advertisement

Labour to abolish independent schools?

Should we abolish independent schools in the UK?

• Yes

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • No

Votes: 57 70.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters
I would ban anyone who went to private school and then did PPE at Oxford from being in government or a company director. Strictly speaking I might be making a correlation is not equal to causation error here but I think it's worth a punt.

Exactly. Double balls.

One year's school fees for ONE kid is the equivalent of a years salary for 'ard workin' families.
This is about wealth and privilege.

Treble balls.

A mid range BMW or Audi is equivalent of a years salary for hard working families . Lots of people on here have such vehicles and still sleep soundly.

Its all about wealth.

Quadruple balls.

The average termly independent boarding school fees are now over £11000 per TERM.

Day schools over £6000 per TERM.

So ordinary Joe taxi driver, fishmonger, shop keeper is putting £33000 aside per year to send 1 child to boarding school.

Ordinary backgrounds my arse.

i know two, one of whom i went to uni with, both went to fee paying independent schools

My point was to disprove ET's point that Graun journalists all went to private schools. Also I know four so my point is twice as powerful as yours.

I would ban anyone who went to private school and then did PPE at Oxford from being in government or a company director. Strictly speaking I might be making a correlation is not equal to causation error here but I think it's worth a punt.
It's the ones that do fluffy stuff about the past that you need to look out for.

Boris - Classics
Michael - English Literature
Jacob - Classics
Daniel - History

My point was to disprove ET's point that Graun journalists all went to private schools. Also I know four so my point is twice as powerful as yours.
You must know that this doesn’t disprove his point, unless you’re taking it very literally!

it’s simply undeniable that the privately educated are massively over-represented in journalism - the stats are a google away - and that isn’t negated by the fact that you know some who were not privately educated. I remember Owen Jones being absolutely mauled for making this basic point.

By the way knowing 4 Guardian journalists certainly places you within a certain milieu, and regardless of the journos’ education, if the privately educated weren’t over-represented in that set I’d be amazed.

Exactly. Double balls.

One year's school fees for ONE kid is the equivalent of a years salary for 'ard workin' families.
This is about wealth and privilege.

Many families afford the fees by both parents working, obtaining a bursary and restricting holidays and spending.

The fees at our local posh school are £14 500 per year, per kid, lunches not included. There's not many that can be saving that amount from the holiday budget - the average annual income is £27k gross each...

Quadruple balls.

The average termly independent boarding school fees are now over £11000 per TERM.

Day schools over £6000 per TERM.

So ordinary Joe taxi driver, fishmonger, shop keeper is putting £33000 aside per year to send 1 child to boarding school.

Ordinary backgrounds my arse.
Bob the taxi driver etc (unless they own the company) would probably not pay £18000 a year. Schools need the business and they work out what parents can afford to pay and apply a bursary discount. Additional siblings get a discount and actually the total may not be much different if one or more children attend the school.

You must know that this doesn’t disprove his point, unless you’re taking it very literally!

Well I suppose I could have let his snarky claim that all Guardian journalists went to private school stand but I felt it worth correcting the record. If it helps I know even more Sun journalists and they were all left school at 16, state school, salt of the earth types.

Bob the taxi driver etc (unless they own the company) would probably not pay £18000 a year. Schools need the business and they work out what parents can afford to pay and apply a bursary discount. Additional siblings get a discount and actually the total may not be much different if one or more children attend the school.

Quintuple balls.

are you actually trying to say that every person who can’t pay full fees gets a bursary?

It may hold true at some second rate private school desperate for pupils but I am sure the Chinese and Russians are more than happy to pay the full fees at the schools that secure status.

Eton has 1300 pupils.
It offers 250 bursaries.

Not true in the 2 private schools my kids were at in UK. But it is true in their current school in Strasbourg....If you are earning under 100k you get it for half the amount.

advertisement

Back