advertisement

naim cd 3.5 problem

Barrie

veteran member
hi my naim cd 3.5 has had a turn for the worse the stop button is illuminated but wont do anything else.. ive taken a quick look inside and all appears in order... can u help

cheers in advance

Are the remote batteries flat, or it's buttons stuck down? Remove batteries from remote for a handful of mins and replace; and try power off/ power on on the player if you havent already.

ETA I realise you've probably cycled the power to remove the cover but I once had a similar problem and the cause? remote jammed down back of sofa!

I don't have a remote so it cant be that.. the digit track display isn't working eather
but where it says naim audio it does light up

Next step is to check all the regulated power supplies inside. They're all positive regs - LM317 so you can probe the tab on them. Most voltages are +5 with a couple at +9.5v and 18v IIRC.

Perhaps a picture of the inside would help those of us whom are unaware of the layout.

ETA
Help us to help you that is.

that would be good but looks like a trip to witch hat anyway perhaps mjs will put a pic up marking which ones to test

Once you have the case top off, it's the ones clamped to the back panel (4 in total iirc) nearish the mains inlet and the two at the other end of the PCB marked LM317T.

Clip the black lead of your dvm on the chassis earth point (= signal 0v in Naim Cd players). With the player turned on, you then only need to touch the red probe to the large tabs on each reg in turn and write down the voltage you see on each. Do be careful not to let the probes slip / short between each such 'tab' and anything else.

Hello, I am a newbie. I have a CD3.5 which has the ERR display when attempting to play a track. I have removed the lid and removed the disc drive from the player and removed the disc drive pcb and plugged the drive back into the motherboard and pressed play. The laser shows its red light and tries to focus but no disc is present. I have a new puck but all the disc manages to do is rotate about 130 degrees then stops and shows the ERR display. With the laser light present, I am temped to think it is OK, but is it? I would appreciate some recommendations as to its fault origins. Also, am I missing something like perhaps a micro switch being open because I have removed the disc drive housing from the player?

I read just a couple of days ago on the green forum that Naim still have stock of the VAM1205 mechanism for the 3.5 & CDX players.

@Mark (MJS), do you guys at WH have any?

We don't have any, the genuine article is very hard to come by, so if Naim have them, brilliant - I'd go there.

Hello, I am a newbie. I have a CD3.5 which has the ERR display when attempting to play a track. I have removed the lid and removed the disc drive from the player and removed the disc drive pcb and plugged the drive back into the motherboard and pressed play. The laser shows its red light and tries to focus but no disc is present. I have a new puck but all the disc manages to do is rotate about 130 degrees then stops and shows the ERR display. With the laser light present, I am temped to think it is OK, but is it? I would appreciate some recommendations as to its fault origins. Also, am I missing something like perhaps a micro switch being open because I have removed the disc drive housing from the player?

I might be wrong but I seem to recall that the CD3.5 could have a problem with the platter dropping if the puck was dropped repeatedly onto the disc or the platter was forced down at all. The platter reduced clearance did not allow sufficient space for the laser to focus on the disc or physically impeded, slowed or stopped the disc from rotating.
I have had it happen on the CD2 several times. I don't know if here is a specific height but gently easing the platter up again, I used a pair of thin knives, cured any problems but I would make sure you are confident that might be the issue before taking any action. I also remember a 3.5 platter falling to pieces and all the bits being stuck to the puck. I assume the plastic gets brittle over time so if you touch it please be careful.

Last edited:
Ah!! A plague of dead CD3.5s... mine won’t work either despite being stored in the original packaging.
Mine will spin the , index the laser and then the dreaded “Err” message appears.
Everything looks good, so any more thoughts?

The lasers do wear out on these, but finding reliable replacements is not so easy.

advertisement

Back