advertisement

Ever heard decent on wall speakers?

indus

pfm Member
I'm trying to get some kit together for a second system. It's to go in a study/library where floor space is at a premium. Wall mounted speakers would be ideal.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

I used a pair of Rega Kyte speakers on wall brackets many years ago. Excellent. I'm not sure what the modern equivalent would be.

If you have the budget why not audition a Sonus Faber Sonetto?

I have wall mounted a pair of Warfdale Diamonds with some Linn Brakits, which allows a few inches of space between the speaker and the wall, and allows the speakers to be oriented as you wish. The brackets are completely invisible. I just use it for listening on my office computer. Whether wall speakers can ever sound better than that I just don’t know. I bet to make them sound better you’ll need to put a sub somewhere.

The other thought is to buy a pair of Rogers JR 149s and get the special brackets for them. I used to do this. For treble and midrange I would be surprised if you could do better. Bass is always going to be a problem!

Flush fit or on brackets?

Budget?

Have MA on walls and ceiling speakers - Gold series spendy but decent

Dali on walls are good

Had a Qute to Rega RS1 on their brackets which worked really well, they are older models, new one is RX1

Gus

Used both the Rega R1 and Keesonic Kolt up against a rear wall, the Kolts were the best, not supprised as that's what they were designed for but not easily available.

The ATC Hts7 look good, I tried the SCM7 up against a rear wall bug they do need some space, the HTS version look ideal as they are specifically designed for it.

The Proac Tablette 10 seem to be suitable although I've not actually heard a pair yet.

I'm trying to get some kit together for a second system. It's to go in a study/library where floor space is at a premium. Wall mounted speakers would be ideal.

Any suggestions welcome.
There have been a few posts recently asking about wall mounted speakers. "Proper" high-fidelity speakers designed to function correctly when mounted on a wall are pretty rare because of the need to control the strong reflection off the front wall which conventional speakers don't do. Do you have an interest in DIY speakers?

PMC Wafer 1 and 2 aren’t cheap, especially the larger and superior Wafer 2. They’re good though and occasionally found ex dem. They dig pretty deep too. Gato Audio make some nifty wall mounts that can be found at a good price ex dem.

PMC Wafer 1 and 2 aren’t cheap, especially the larger and superior Wafer 2. They’re good though and occasionally found ex dem. They dig pretty deep too. Gato Audio make some nifty wall mounts that can be found at a good price ex dem.

Mate has the Wafer 2s with a B&W sub. Not really that impressed tbh - clarity isn't bad but dynamics and extension not great. That said they look good and are unobtrusive.

One of my partners has on wall Maggies in his HT, they sound quite good. Though you do miss out on that depth of image and sounds are more projected forward in a 2D plane.

Both Kans and PMC wafers are pretty good in slightly different ways provided your actual listening space is reasonably sized and you're a good few feet away

How big is the space they're going in?

If it's basically speakers around a desk I'd choose neither. What would be way better is something like a pair of Genelec 1029a's or 8020's on wall mounts since they're specifically designed to work like that (ie professional near-field monitors). If you add a sub they also work pretty well in a bigger space as a satellite and sub system.

Mate has the Wafer 2s with a B&W sub. Not really that impressed tbh - clarity isn't bad but dynamics and extension not great. That said they look good and are unobtrusive.

I can only say that I have them and I disagree, but then I would wouldn’t I :)

Looks an interesting product. Would be useful to know how it performs and what has been traded to get the on wall package. Probably the biggest downside of a nonfunctional home audio press is not getting a handle on which consumer products have a good technical performance and which do not.

One thing to consider is how close you will be to speakers. You need to be able to angle them towards you. A dry run in the proposed position is advisable. I had Videoton Minimax speakers in my study. They did not work well above head height. They were much better at head height even if I was very close to them.

Many small bookshelf speakers should work in this situation.

advertisement

Back