thousands of people in the UK and abroad annually.

Farage is advocating policy that is even worse.

ERGO: If Farage had died before being able to help (just) make these policies a realistic possibility the world would be a better place.

No, he wished someone had died.

That is registering an emotion, isn't it? A feeling about a past event?

Would it be Ok to wish that you had died at birth ?...save us having to read your posts ?...would that be OK in your eyes ?

Who else shall we wish this on ? Can we start a list ?. A list of people whom we merely disagree with that we would like to be dead ?.

Before you start on me..I don't like Farage.

I’d far prefer to see Farage (and his pimp) viewed as obviously wrong, corrupt and hated by the section of society he has so cynically and deliberately misled/scammed. I suspect a little patience is all I will need here. His place in history is assured, just not at all in the way he thinks. He deserves to go down as a conman who acted directly against the interests of his country for entirely corrupt and self-interested reasons. He’s toast, he just hasn’t quite popped up yet.

Had Farage perished in that crash, and his message not become so widespread and toxic, I very much doubt that Jo Cox would have been murdered by a gullible far right nut-job. Or at all.

I’d far prefer to see Farage (and his pimp) viewed as obviously wrong, corrupt and hated by the section of society he has so cynically and deliberately misled/scammed. I suspect a little patience is all I will need here. His place in history is assured, just not at all in the way he thinks. He deserves to go down in history as a conman who acted directly against the interests of his country for entirely corrupt self-interest. He’s toast, he just hasn’t quite popped up yet.
The only chance of that is if wrongdoing is proven. C4 I think it was made some accusations that Farage benefitted from research that he should not have had access to before the result of the referendum was announced. They said in conceding defeat the market in sterling was manipulated and that he made money. If this is true he should be busted for it.
Can’t see that case being pursued under a Tory or LibDem government, but it might be if a Corbyn led government was elected.
Yes the judiciary are supposed to uphold the law but they seem awfully selective which laws get upheld.

I’d far prefer to see Farage (and his pimp) viewed as obviously wrong, corrupt and hated by the section of society he has so cynically and deliberately misled/scammed. I suspect a little patience is all I will need here. His place in history is assured, just not at all in the way he thinks. He deserves to go down as a conman who acted directly against the interests of his country for entirely corrupt and self-interested reasons. He’s toast, he just hasn’t quite popped up yet.

Keep him in the toaster a little longer and he'll burn maybe?

The only chance of that is if wrongdoing is proven. C4 I think it was made some accusations that Farage benefitted from research that he should not have had access to before the result of the referendum was announced. They said in conceding defeat the market in sterling was manipulated and that he made money. If this is true he should be busted for it.

I suspect the backlash will be rather more simple and hard hitting. Assuming Johnson takes us to Brexit (any Brexit) the penny will eventually drop with the hundreds of thousands of ex-auto, ex-aviation and workers in every other EU-facing manufacturing sector that they are destined for the dole likely for the rest of their lives unless they pull their finger out and actually create their own job. The burden on the still-working to foot the bill will be considerable, so the ‘austerity’ that is coming will likely make the last decade look like a picnic. They will also be caught by negative equity and likely lose their homes in bankruptcy and foreclosure etc. At that point the penny might drop that Farage and his billionaire pimp (plus much of the Tory party), who will be counting their huge profits made by shorting these industries and the now spiralling £, might not have been on their side after all. It will all come too late to avert the catastrophe, but I suspect blame will find its target in the end.

So the Daily Hate, Scum, Torygraph, BBC etc will turn on their own? The electorate has shown itself to be pretty dumb so far.

So the Daily Hate, Scum, Torygraph, BBC etc will turn on their own? The electorate has shown itself to be pretty dumb so far.

The tabloids are dead on their feet, tiny readership compared to the past. I doubt you’ll find anyone under 35 who has ever bought a newspaper of any type, let alone something as dumb as a tabloid. People just don’t use paper news these days. I bet the Daily Mail readership bell-curve averages at 60, the Telegraph about 75. They’ll all be gone in a decade, which in some ways is annoying as I do read the Guardian online now an again.

PS I was watching a Louis Rossmann YouTube video a couple of days ago (Macbook repair/‘right to repair’ activist) and at one point someone asked him could they borrow a pen, he responded “I’m sorry, but I’m under 40!”.

but if you take emotion out of it and add up the human misery and division he has caused since the accident and contrast that to the misery that would have been caused should he have not survived, the ledger is very one sided.

This could form the basis of a new immigration policy.

Anyone coming in - rigorous new points based policy for everyone. We know they are good eggs.

But we can't increase the population any further. Referendum said no.

So we have quick look through the database for the worst kind of despicable bastards that we don't want in the country, you know - murderers, despicable liars, foreign agents, traitors trying undermine the country and make a mint. Ah, Hindley - no, dead ; Shipman, no likewise ; Saville, I really wish they'd keep this up to date - - now, Farage; Gove; Johnson; Banks; Dacre; Yep - chuck that lot in the bin and we can staff the new cardiac unit in Queens with nurses.

The population would have to go up for births though, unless for each baby you did the same and chucked someone overboard from the SS Britain. Assuming the baby was blameless. Unless the parents of the baby were similar to Myra Hindley and Ian Brady. In which case you might chuck the baby in the ocean and keep a serial flasher from Bromsgrove instead, or whomever was next on the carefully curated list of worst people in Britain.

We could have a whole heap of tabloid headline fun deciding on the criteria for the list. How many points for each perversion? Is self-exposure in a children's playground better or worse than defecating during a church service? Planning Brexit or lying about why we have to invade Iraq?

The rules might be regional. Both having an abortion and wearing orange might me considered poor form in NI. Whereas in Essex the strict restriction about white socks with a dark suit could be lifted.

George Soros: ‘Brexit hurts both sides – my money was used to educate the British public’
The philanthropist who has spent billions promoting democracy talks populism, Trump and powerful enemies

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...hurts-both-sides-money-educate-british-public

It is now rare for a week to go by without a populist politician painting Soros as a ruthless Bond villain with nefarious plans to reshape the planet. Last year, Trump suggested that Soros might be paying illegal migrants to come to the US; in Turkey, President Erdoğan has called him “a man who assigns people to divide nations and shatter them”; in Italy, Matteo Salvini has claimed Soros wants the country “to become a giant refugee camp because he likes slaves”. Last month, Soros’s financial support for the anti-Brexit Best for Britain group led Jacob Rees-Mogg to call him the “Remoaner-in-chief” in parliament. Nigel Farage has called him “the biggest danger to the entire western world”.

As a reporter based in eastern Europe, I have had a ringside seat to the political hostility Soros has faced over the years. I spent a decade in Russia, where Vladimir Putin blamed him for organising revolutions in neighbouring countries; in 2015, his philanthropic foundations were banned from the country as a “threat to state security”. Last year I moved to Budapest, the city of Soros’s birth, where the far-right Hungarian prime minister, Viktor Orbán, had taken Soros-baiting to a new level, erecting thousands of billboards featuring a cackling Soros, warning Hungarians not to let him “have the last laugh”.

(...)

What sustains him, I ask, particularly given the recent intensity of the attacks he has faced? “It challenges me and therefore it energises me,” he says with a smile, in his still-strong Hungarian accent. “When I look at the list of people, or movements, or countries who are attacking me, it makes me feel I must be doing something right. I’m proud of the enemies I have.”

advertisement

Back