advertisement

Are there any free imaging hosts left?

colasblue

pfm Member
It seems that Photobucket have caught up with me and blurred out most of my pics on forums since I won't pay them any money.

Is there anywhere else I can go these days??

If not I'll think about creating my own web space somewhere bit it's a bit of a faff.

TIA

If you have a mac, iPic is awesome, I think essentially you are giving your images to a chinese company but if you just want to sell some speakers or what ever its great.

I don't have a mac, I regard all things mac as alien, particularly that new iphone 11 which seems to be spying on us with three eyes! Clearly alien tech infiltrating the mainstream.

But seriously mac only answers not helpful.

I'd ideally like something not likely to fall over anytime soon along the same lines as what's happened to photobucket since some of the material is in PFM reference

Forget about imaging hosts.

I’ve used a personal ftp server for which I pay € 12 a year, along with my www.fr, for many years.
My pictures are there.
I use FileZilla to upload them.

I don't think any UK ISP's still offer that, though in any case I don't really want to change ISP. We all used to get a bit of free webspace with our normal ISP subscription but those days seem long gone!

You can get a domain with a bit of space on it? You could set up your own website on a server at home, or owncloud, or Pydio?

I don't think any UK ISP's still offer that, though in any case I don't really want to change ISP. We all used to get a bit of free webspace with our normal ISP subscription but those days seem long gone!

Here in France Orange for instance still includes 6 Go for personal web pages. I could use that too.
So you don’t have that in UK?

Maybe it's just because I 'came to the net' from early days at Uni, but I've always taken for granted that I should have some space I use for ftp/web/etc transfers. It means people can avoid the kind of irritations caused by trying to use space someone else is wanting to make money from - thus usually messing about with access by people who want the content.

e.g. in another thread I've just been replying to where *two* links given don't work for me, so I can't help the person who put them up.

Getting web/ftp space is easy. As is getting something like domain names. Particularly if you use an ISP with a clue.

Also, as per another thread. remember TANSTAAFL. If a 'service' provided by a commercial company, then *you* probably are their product. As are those who visit to collect what you put up.

Well, my service provider is in a different country to me. He's based on the south coast of England, and I'm in Scotland. :) However he happily provides space, and has facilitated space on someone else's servers as well. The snag is that you pay for what you get rather than allow someone else to make money indirectly from you. But it gives *you* control.

Also, your space host doesn't have to be your ISP.

The issue for me is not so much whether the service is free, but also whether you need to register to use it.
I find, as do most people, that the moment you register you are likely to be bombarded with emails etc trying to sell you something.

The issue for me is not so much whether the service is free, but also whether you need to register to use it.
I find, as do most people, that the moment you register you are likely to be bombarded with emails etc trying to sell you something.

That certainly has never happened for the ISP / provider I use! If it did, he'd get a flea in his ear! Maybe this is, again, a question of what you're willing to pay and who you choose.

If a provision was 'free' I'd expect crap like that because TANSTAAFL is one of the laws of thermodynamics. But if I pay I get to see the rules and agree to them. May cost more, but if you don't want the crap, it seems worth it.

Jim

Who is your FTP space provider, the company I used in the past took control of the FTP space and will not allow me to access the space as if it was space on my local machine. I have to access the space via their GUI structure which limits how I can share images.

Like it or not FTP is not a secure service on a modern server and is only partly replaced by SFTP

Always a bit dodgy with NAT and plain text passwords.

Jim

Who is your FTP space provider, the company I used in the past took control of the FTP space and will not allow me to access the space as if it was space on my local machine. I have to access the space via their GUI structure which limits how I can share images.

http://www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/

They aren't cheap. But they can usually provide whatever combination/level of facilities you want wrt web space. ftp, etc. And if/when you may need to, as the customer you can contact the person in charge via email or phone. Very helpful.

I do also get space elsewhere. e.g. for the UKHHSoc site. Know the people involved as we're all RISC OS users. :)

advertisement

Back