advertisement

analog CD sound

Rushboy

pfm Member
Hello,
i am from germany .and here the dealers say that the rega apollo cdp sounds very analog. so even bad recordings still sound good.
my current naim cd5i sometimes sounds annoying.
are there any opinions?

Hallo!

No CD player will ever sound “analogue”. Perhaps the first Philips players that were fluffy like an old Shure on a Thorens?

If you want analogue sound, buy a turntable and vintage AAA records!

It's taken me over 20 yrs to get a 'digital' sound right TME.

I'm using a Teac ud501 dac and it's by far the best sound I've had. Can't detect a difference between my usb streamer and my resurrected Technics slps7 - if cd is your thing.

Others tried include a Chord 2qute, which wasn't a patch on what I'm hearing right now.

Hello,
i am from germany .and here the dealers say that the rega apollo cdp sounds very analog. so even bad recordings still sound good.
my current naim cd5i sometimes sounds annoying.
are there any opinions?

My opinion, having owned several of the entry-level Naim CD5i, italic i and Si players, they are horrible annoying on just about any setup of revealing nature.
I'm sort of happy to learn others experience matches mine.

The trick Naim did was to name that series as "i" for "improved"
Nothing could be more wrong
It is entry-level players by all means, priced far too high.

The CD5X or 5XS are much better players and certainly not annoying.

As for Rega cd-players of recently, they are great, I'd choose Apollo/R or Saturn any day of the week vs 5i.

Go listen for yourself

record player i have. maybe i should go on streaming?
I’m using an MHDT Labs Orchid valve DAC streaming radio and listening to CDs on SSD when not listening to vinyl. It has quite an analogue sounds to it....no sharp edges. AND, it doesn’t light up light a chuffin’ Christmas Tree like so much stuff does nowadays!?@z!?

Hallo!

No CD player will ever sound “analogue”. Perhaps the first Philips players that were fluffy like an old Shure on a Thorens?

If you want analogue sound, buy a turntable and vintage AAA records!

Not so!
I had an Arcam Delta 70.3 and it was a very challenging listen, detiled but very harsh.
I replaced it with a SONY CDP338ESD, via it's anlalogue out it sounds very ............. analogue.

OP: If It were me I would try the original rega planet CDP, it may have what you are looking for? Fyi I currently own a 5 series naim cd player with the flat cap, can't tell if it makes a difference in terms of "the sound" but it matches my nait in terms of a complete system. I won't air my opinions on SQ but I often tend to listen to the music rather than the equipment playing it...

I'd try to listen to the AcousticPlan Vadi CD player - it's one I have, and as a vinyl man, I can happily listen to it - really rather good!

If you want a CD player to sound "analog", it is easy to add noise, distortion and coloration by using DSP...

Not so!
I had an Arcam Delta 70.3 and it was a very challenging listen, detiled but very harsh.
I replaced it with a SONY CDP338ESD, via it's anlalogue out it sounds very ............. analogue.

Not so. I have a 70.2 and it sounds nothing like that. It is actually very sweet! A bit too much so even. I prefer a good modern cartridge on a good turntable!

Not so. I have a 70.2 and it sounds nothing like that. It is actually very sweet! A bit too much so even. I prefer a good modern cartridge on a good turntable!
I listen to all music formats.
The 70.2 and .3 must be very different as it was anything but sweet.

Julf,

If you want a CD player to sound "analog", it is easy to add noise, distortion and coloration by using DSP...

I'm not a fan of ticks, pops and distortion, but I do likes me some analogue awesomeness — that sound you get from a good record on a good turntable.

Joe

Reactions: GT
I listen to all music formats.
The 70.2 and .3 must be very different as it was anything but sweet.
That's funny because I've just re-read the Hi-Fi Review tests and they said the 70.3 was sweeter than the 70.2. Mmm...

Well anyway, that specific player is the sweetest vintage player I have by far. My Quad CD66 sounds much the same.

No CD player will ever sound “analogue”.

Maybe you haven't listened to valved CDPs then. My Lector is about as analogue as my vinyl front end; slightly different but certainly analogue (also c.f. Meridian & Naim I've had) The Rega valved Isis is, by reputation, lovely, and various iterations of A.R.C. were good (but American). There may be others.

advertisement

Back