advertisement

Vast Brexit thread merge part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
My position is none of the above, which just goes to show the danger of anyone assuming they understand another's reasons for voting one way or the other. Of which there is rather a lot!

Considering that union is the ideal of Germany and France. two countries who's leaders have tried to conquer Europe in the last 230 years*, perhaps it's the elephant in the room?
* And counting.

My opening post was very carefully worded. What you have basically done is refuse to answer the question. You are basically Dominic Cummings:

You refuse to state your position or have a plan and that way we can keep all the Brexit factions on side.

Given your last statement regarding France and Gernany I would say the closest match to your position would be 1. It is for you to elaborate on that if you dare.

8 for me. If we do leave, i'm likely to as well, and I really don't think i'm unusual in that. Will the country miss me? I don't expect it will, but it's the first time in my nearly 50 years that i've felt that there is anywhere else in the world i'd rather live.

Your post makes me sad but strangely enough I feel the same.

My position is none of the above, which just goes to show the danger of anyone assuming they understand another's reasons for voting one way or the other. Of which there is rather a lot!
...which would be a good opportunity to explain where you differ, ie try to define your position. It’s a bit dumb to say ‘nobody understands me’ if you don’t make at least an effort to help them to understand.

How puerile. John Bercow and his family probably will get highly paid jobs in the EU just like Neil Kinnock and his wife.

How puerile. John Bercow and his family probably will get highly paid jobs in the EU just like Neil Kinnock and his wife.

Yes very strange how organisations tend to employ people with relevent experience and profile.

Your point being?

Bloke who believes in an institution goes to work for said institution. Gosh, what an outrage that would be!

Number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9,
number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9,
number 9, number 9, number 9, number 9

http://www.metrolyrics.com/revolution-9-lyrics-beatles.html

I am sure David Cameron tried this approach as a way of bolstering the argument for Remain prior to the referendum campaign - and he got nowhere.

The numerous structures and Presidents/Vice-pressidents of the EU are only interested in pushing the project in a Federalist direction.

Reb

I was tempted to conduct a poll but thought better of it as it would create too many arguments in itself. There are potentially 17.4 million different versions of Brexit, assuming that nobody has changed their mind since June 2016, of course. There are also a few versions of Remain too, I might add.

I have deliberately started a new thread for this having spent several days on the merged thread and made the following observations:

● Views appear more polarised than they probably are in reality.

● Arguments are repetitive or circular other than to reflect recent events, current state of play in negotiations, statements made by the key political players and industrialists/those representing other interests.

● The vast majority of participants are opposed to Brexit in all its possible forms.

● Nobody is illiterate or semi-literate and the standard of debate here is generally higher than that to be found in mainstream social media.

● A few individuals (maybe it's only one?) seem a little fact-shy or taken with 'alternative facts' and conspiracy theories. Either they genuinely believe such things or they hope others might if they share them.

This is the Leave/Remain spectrum as I see it outlined below. You are free to adopt your own unique position upon this spectrum. Indeed, that is the point of this thread:

1) The EU is a corrupt and failed organism which is doomed to collapse soon. I believe in the absolute sovereignty of nation states. The UK should exit as soon as possible without a withdrawal agreement or any other terms of surrender. Even if we have to eat grass and skin rats in order to survive we will be free.

2) The EU is ok for continentals but not for us British/English. We are different and our destiny lies out there in the big wide world. We should be a free and sovereign nation and we can make a success of our new-found independence given time and sacrifice. We should leave the EU without a withdrawal agreement as any other option is not truly leaving and we won't reap the full benefits of a full and clean Brexit.

3) We should be prepared to Leave without a withdrawal agreement if it gives us a chance of getting a better deal. No deal is better than a bad deal. A good deal is a Canada-style deal with little or no regulatory alignment. There is no point in leaving if we are simply going to be rule-takers. Ireland should not be used as an excuse to stop us leaving the customs union and single market but we will try to find a solution if there is one.

(There is a position somewhere between 2 and 3 above where the intended landing point is at 2 but we go through the motions of trying to achieve 3 in order to maximise support).

4) Leave the customs union and single market but instead have a deep and special relationship with the EU as an independent state. However, there is to be some degree of regulatory alignment on issues like the environment, worker and consumer rights and food safety. Implement or at least match the requirements of the EU Anti-Tax Avoidance Directive. The Irish backstop will kick in in the event of not being able to find any alternative solution either for the island of Ireland only or for the whole of the UK depending on whether we need the DUP or not.

5) Leave the single market but maintain regulatory alignment and stay in the customs union as this is the only way we can protect the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement. We would also benefit from the EU's recent trade agreements with the likes of Japan and Canada.

6) Some sort of bespoke arrangement with the EU like Switzerland has. Parlianent would be free to terminate any or all bilateral agreements made with the EU at any time mindful of the consequences of so doing. Ireland could be treated separately in order not to undermine the Belfast/Good Friday Agreement.

