advertisement

2x Boxs Sets Celebrating 40 years of Factory Communications

Gerard124

Tempus fugit, memento mori
2x Boxs Sets Celebrating 40 years of Factory Communications

Use Hearing Protection: Factory Records 1978-79 (Limited Edition Box)

£180.00

Pre-order - released on: 11/10/2019

Lift-top box including the first 10 numbered records and objects, with a 60 page exhibition style book, plus a bonus 12” single and 2CDs of unheard Joy Division interviews. Strictly limited and numbered to 4000 units WW.

Use Hearing Protection
Factory Records 1978-1979 contains facsimile editions of the first 10 numbered Factory items: 4 vinyl records, 3 posters, a short film, Factory stationery and an egg-timer design. The early history of the label is traced in a 60 page book with text by James Nice, photos by Kevin Cummins and archival interviews with Tony Wilson, Rob Gretton, Joy Division and more.

All 3 original Factory posters are contained in the box as well as the first 4 records: The Factory Sample EP (Fac 2), All Night Party by A Certain Ratio (Fac 5), Electricity by Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (Fac 6) and classic album Unknown Pleasures by Joy Division (Fact 10).

Bonus items include a white label 12” single by The Tiller Boys (originally intended as FAC3 but ultimately not released), and a lengthy audio interview with Joy Division, Tony Wilson and Rob Gretton, conducted in August 1979 by journalist Mary Harron, never before heard and now restored across two CDs. Also newly restored, and seldom seen since 1979, is evocative 8mm short No City Fun (Fac 9), featuring music by Joy Division.

uhp_white_1_.jpg

Various Artists

Factory Communications 1978 - 92 (Limited Edition Silver 8LP)

£127.99

Pre-order - released on: 08/11/2019

Lift lid box with 8 x 180gram silver heavyweight vinyl and 40 page booklet, previously released on CD. Limited run of 500 units.

Factory Communications: 1978-92
is an 8LP silver vinyl boxed set with a 40 page booklet. Being released as a limited run of 500 units, this box is a celebration of the 40th anniversary of Factory Records.

Originally released as a limited edition four CD collection in 2009, a tribute to the great Factory Records label as well as a dedication to the label's founder, the late Tony Wilson. The project celebrates 40 years of arguably the most important label in UK pop history, collating rare and obscure tracks from a diverse range of acts.

The set features 63 tracks including cuts from New Order, Joy Division, The Durutti Column, Happy Mondays, Electronic, A Certain Ratio, Section 25 and many others. Sleeve notes written by Paul Morley.

fac_white_1.jpg

I think the idea was that Elvis was more attractive than Factory, or something along those lines...…………

A lot of ££ but very tempting, and it has just prompted me to dig out Cath Carroll, England Made Me - a beautiful chilled album.

Bit the bullet and have just ordered the 8 LP's……………………………………………….

Jeez, FAC 210 is FACing good...……………………………………... better than FACing good to be honest...……….

I’ve got the CD boxset from 2009 - no point buying the vinyl boxset. But......very tempted by the “Use Hearing Protection” set.

Went to the exhibition accompanying this release, in Pimlico, London, the other week. Was great, and free to get in. Quite a small room but a great collection nevertheless. Mostly record sleeves, plus RG note books and what looked like an original ticket for the Pistols LFTH gig of JUne 4 1976 (Hooky's??) Show may be on a few more days, well worth a visit, and a great sandwich shop just up the road too.

Just finished Stephen Morris's memoirs, really good read, love the bit about them being billed one night as Joy Davidson, sultry chantuese ;)

Stu

Thanks for the heads up on the exhibition - well worth a visit as is the sandwich shop

Not sure about the Unknown Pleasures tea towel though

The exhibition isn't far from me and I have popped in a few times. I have the Factory poster for the Culture and Suicide & Joy Division gigs. i.e. The King Kong one. The show attributes the design to 'unknown' but I put them right. It was designed by Steve Hardstaff who also designed the record bags for Probe Records in the 1970's & the sleeve for the Juke Box at Eric's compilation.
There's a talk next Tuesday evening with Peter Saville and John Savage. Unfortunately I can not make it.

Anyone seen anything of their pre-orders yet?

Arrived today, shipped from Slough of all places. Yet to crack it open. Bloody heavy, can see why the shipping out here to Seattle was 40 quid. To be fair to Rhino, they did point out it also available on some US site now too, and gave me a small refund on shipping, nice touch.

Just perusing the back cover for track listing. Excited by the look of the early stuff, some Cabs, Minny Pops I want to hear. Could do without World In Motion but that's just me ;)

Stu

Same here - I wondered what the hell it was.

As you say, very generous thought on the refund but given the supposed short run it surprises me that many have found their way to dealers/retailers.

Just cracked my box set open, wow GREY vinyl, bizarre! Digital sounds might fine, track 1 side 1. Curiously, I have the JD Peel sessions LP on Strange Fruit and that is also a peculiar grey/purple vinyl.

Sent mine back I want flat records at that price.
I'll stay with the CD version .
Im at the stage now we're being a completest has to stop.

advertisement

Back