advertisement

Vast Brexit thread merge part III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Treason
The crime of betraying one's country, especially by attempting to kill or overthrow the sovereign or government.
This is in effect what Bercow and the Lib Dems are doing by offering encouragement to the EU that another referendum and remaining is an option favoured by the UK. This is undermining the elected government who are striving to get a deal which will allow us to be trading partners with our friends in Europe, and at the same time removing the federal control of the EU.
The countries of Europe need to trade to survive, lets hope common sense will prevail.
Now that’s a transparently creepy little threat if I may say so. It’s always the minor poltroons that hide behind the language of threat and coercion- the thought of it providing arousal.

This is undermining the elected government who are striving to get a deal which will allow us to be trading partners with our friends in Europe, and at the same time removing the federal control of the EU.
The countries of Europe need to trade to survive, lets hope common sense will prevail.

You do realise have a PM leading a -45 minority government, one in which many of the remaining MPs have little confidence in his aggressive, duplicitous and divisive leadership. Under no reality can this be considered a mandate for anything.

Btw, my car is a Korean-built Hyundai.

Great, an answer to a question that we weren't asking.

As you've mentioned it however, I will humour you and add thatI ran their Coupe when I was working in the Middle East - it was fun to drive and didn't cost much - bought second-hand of course (on account of my virtuosity).

Raab

It was a response to Brian's suggestion to buy a Hyundai. I already have.

I'm sure it has already been pointed out to you but every s/h car was once a new one. I shouldn't have to state the obvious.

Sorry SteveS1, I made the assumption that these days everybody was concerned for the environment.

Why pay over the odds for a new car and all the draw on resources and energy to make it when there is an existing pool of 31 million vehicles many of them available to buy locally and would satisfy the buyers requirements?

Just saying Ray

I'm sure people are concerned for the environment, I was merely pointing out that to have older affordable cars - it depends on a plentiful supply of new ones. Just wishing cars away for environmental reasons doesn't make it a good idea when the country's core infrastructure has been built around road transport.

Environmental virtue signalling, or making it more costly to own a car doesn't change that. It is of course "popular" and a huge boon for the Treasury if people queue up to pay more tax for some sort of guilt trip. But unless the investment goes into reducing the actual need for so much road transport (much less popular, no quick fix, hard work) it all ends up being fewer cars and less freedom for the little people, while those who can afford it carry on as usual.

The negative effects of reduced access to employment and lack of freedom to travel cannot be underestimated, the latter particularly with an ageing population and crap public transport outside of cities and main towns.

The Telegraph gave up any semblance of being a newspaper years ago. You expect it from The Sun but the non-resident for tax avoidance reasons Barclay Clan have turned it into a family business pamphlet. Anyone with any journalistic self respect was either fired or walked years ago.

Treason
The crime of betraying one's country, especially by attempting to kill or overthrow the sovereign or government.
This is in effect what Bercow and the Lib Dems are doing by offering encouragement to the EU that another referendum and remaining is an option favoured by the UK. This is undermining the elected government who are striving to get a deal which will allow us to be trading partners with our friends in Europe, and at the same time removing the federal control of the EU.

Let's talk treason then Colin. Perhaps those who led the deliberately misleading Brexit campaign encouraged and funded by Russia will face charges at some point.

You do realise have a PM leading a -45 minority government, one in which many of the remaining MPs have little confidence in his aggressive, duplicitous and divisive leadership. Under no reality can this be considered a mandate for anything.

That depends on whether you believe the UK is a parliamentary democracy or constitutional monarchy. I'd like to think it was the former. Until now this has rarely been tested and it is only now that the two reveal themselves as being mutually exclusive.

Our FPTP system usually means that Parliament is nothing more than a rubber-stamping operation with any actual scrutiny taking place in the unelected Lords.

These are not normal times. The Executive has no mandate but it still has power. It derives a 'mandate' from a plebiscite which took place almost a whole year before the current Parliament was elected.

here's hoping, eh? though i'm not hopeful, given the current state of affairs.
Common sense would say economic stability and national security are better served by remaining a full senior member state of the EU. The nationalist sentiment driving ‘Brexit’ would be far better addressed by devolving government further in England to provide local accountability for managing public services, spending and infrastructure investment. The less desirable aspects can be managed by normal law enforcement.

