advertisement

Labour to abolish independent schools?

Should we abolish independent schools in the UK?

• Yes

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • No

Votes: 57 70.4%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters
Tangential but the alarm is a separate mechanism from the time-keeping one.

It needs winding each time it is set.

a ) it never stated that.

b) it only needs winding if you let it run down to nothing when the alarm goes off.

:rolleyes:

Question 2 presumes no 24 hr mechanical alarm clocks exist. Given the inventiveness of clockmakers over the years, I can't believe this to be the case.

It also assumes that the clock is set to the winder's time zone. You can set the clock at 8PM, but that would be 3PM on the clock if it were set to US Eastern time*.

*The UK and US adjust their clocks on different dates, so for a couple of weeks every year the difference isn't five hours.

mr corbyn will need to be careful of not biting off the hands he needs to feed from. In order to implement his policies he needs tax take, and being draconian and authoritarian, will eventually mean the super-rich, will leave the UK and we will be left with nowhere near the tax take to increase spending on the NHS, Education, Social Welfare.......scare off the people you are going to make money from, and we'll be left where we are currently. It needs subtlety and balance.............

I'd prefer to see target quotas in public institutions, like we have with gender, race and disability, for private/state school educated in the proportions that exist in the school system.

So, for example, universities (both student and staff), NHS, the judiciary, Parliament and civil service would have to move towards a ratio approximating the numbers of children which go to each type of school.

I'd also like to see Parliamentarians having to use public institutions when in office, bu that's not going to happen.

Stephen
Maybe this combined with a better run and funded state school sector.

Think of schools for the deaf and the blind before you all call for the abolition of independent schools and their charitable status please.

Very good point regarding charitable status, I’d not thought about that and would now suggest it be assessed on a case by case basis.

This is one where I'm not with Labour. Yes, there are lot of problems with independent schools, but I've always been in favour of choice in the education system. Parents want the best for their children, and if they have the money to do it, then I don't see why not.
The hypocrisy in Labour's policy is that many people in their own party support this but went to independent schools, or have children who go to these schools, themselves.

It is also quite extraordinarily authoritarian. I really don’t want to live anywhere where the state dictates behaviour to that extent. This sort of ‘politics of envy’ stuff really does Labour no favours. I’m all in favour of progressive taxation and serious investment in all aspects of the state, but the government should also support freedom of choice and personal liberty.

And...as I said, there is only one Eton and hundreds and hundreds of other types of independent schools that are doing great work with the disabled and the disadvantaged. Think of schools for the deaf and the blind before you all call for the abolition of independent schools and their charitable status please.

That's a red herring for the apologists, schools for those with special needs can easily retain charitable status. I should say, and I don't know about deaf people, but blind people have been campaigning for integration with the mainstream, and not for separate schools, for many years.

Once the rich kids have to go to state schools then they'll have to start funding them properly. It's the same as the old argument around grammars and the secondary modern sink schools.

Private schools not only benefit from charitable status but enjoy tax privileges that even the Spectator agrees offers unfair advantage. Other tax advantages, and avoidances here

Further, the practice of paying to send your kid to a private prep school in order to get them into a Grammar School is unacceptable.

There are many other financial advantages that could and should be removed, but not sure that an outright ban of private schools is the answer. What should be banned however is politicians who send their kids to private schools saying that class sizes don’t matter when they’re supporting cuts to state school funding.

Very good point regarding charitable status, I’d not thought about that and would now suggest it be assessed on a case by case basis.

And that is when it gets really messy.

Charities merely need to be non profit-making to be charities. ( a few more hoops than that but the main point is non-profit )

I could pay myself £3 million a year in bonus's to mop up any profit that year and thus comply to the non-profit stricture.

There are nearly 190.000 registered charities in the UK... micro checking the accounts for them all , all the time , is beyond the capabilities of the Charities Commission .

, schools for those with special needs can easily retain charitable status.

And so could Eton under the same rules. You have to have laws that are fair and treat all equally or they will be challenged ( and beaten down ) in the courts.

And so could Eton under the same rules. You have to have laws that are fair and treat all equally or they will be challenged ( and beaten down ) in the courts.

I wasn't aware that priviledge was a part of the Equality Act.

I wasn't aware that priviledge was a part of the Equality Act.

Jesus... you are so blinkered.

Eton must comply to all the rules governing charity status and I imagine that it does.

Your hatred of its perceived privilege has no bearing on that fact. You don't get the right to abolish their charitable status because "you just don't like them "

And the Equality Act was the wrong one to invoke in this conversation. It is simply the law of the land that Laws apply equally and fairly to all and not "except Eton which I don't like"

Jesus... you are so blinkered.

Eton must comply to all the rules governing charity status and I imagine that it does.

Your hatred of its perceived privilege has no bearing on that fact. You don't get the right to abolish their charitable status because "you just don't like them "

And the Equality Act was the wrong one to invoke in this conversation. It is simply the law of the land that Laws apply equally and fairly to all and not "except Eton which I don't like"

That doesn't wash I'm afraid, the reason I'm against private schools is because it allows the state schools to be run as a second/third class service - you've obviously very little idea of the problems currently facing the state sector - I bet there aren't any independent schools that have to rely on a cluster of 10 year old computers just for example. We were asked to buy our kid, who started in year 11 in September, a Chromebook. The School also can't do printing of homework question sheets for the kids to write on. Meanwhile the privileged are given tax breaks to send their kids to the independent sector - it matters not if the tax perks apply to the School or to individuals, it's still a tax perk.

If a bear appears white then it is white isn’t it ? - taking the frame of reference as mean atmospheric conditions on planet Earth in the daytime.

advertisement

Back