advertisement

Way to go Greta

No justification for the actions of some but:
"Many commuters were left scratching their heads this morning, bewildered by an environmental protest that targeted one of the most environmentally friendly ways to travel."

Yeah, let's just give everyone who slows our journey down a good hiding.

Standing on the wrong side of the escalator? Give them a slap.

Don't move down the carriage? Nice left hook will sort that.

Get on the train when the doors are closing and make them open again? Knock their block off.

More seriously, if the Police hadn't restricted their ability to protest peacefully, perhaps this wouldn't have happened at all. I do think that there are better targets than public transport, but that crowd mauling he got was obscene and unjustifiable.

He was incredibly stupid and self obsessed if he didn’t realise what would happen.

The kicking was wrong, though his kicking out whilst on the train was unacceptable also, but the commuters dragging him off the train get my support.

guest,

The point simply is that emissions of one greenhouse gas — CO2 — is warming the Earth, which is causing a second greenhouse gas — methane — to be released. It’s a positive feedback cycle and a worrying one, unless you’ve always wanted to go to Venus but couldn’t scrape together the fare.

Yeah, I know the Earth won’t become a Venus, but several degrees of warming would be catastrophic.

Joe

Point is taken...and I think by many. But what to do about it, that really is not little more then just rearranging the deckchairs on the stern of the titanic?

My previous point about world population growth still stands and can only exacerbate this dynamic inter connected downwards spiral.

Yeah, let's just give everyone who slows our journey down a good hiding.

Standing on the wrong side of the escalator? Give them a slap.

Don't move down the carriage? Nice left hook will sort that.

Get on the train when the doors are closing and make them open again? Knock their block off.

To be fair London is pretty much like that if you have the misfortune to commute. It's a city with a higher proportion of self entitled aggressive so and so's than any other I have ever lived or worked in!

To be fair London is pretty much like that if you have the misfortune to commute. It's a city with a higher proportion of self entitled aggressive so and so's than any other I have ever lived or worked in!
Yes indeed. I spend as little time there as possible.

It's a city with a higher proportion of self entitled aggressive so and so's than any other I have ever lived or worked in!

have you been to cities like toronto or new york? i have a feeling that having a core financial sector is a big part of this?

I have a feeling that commuting on overcrowded public transport day in day out, day in day out...can tend to make some people prone to aggressive behaviour when provoked. I don't condone it.

I came across this today while searching for something else. It's a good visual explanation of how scientists have sussed out historic atmospheric CO2 concentrations dating back 800,000 years and why the recent upward spike and current level of CO2 (412 ppm and rising) is unprecedented in human history.

Ice-Cores-and-Atmospheric-History.png

Joe

I loved living in That London, though I always tried to live in the centre (Zone 2) and commute out so I was going the opposite direction to the masses. As a strategy it worked really well to the extent the tube/train was often virtually empty and I hardly ever had to stand, and then I was back right in the middle of things in the evening for art, gigs, food, beer etc.

have you been to cities like toronto or new york? i have a feeling that having a core financial sector is a big part of this?

Yep, NY felt similar in some ways, but London seems quite special in this regard. I've seen all sorts in rush hour and I'm only there a couple of days a week. Just the other day I was on a Thameslink train arriving into Blackfriars and a city type got very aggressive with a girl simply because she was stood in front of the open/close door buttons. The train hadn't even stopped and I told him the doors open automatically in the rush hour anyway, but he claimed they would open a couple of seconds earlier if he pushed the button and then started shoving the girl. I suggested he behave and then asked he what we was going to do with the extra 2 seconds of his life? He told me to go and fornicate with myself... charming people!

I loved living in That London, though I always tried to live in the centre (Zone 2) and commute out so I was going the opposite direction to the masses. As a strategy it worked really well to the extent the tube/train was often virtually empty and I hardly ever had to stand, and then I was back right in the middle of things in the evening for art, gigs, food, beer etc.

Probably a good way to do it, but at the end of the day I much prefer the north of England to London... Manchester has its faults, but the people are generally good sorts.

Even though ER has a point, the way they protest is potentially antagonistic after a while.
I don’t work or commune to London that much, but I guess some people may eventually reach the end of their tolerance fuse over it all.
I think today is something likely to be repeated, as distasteful as it may be.

Probably a good way to do it, but at the end of the day I much prefer the north of England to London... Manchester has its faults, but the people are generally good sorts.

If I had the money to do it well (e.g. nice big flat/small house in Notting Hill) I’d unquestionably live in That London as I just like the access to the arts etc and I love the way it is so diverse, though every time I go back I feel it looks a little more sterile and uninteresting as it becomes ever-more gentrified. Its the same with any city, the time to live there is just after the industrial collapse when the art and music counterculture moves in, but move on out when they get priced-out and it gets sterilised/yuppified. Manchester is probably quite good, I’m just too far out (in a dead neighbouring ex-mill town) to really be in the loop the way I was in Liverpool and even That London back in the ‘90s. I’m also 20 years older which doesn’t help!

advertisement

Back