advertisement

Cranky ebay seller with anti tamper stickers

Darren

So gentle when he tries to understand.
I've seen a pair of speakers on ebay that I really wanted twenty five years ago when they were new. The price is good and the condition seems OK.
I contacted the seller to ask a couple of basic questions and he told me he intents to 'mark the drive units to prevent fraud' I didn't know what he meant exactly so asked for details. In short it's the sellers intention to place anti tamper stickers over the edge of each drive unit and onto the baffle so that if anyone attempts to swap the drive units it will be obvious.
I don't like this idea, I'm afraid that in removing the stickers and their residue I will damage the speakers' finish. When I said this to the seller he says that it's perfectly standard practice and I should look elsewhere if I don't like it.
Is it me.... Or is he more than a little cranky?

Hes obviously mental. The whole point is that that they leave the print on the surface if peeled. Hes an idiot. Put them on the magnets, numpty..

yeh cranky, why not just use a secret marker pen for security...somewhere on the back of the speaker, perhaps you could ask him to do that. just a thought

Thanks for the advice boys...... I wondered if it was me for a minute. I rarely buy second hand things, much preferring new.... But building my retro system means I have to root around in dark places where I wouldn't normally bother going. :)

I presume that the seller is concerned that you may have a set of speakers in poor condition and intend swapping parts around and returning the speakers with the duff parts.

I presume that the seller is concerned that you may have a set of speakers in poor condition and intend swapping parts around and returning the speakers with the duff parts.
Yes.... I guess so... But there are ways and means of dealing with potential buyers and his approach is the wrong one. Its just served to confuse me and then put me off completely. His last message had a lot of exclamation marks to emphasise!!!! How vexed with me he was!!!! Tool.

take out 25 year old drivers and put in new ones. That would be no retro anymore, so fraud.

Yes, but surely if, say, Darren bought them then he would be at liberty to do whatever he liked with the drivers. It would only be fraud if Darren then tried to sell them on as “vintage/retro”.

Edit: just seen cctaylors post. OK, that makes sense.

I have heard of this before, it's very sad it's necessary. I would not be happy either to buy a pair with stickers on the drive units

I have heard of this before, it's very sad it's necessary. I would not be happy either to buy a pair with stickers on the drive units
Cheers.... I initially wondered if it was indeed common practice on the second hand market now and I was out of date in some way.

I can understand this on tech, i.e. harddrives/phones and such but on an old speaker its a bit of a stretch.

It wouldn’t surprise me to learn that there are people out there who might buy equipment just to get free spares, I never heard of anyone using anti-tamper labels this way though. I doubt that it would protect him in an eBay/PayPal “not as described” case anyway. Best avoided I think.

advertisement

Back