7) Join EFTA, stay in the single market but leave the customs union. Northern Ireland would stay in the CU and there would be light border controls similar to those between Norway and Sweden down the Irish Sea.

8) Remain in the EU under current terms without any commitment to "ever closer union." Use our influence to reform the EU.

9) Maximise our potential to reform the EU by becoming a full participant in the project, committed to ever closer union, joining Schengen and the euro at some point.

My position is between 8 and 9. I want 9 but accept that there is little support for it in the UK.

If we implemented the rules of Schengen properly and made sure that all citizens were registered and carried ID, (it doesn't have to be Tony Blair's super-expensive ID scheme) it could work. Freedom of movement should be for labour + dependents. That is how it works in other member states and that is why you rarely, if ever, see a homeless person in Germany who is not German. EU migrants who cannot sustain themselves can and should be deported to their country of origin in accordance with the original provisions of the Treaty of Rome, at least until they have lived in the host member state for a period of time and contributed towards its welfare system.

Free education and healthcare should be available to all regardless.

Please adopt the numbered position above which matches your own the closest, before defining your own in more detail.

Mine is just an example.

As I stated in your other dull thread, I knew this was going to be your agenda.

The numerous structures and Presidents/Vice-pressidents of the EU are only interested in pushing the project in a Federalist direction.

Reb
I’ve come to believe that a significant part of the UK’s concerns derive not from principled objections but from our long-ingrained insularity. We are an island nation; I hadn’t appreciated just how deep this runs in the national psyche.

Calling all rabid Remainers.

Come on you know who you are.

Hypothetical scenario type question for you:

1. EU/UK government reach an agreement. 2. UK Parliament ratifies it. UK leaves EU on 31 Oct. Medical/food supplies remain plentiful. 4. jaguar/Nissan don't go bust or up-sticks. 5. Bog paper freely available to those who wish to purchase it. 6. Johnson wins GE with a majority of 50.

How do you respond/what do you do next?

Raymond F

My opening post was very carefully worded. What you have basically done is refuse to answer the question. You are basically Dominic Cummings:

You refuse to state your position or have a plan and that way we can keep all the Brexit factions on side.

Given your last statement regarding France and Gernany I would say the closest match to your position would be 1. It is for you to elaborate on that if you dare.
As I said, the danger of assuming. But of course, putting another in a box makes it easy to ignore them. I have elaborated in the past, but see no point in repeating it.
BTW, I don't know who Dominic Cummings is!

Ideally I would be 8 & remain would have won in the referendum. As it stands I vascilate between revoke & let's just get some kind of deal so we can move on & cope with the new reality. Uncertainty is actually worse for the economy than accepting a deal.

I am not in favour of a 2nd referendum, I fear leave would win again with an increased majority.

As I stated in your other dull thread, I knew this was going to be your agenda.

What do you see my agenda as being?

My agenda is to find some common ground here, and see the shades of grey between the black and the white.

I have taken this approach with my elderly parents who are leavers and have succeeded in healing rifts between them on the one side/generation divide and myself/my wife/my sister/my brother-in-law on the other.

The penny dropped with my Dad and I saw a wave of relief appear on his face when I asked him if he thought only the British in Europe were concerned about the prospect of North Africa and the Middle East emptying their entire populations into our continent.

I know his position. It is somewhere between 5 and 7 with some elements of 9 (ID and registration for all citizens) thrown in.

My father-in-law's position is nearer 2 and he had my wife in tears at the prospect of her losing her career. He told her just to get another job.

1. EU/UK government reach an agreement. 2. UK Parliament ratifies it. UK leaves EU on 31 Oct. Medical/food supplies remain plentiful. 4. jaguar/Nissan don't go bust or up-sticks. 5. Bog paper freely available to those who wish to purchase it. 6. Johnson wins GE with a majority of 50.

Raymond F

Easy! Cash in my £1 accumulator on all of the above and buy an island in the Seychelles.

I’ve come to believe that a significant part of the UK’s concerns derive not from principled objections but from our long-ingrained insularity. We are an island nation; I hadn’t appreciated just how deep this runs in the national psyche.
Absolutely this, but I would add that it's not just about difference/distance but the delusions of exceptionalism and superiority.

Raymond F

Come round.

Ideally I would be 8 & remain would have won in the referendum. As it stands I vascilate between revoke & let's just get some kind of deal so we can move on & cope with the new reality. Uncertainty is actually worse for the economy than accepting a deal.

I am not in favour of a 2nd referendum, I fear leave would win again with an increased majority.
On your last point, most polls suggest otherwise, hence the government's desire for an election which would probably favour them.

Bloody hell Steven, do you have to tell us all about the inner-workings of your family.

If an agreement is struck over the next week or so, then lets hope Mrs Toy can carry on with her gainful employment.

Please report back any deviations from her chosen path because, I, for one, am awaiting with a clenched colon in anticipation.

Radio

makes you wonder what the rest of the tories get up to when they leave parliament, dunnit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back