advertisement

Siegfried Linkwitz LX-mini Speakers

davidjt

pfm Member
Reading up on SL's LX521 mentioned elsewhere, I came across the mini version which would work in my more restricted space. With no way to audition them before spending the money it was reassuring to discover that Nelson Pass was sufficiently impressed to design an analogue crossover for them. Reasonably confident that I can put one of those together, and able to order a kit for the speakers themselves from Germany, it seems I have yet another project under way.

At least one fishie is running the '521s, but I'd be interested to know if anyone is running the minis with or without the subs, and if so how they compare with more conventional designs and/or ESLs.

Wish you hadn't posted this, especially with the simplification of the (Nelson Pass) active cross-over rather than DSP. ;)
AP

I love my '57s, and Class A is by far my favourite amp topology at the moment.

These will be very different, and a majority of users appear to employ multiple Class D amplifiers. 4 x 50W Class As would make a central heating system redundant, but maybe the Korg nutube pre-amp will inject some of the magic I'm hooked on. Every time I think I'm near journey's end.......:rolleyes:

Have listened to these a couple of times - the first time at Axpona in the Madisound room. both myself and the friend who were visiting the Chicago Axpona show 3 or 4? years ago- walked into the room and were stopped in our tracks - had heard a bunch of systems that sold for crazy money already-these just plain smoked 'em.Amazing and for about 2-5% of the bling-fi we'd been listening to. Bought a pair from madisound and then stumbled into a Meridian DSP-5000 system for relative peanuts - Meridians have become anchored in the listening room. I need to finish some (OK- a bunch of) home renovations so that I have another room appropriate for the LX-minis -but these are pretty amazing speakers - and one of these weekends I'll finish 'em and start to enjoy them (-: .

I haven't thought much of Linkwitz's earlier designs but a fair bit looks right about this one. The use of a wideband driver will limit sound quality to some extent as can be seen in the raggedness of the curves but the off-axis distribution above 1 kHz looks rather good and you will hear that. It will be interesting to know what you think after construction so please report back.

There's nothing challenging about putting them together - you do need to use amp(s) that won't toss it's cookies into a 2 ohm load.

I don't follow the reasoning behind that last comment - obviously have more reading to do, if only the specs of the SEAS drivers.

It's a strange pre-occupation in some ways.

It had rained on and off for a few days, I was bored...... and now there are parts on their way from the U.S., the U.K., Germany, Italy and France. It's exciting.

Then, with the kit I already have, the Four Last Songs (Jessye Norman) followed by Death and the Maiden are just so beautiful I'm wondering why I bothered.
For a while, anyway.

You will be pondering the value of something you have partly created, will be hearing significantly different sounds after spending a reasonably justifiable amount for a hobby interest. Others on this site are struggling to get delivered expensive audiophile hardware they have already paid for or partially paid for which will in all likelihood have the same real world technical performance as the hardware they already possess. Will the pre-occupation be strange enough for them to get as much value from their activity as you from yours?

Well, I hope so as I have a foot in both camps. Each is a way to achieve performance which would otherwise be unaffordable, and one permits some progress (and some satisfaction) while waiting for the other.
It's music that triggers the quest for technical perfection in the first place, but at some point it's also music that provides the antidote. Which is pretty strange.
I blame the wine.

Well, I hope so as I have a foot in both camps. Each is a way to achieve performance which would otherwise be unaffordable, and one permits some progress (and some satisfaction) while waiting for the other.

But this simply isn't true. There is no performance difference never mind advantage for a large proportion of audiophile hardware. Where there are significant and real performance advantages such as adequately sized drivers, controlled off-axis radiation, room response control, multi-channel, etc... there is usually little interest. Whatever pleasure most audiophiles are deriving from their hardware it isn't performance in any real technical sense.

Value for money in terms of performance when DIYing is also not clear. For modest 2 ways a DIYer has to pay more for the parts than it would cost to buy a finished mass produced equivalent plus the resale value will be a lot less. Value from such speakers has to come from other sources which for many it does.

Large DIY speakers offer more of a chance to pay less in parts than the price of a commercial equivalent. The bigger issue here tends to be the knowledge and skill to achieve a high standard of design, finish and performance in order to match the expensive commercial equivalents. In addition, most commercial speakers with real technical advantages in their drivers, electronic control, materials, manufacturing,... are not available to DIYers as parts but only complete speakers.

It's music that triggers the quest for technical perfection in the first place, but at some point it's also music that provides the antidote. Which is pretty strange.
I blame the wine.
No I don't think music itself has much to do with the quest. Many that are passionate about music have no interest in the hardware once the performance is above a threshold where linear and nonlinear distortions don't intrude on the comprehension of the music. This is achievable with hardware that for many audiophiles would be well below a level they would consider. In addition, if you compare the comments of audiophiles that have visited shows with what you yourself heard when visiting the same shows it will become apparent that many are not seeking, and not attracted to, a high technical performance. Nothing wrong with this but it does cause a degree of confusion and sometimes conflict when technical performance and attractive sound effects are not distinguished.

OK, poor choice of words/shorthand. For 'technical perfection' read 'better sound reproduction, whatever that happens to mean for the individual concerned.'

See also Nelson Pass: 'There is no such thing as a perfect amplifier. All audiophiles and their associated equipment have specific needs....'

Different strokes, etc.

See also Nelson Pass: 'There is no such thing as a perfect amplifier. All audiophiles and their associated equipment have specific needs....'
I would suggest caution when it comes to pronouncements from personalities that make a living from expensive audiophile hardware. Obviously all amplifiers distort but those with inaudible levels of distortion when driving the required speaker load are fully meeting what is required in terms of maximising technical performance in this respect. The (real) engineering tasks then become things like how to do it more efficiently, at lower cost and with a longer in service life. So yes the performance of amplifiers can be improved but not necessarily along the lines suggested by those involved in marketing audiophile hardware.

However, sales considerations are important if a product is going to get bought and make a profit. This can place requirements on the engineering that does not follow from considerations of genuine technical performance alone but perceived performance by potential customers. An example of this was the excessive emphasis placed on the THD figure for an amplifier into an 8 ohm load at 1 kHz in the early 70s.

Where there are significant and real performance advantages such as adequately sized drivers, controlled off-axis radiation, room response control, multi-channel, etc... there is usually little interest.

I'm interested, but same question as on the other thread (CAOW1): "please provide some examples".

If you haven't already seen (on Youtube) Linkwitz's last presentation to BA before he died, he explains the reasoning behind his last designs. One of the attractions (for me) is that they attempt to address some of the above issues.

Parts have begun to arrive - in a week or two I should be able to comment. Naturally YMMV as always, and doubters will doubt, regardless.

Where there are significant and real performance advantages such as adequately sized drivers, controlled off-axis radiation, room response control, multi-channel, etc... there is usually little interest.

So once again, as in the CAOW1 thread, you tell us what we are all doing wrong but don't seem able to provide any examples of how it is done right (in your opinion).

advertisement

Back