advertisement

Ban Snacking on Trains

She excludes inter city buffet cars from her ban of course.

seen the crap they sell?

I look forward to breaking laws like that.
Quite. On long journeys I take my own sandwiches, and won't wait to the end to eat them. We went to Iceland a few years ago to try to see the northern lights, and on the coach trip out to the dark countryside, the guide told us we weren't allowed to eat on the coach (they had a stop off at a bar/restaurant for food. Expensive of course, and a cut to the guide, obvs!) I took no notice and ate my sandwich, He didn't like it, but as it wasn't a school trip and he wasn't my teacher he could shove it!

I love this, it’s so utterly stupid.

who will police it?

Where trains have guards in my experience they spend all the journey hiding. Since barriers were introduced at Manchester Piccadilly I have never had a ticket checked on a Northern train. Northern Rail and other companies are even trying to abolish them on their services. Guardless trains will be unpoliceable. Or are they going to employ a Snack Police?

And just how is it going to be enforced?
Are they going to call ahead to have Tarquin and mother removed from the train at the next station because he was eating a pack of Monster Munch?

In Taiwan, I was accosted by an official 20 years ago for simply chewing whilst crossing a large metro station concourse. Absolutely no anything chewable or edible is allowed on the Taipei underground system, which is fairly extensive. Normal long distance trains were not thus affected.

They'll have to define what constitutes "snacking." Can you suck a small mint lozenge? Eat one Smartie? Drink water? Or orange juice? Or chicken broth from a Thermos? Or a milk shake, then? Or that thing with a horrible name, "smoothie"?
The will also have to install Snack Detectors at the gates to platforms, and when it beeps frisk people with a sausage roll taped to the inside of their thigh. And cameras in the toilets. It is wonderful!

Sounds sensible to me. When I was a kid we didn't graze everywhere we went. I don't give a damn about fat kids, but if it means the seats are kept free of spilt food and drink, so much the better.
InterCity is different. The journeys are longer, and cross over mealtimes.

It was only one of several recomendations she made. Maybe not the smartest idea on reflection.

But there is something "low rent" about eating on public transport. I don't know why, maybe the idea that you would normally wait for everyone to be served before starting eating?

Maybe the feeling that someone else has something you can't have and is flaunting it?

Do people not have the self-control to wait a few minutes until they get home?

Ban it. Ban it I say.

In my late teen I used to take a coach to Preston whilst attending the Poly (as it then was) for my legal qualifications. I always had a packet of Revels which I slowly ate during the journey. I was mildly titillated by the anticipation of what flavour would come next. I read Michael Moorcock novels as well!
I never shared them.

"Ban Snacking On Trains"

I have seen this a few times today, various media, and due to the unique way my stupid brain works I keep reading it as 'Ban Smacking On Trains.' I have also read it as 'Ban Snakes On Trains.'

Anyhoo, it is a silly idea. There is some pleasure to be gained by making up a flask of Bovril, and smelly egg & cress sandwiches.

Yes ban it on the tube 100%, I've only been on it once, it was busy and some great ape and his moll got on whilst half way through a bucket of KFC, oh how we laughed.

advertisement

Back