Last edited:
When May became PM, the EU offered a border in the Irish sea to try and protect the GFA.

May rejected this as she said it might damage the union and that was unthinkable.

The ERG/DUP agreed.

So the UK proposed the Backstop as an alternative. The EU agreed the ERG/DUP did not.

When Johnson became PM I (and Simon Jenkins!) suspected that the IS border was where he was headed. When his Government became a minority, he could effectively ignore the DUP and I became more convinced of this.

Is this what they've decided? NI regulatory alignment (CU and SM) for NI and not for rUK?

This is not going to end well for the union if so.

Stephen

Treason
Traitors
Collaborators
Saboteurs
Enemies of The People
North London Metropolitan Liberal Elite / George Soros (knoworramean!!??)

When this language is being used by a few fringe politicians and newspapers to describe half the UK population, mainstream politicians and the judiciary, you should worry. When it’s coming directly from a failed minority government willing to illegally shut down Parliament and lie to the Monarch, you should be very worried.

When May became PM, the EU offered a border in the Irish sea to try and protect the GFA.

May rejected this as she said it might damage the union and that was unthinkable.

The ERG/DUP agreed.

So the UK proposed the Backstop as an alternative. The EU agreed the ERG/DUP did not.

When Johnson became PM I (and Simon Jenkins!) suspected that the IS border was where he was headed. When his Government became a minority, he could effectively ignore the DUP and I became more convinced of this.

Is this what they've decided? NI regulatory alignment (CU and SM) for NI and not for rUK?

This is not going to end well for the union if so.

Stephen

The Brexit ultras don't care for the Union. They are English nationalists and their flag is the Cross of St George not the Union flag.

When this language is being used by a few fringe politicians and newspapers to describe half the UK population, you should worry. When it’s coming directly from a failed minority government willing to illegally shut down Parliament and lie to the Monarch, you should be very worried.

Politics in the UK has been poisoned for at least a generation, probably more. Brexit is only the beginning, I expect it will get even worse when the trading relationship with the EU is being discussed.

Politics in the UK has been poisoned for at least a generation, probably more. Brexit is only the beginning, I expect it will get even worse when the trading relationship with the EU is being discussed.
Quite, the economic pressures will become huge. Johnson’s pie in the sky spending plans will collapse on first contact with reality outside the EU. A ‘deal’ might offer some short term currency stability before its picked apart by the far right of his own party and Farage breathing down their necks. Investment will remain withheld until the shitshow is finally over and investors get a better picture of how far UK plc has ‘resized’ itself.

Last edited:
Affordability does of course play a large part in peoples buying decision when it comes to cars and, as an old Social Liberal, I respect that it us up to the individual to make their own purchasing choices, especially as everybody knows that a car is an individuals third most expensive purchase after a home and hifi.

I suspect a lot of new cars brought privately are on these leasing schemes - they used to be called PCP. I can see the financial appeal of such schemes to those who sign up to them as it gets them into a new or newish car which they might not otherwise be able to afford. I am fortunate to train people who are generally younger than myself and my present course is all in their twenties. Everyone of them has a younger car than me despite their income being about half of what I earn. I can assure you I am not jealous but this expectation over time becomes a norm for them which as I said earlier leads to increased new car production when with a little TLC they could be running about older cars.

Ray

devolving government further in England to provide local accountability for managing public services, spending and infrastructure investment.

an english parliament is long overdue. the fact that there isn't one speaks to the arrogance and presumption there is that the uk & parliament are in reality english institutions in themselves.

older cars

it is in some senses a false economy. an older car generally means higher maintenance costs (more pollution), less efficient engines (more pollution), engines in a poor state of repair (more pollution), and less efficient road holding (more pollution).

Mods, may I respectfully suggest that anyone seriously talking about "treason" in this context be removed from the thread, and ultimately the forum.

It is the rhetoric of the far-right and it's already led to the death of one MP and multiple credible death threats to several others.

I know it can be amusing, in some ways, to observe at close quarters the mindset of fanatical Brexiters, and to take the p*ss out of them. But talk of "treason" is inappropriate, reckless and profoundly dangerous and it should not be tolerated here or anywhere else. We must not allow it to become normalised.

On a personal level, if I wanted to swim in a far-right sewer I'd visit the Daily Fail website and read the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back