advertisement

Vast Brexit thread merge part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m still in a state of shock and physical repulsion that Sky is unquestionably better on the detail and less biased than the BBC! I watch it as my default TV news now, topped up with C4 and Newsnight. I’ve all but given up on BBC News 24 and Politics Live.

I’m still in a state of shock and physical repulsion that Sky is unquestionably better on the detail and less biased than the BBC! I watch it as my default TV news now, topped up with C4 and Newsnight. I’ve all but given up on BBC News 24 and Politics Live.

I ordered it about a month ago now that Murdoch/Fox has nothing to do with it and have been quite impressed.

The BBC has been the Conservative propaganda agency for a few years now and the only thing I bother with is the Friday news quiz.

I ordered it about a month ago now that Murdoch/Fox has nothing to do with it and have been quite impressed.

I’m just on Freeview, so I only get low-res for Sky News (which is annoyingly obvious on a 50” TV), so a true content vs. aesthetics decision against the HD-res BBC!

I’m just on Freeview, so I only get low-res for Sky News (which is annoyingly obvious on a 50” TV), so a true content vs. aesthetics decision against the HD-res BBC!

Is low re-news less stressful to watch?

I listen to the radio so I don't have to see Johnson's smirk when he lies.

Stephen

This.

"Last year, he [Johnson] told the Democratic Unionist party that a border in the Irish Sea “would be damaging to the fabric of the union”. He jutted out what passes for his jaw and with a Churchillian boom thundered: “I have to tell you that no British Conservative government could or should sign up to any such arrangement.”

Last week, he signed up to “such an arrangement” because betraying his allies wins him the game of politics. Dixon (inOn the Psychology of Military Incompetence,) noticed “an underestimation, sometimes bordering on the arrogant, of the enemy”. And one thinks of Dominic Cummings, so lost in his deluded machismo that he told EU countries that they “will go to the bottom of the queue” if they dared challenge the mighty Britain. A mere fortnight later, Johnson capitulated to Brussels so thoroughly the EU will no longer has to worry about the Irish border and can adopt the toughest of stances when and if trade negotiations begin."

Can Conservatives not see that Johnson's deal is precisely what the EU wanted (given the red lines)? I suppose they still think they can just crash us out in two years when no-one will notice (!) as we'll have supposedly 'left with a deal' in October.
Stephen

Do a deal with them, chuck a few Sky banners up the top of the website and get a Sky package from them for free.

Be better than the frigging dentures and back brace ones I seem to be getting displayed recently, really bloody annoying to be reminded by a sodding website that I'm approaching 50 now.

Last night's late evening news on BBC1 had Huw and Laura live from Westminster, which was understandable. The "other big news story of the day" from the studio was England beating Australia at rugby. o_O
It was also stated that "thousands" joined the march for a seccond vote, which was true. It would have been more informative to say "tens of thousands" or even "hundreds of thousands", but they don't want to get too carried away in case it sends the wrong message.

Good old impartial $ky:

Screenshot-2019-10-20-Sara-Gibbs-on-Twitter-I-m-no-expert-but-th.png

According to Letwin on Marr today the whole point of the amendment was to prevent a no deal. He said he would vote for the BJ deal as he did with Mays deals in the past.

It removes the possibility of accidentally exiting with no deal because there is not time to debate the exit bill properly before Oct 31st. So the effect is to give more time to the proper debate and to allow amendments to be attached, etc.

Whatever one thinks of Brexit, passing this bill yesterday with barely any time to read it let alone debate it would have been foolish beyond belief.

Good old impartial $ky:

Sky don't have to be totally impartial, same with any news channel you watch the content and decide for yourself what your opinion is.

(Unless of course you can't think for yourself and believe everything that comes out of the magic picture box like the 52%)

The BBC has been the Conservative propaganda agency for a few years now and the only thing I bother with is the Friday news quiz.

Indeed.. and it still amazes me that despite their huge and expensive journalistic resource.. the only people they can find when looking for 'the man/woman in the street', are ones who are signally incapable of stringing two words together to make a coherent phrase.. much less a sentence.

Sky don't have to be totally impartial, same with any news channel you watch the content and decide for yourself what your opinion is.

(Unless of course you can't think for yourself and believe everything that comes out of the magic picture box like the 52%)
They’re bound by due impartiality rules, like all broadcasters in the UK. Without the rules British TV news would be like the British press. Nothing to do with people not being able to think for themselves, just an acknowledgement that billionaires with media empires at their disposal are capable of creating an absolutely toxic climate of opinion.

They’re bound by due impartiality rules, like all broadcasters in the UK. Without the rules British TV news would be like the British press. Nothing to do with people not being able to think for themselves, just an acknowledgement that billionaires with media empires at their disposal are capable of creating an absolutely toxic climate of opinion.

And more or less from the outset it has been a condition under the Broadcasting Bill of Murdoch being allowed to run his satellite channels that BSkyB include a proper, regulated news channel.

They have won the RTS News Channel of the Year a bunch of times as well.

Full Disclosure: One of my best friends has a show on Sky News.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back