advertisement

Neurochrome 286 in the UK?

Mrdog and I run bridged 86p's as monoblocks. That's a 486 for want of a like nomenclature. Gingermkettle runs a pair of 86p which is effectively a 286, but done with a stereo channel chip both channels in parallel.

Just buy some, easy build, great support from tom. If they do all the power you want and drive low enough load for your speakers it doesnt get better.

Only the benchmark amp and ncore measure better, and the ncore doesnt sound as good imo.

Yep, a stereo Parallel-86 here (effectively the forerunner to the 286). Does valve amp stuff like tonal colour and microdynamics brilliantly, better than pretty much any other solid state amp I have heard, but with transparency and a lack of colouration/speaker FR interaction. Really good with ESL63s.

I would love to head what Tom has to say about an amp that measured better but performed worse!

BugBear

Hi,

I have a 686, best hifi investment I have made, bar none.

The 286 kit is very simple except for knocking up the wires and plugs but that only because they are a bit fiddly, all the important stuff is easy enough

No regrets from me. I've just managed to source a matching Neurochrome preamp too.

If you are over the West Midlands area, let me know. You're welcome to a listen.

Hi,

I have a 686, best hifi investment I have made, bar none.

The 286 kit is very simple except for knocking up the wires and plugs but that only because they are a bit fiddly, all the important stuff is easy enough

No regrets from me. I've just managed to source a matching Neurochrome preamp too.

If you are over the West Midlands area, let me know. You're welcome to a listen.
A) Thank you! :)
B) I live in Norfolk :(

BugBear

Theres a bake off in Sheffield on the 20th, my mod86ps will be playing at some point.

Ah, not to worry. If you do find yourself in the Midlands, just drop me a message.

I can get a 286 here too so you can hear both.
I've been to the Black Country museum (and Blists Hill) a coupla' times, but it's a hell of a trip. I tend to stay for a few days (in Bridgnorth, which is lovely)

BugBear

I've been to the Black Country museum (and Blists Hill) a coupla' times, but it's a hell of a trip. I tend to stay for a few days (in Bridgnorth, which is lovely)

BugBear

Bridgenorth isnt all that far from me. about 9 miles. Its a beautiful place on a sunny day.

Revive, oldish thread! These neurochrome amps seem interesting. I'm in Canada this summer, so they're local, and a tempting proposition. The hitch being that I've no DIY experience! Are they a viable prospect for a complete beginner? And would they be worth it to use with Tannoy Eatons?

Revive, oldish thread! These neurochrome amps seem interesting. I'm in Canada this summer, so they're local, and a tempting proposition. The hitch being that I've no DIY experience! Are they a viable prospect for a complete beginner? And would they be worth it to use with Tannoy Eatons?
He's done fully-made equipment in the past, although infrequently. His current products are mainly complete boards (because of all the surface mount), so it's pretty easy in DIY terms.

I'd love to get an old amp, and put Neurochrome inside, leveraging all the case, connectors, PSU etc of the donor amp.

BugBear

I would strongly recommend hearing them before purchase.

The hardest part of the build is the mechanical stuff. With the Neuro stuff the electrical part is just wiring it up, there's no "real" building to be done. Safety is important for the mains voltage stuff.
I would be very happy to help if you do want to build one (not sure if you visit Leeds much nowadays).

I built a dual mono 686 last year and it was pretty straightforward- hardest part was drilling all the holes in the case and getting the holes to line up!
Stunningly good amp for what it costs to build -it’ll give £10k amps a run for their money

Whether they'll go with the Tannoys will largely be down to your taste and how loud you like to drive them. If you're prepared to accept exactly what's in the music without any euphonic adorations then get them, if you prefer it a bit valvey then don't.

There are a couple of posters who have 286's and more than a few with 86P or 686.

I have a pair of Toms older 86Parallel amps, with a bridged pair in each mono channel, so 4 stereo chips per side. ( So they'd be 486 in current model names)

advertisement

Back