advertisement

Innuos Zen MK3 or Zen Mini MK3

Killersteve

pfm Member
Hello members,

I am interested in buying an Innuos Streamer. But I am not sure, if I should buy a Mini MK3 with LPSU or a Zen MK3. Someone who knows how big the differences are?
Would be nice to know.
I would like to connect my Teddy DAC.

I have the Zen Mk3. The main difference is better power supply, the Zen has two internal LPSU, one specifically for the USB output. So there is a clear benefit if you are using USB. Really depends on your budget and what you can afford.

I bought mine after very helpful advice speaking to them direct here:
http://innuos.com/en/go/contact-us

I have the Zen Mk3. The main difference is better power supply, the Zen has two internal LPSU, one specifically for the USB output. So there is a clear benefit if you are using USB. Really depends on your budget and what you can afford.

I bought mine after very helpful advice speaking to them direct here:
http://innuos.com/en/go/contact-us

Thank you! That was a good advice.
I had a call with the Hotline. Interesting info was, that the Zen is upgradeable to Zenith by replacing and adding some components. I will go with the Zen first. Teddy DAC is also connectable on USB. Very friendly support!

Thank you! That was a good advice.
I had a call with the Hotline. Interesting info was, that the Zen is upgradeable to Zenith by replacing and adding some components. I will go with the Zen first. Teddy DAC is also connectable on USB. Very friendly support!

Zen to Zenith is quite an upgrade, you get 3 rather than 2 internal LPSU and I think they put in SSD. SSD is more reliable, but I'm fine with standard drives as the data is buffered and played from RAM. SSD are more reliable, but much more expensive. Innuos use a non-standard format so you can't DIY. Just make sure you have enough capacity to start.

p.s. I can afford Zenith, but decided it wasn't worthwhile for me, but some just like SSD.

DIY install? No.
I believe it’s only possible to swap out the HDD/SSD by going through Innuos.

Oh, I thought I could install a larger HDD by myself if I need more space?
This is not possible?

That's what they told me. It's because of how they format it and remember it runs its own operating system, its not just any old computer. You can plug in external USB drives by they don't store/play the same way.

I got a 4TB SATA drive.

DIY install? No.
I believe it’s only possible to swap out the HDD/SSD by going through Innuos.

Just one more question to the Hotline!
It is not wanted to change the drive by myself. But it‘s possible at Innuos. I think, I will go for the 1TB Version. If I need more space I will connect my NAS, but it‘s unlikely.

That's what they told me. It's because of how they format it and remember it runs its own operating system, its not just any old computer. You can plug in external USB drives by they don't store/play the same way.

I got a 4TB SATA drive.

They told me at Innuos, that 90% are buying the 1TB. The other ones 2/4 TB, but mostly unused (only 15% used space), if the units came to Innuos for an upgrade. 1TB means 2.000 CDs. I have 200-300 actually. A lot of space, if I really want to rip all my CDs.

1TB is sufficient for me as I’m only at 20%, but I know I have huge stash of CDs ‘somewhere’, just can’t find them

I rip and store some of my better vinyl as 24/192 AIFF files. All adds up.

So I have to ask why 24/192 (when all you need is 16/48) and why AIFF and not FLAC (same audio data, more compact representation, proper metadata/tagging and above all content integrity checksums)?

So I have to ask why 24/192 (when all you need is 16/48) and why AIFF and not FLAC (same audio data, more compact representation, proper metadata/tagging and above all content integrity checksums)?

Woops, sorry, cancel that. I realize that could be seen as a cyclical argument that breaks the AUP and offends advertisers.

Woops, sorry, cancel that. I realize that could be seen as a cyclical argument that breaks the AUP and offends advertisers.

Now now. Your question has fair merit. It’s a measure of our mental fortitude better when demonstrating how we deal fairly and reasonably with adversity, not how we deal with the good times.:D

On topic- Zenith III user here. Love the device, and have had very good support from Innuos prior to purchase. I’ve ripped all my CDs to Flac, and I reckon that’s about 1500. I much prefer the convenience of select No a track/album via Roon and just playing it.

My LP12 is looking a bit worried...

Now now. Your question has fair merit. It’s a measure of our mental fortitude better when demonstrating how we deal fairly and reasonably with adversity, not how we deal with the good times.:D

On topic- Zenith III user here. Love the device, and have had very good support from Innuos prior to purchase. I’ve ripped all my CDs to Flac, and I reckon that’s about 1500. I much prefer the convenience of select No a track/album via Roon and just playing it.

I bought mine as a long time Qobuz user when Roon paired up with Qobuz and I'm now Rooned over. Turntable still gets plenty of revolutions.

I know, there are „slight“ differences between Zen and Zenith...:rolleyes:
But have you compared the rip to the original from CD? What was the result?
The guy from Innuos told me, that SQ of the rip would be better as the original from CD. Would you agree to this?

@sls4321: Would you agree also?

Nice to know...

Is there any difference between Innuos drive playback and NAS connection and playback ?

Sonically speaking? No. Aside from that, using NAS storage puts extra load on your network, but this is unlikely to become an issue using wired Ethernet connections. If you are using WiFi or Powerline networking to connect the Innuos server to the NAS, then you might want to consider this more carefully.

I know, there are „slight“ differences between Zen and Zenith...:rolleyes:
But have you compared the rip to the original from CD? What was the result?
The guy from Innuos told me, that SQ of the rip would be better as the original from CD. Would you agree to this

I went from a Naim CDS3 to the Innuos II. The presentation is very different imv. I intentionally wanted a change, and have found this beneficial. The sound is not as bright, but clearer and more detailed. Less fatiguing. Each to their own, tho.

I went from a Naim CDS3 to the Innuos II. The presentation is very different imv. I intentionally wanted a change, and have found this beneficial. The sound is not as bright, but clearer and more detailed. Less fatiguing. Each to their own, tho.

Which DAC you are using?
I had a CDS3 also, went to a Rega Isis.

advertisement

Back