advertisement

A Thread for New Jazz

I just came across Tony Allen - The Source which is a double lp that followed on from the Blakey EP. Released in 2017 on Blue Note, it's all analogue and sounds great. Review here.

bmYDgZ8h.jpg

kDR0m7Th.jpg

Really enjoying this, thanks

Taken from the album, well worth checking out imho. No fireworks but a great take on modern piano trio jazz. Superb recording too.

Thanks for the hint,
not speaking in absolute terms but just to my taste it doesn't happen that often
these days something really worthwhile listening to is released.

To me '10' is an exception and is released as a 2 CD issue
as well as a 1 LP 180gr limited edition.

SQ on both is outstanding, the creative output was big enough to offer good material to fill 2 CDs.
So I don't see any 'B' -side material on those CDs, they are absolutely fine.

To me, particularly those with a nice MC system, the LP offers exactly the plus over CD you'd expect from a well made recording and excellently executed pressing.
Dead flat, centric, silent good vinyl and great natural dynamics...worthwhile imo.

The LP only has half the amount of songs, so it's kind of reduced to the maxx,
but from the homogenic feel & length of the listening experience it totally maked sense to me this way.

Both CD and LP are absolutely fine, if MC I'd tend to LP, otherwise CD.
I have both, you might call it excessive but I'll quit the next 10 'hip' new Jazz offerings instead.

The Tony Allen-The source is nice btw, got the CD since a while.
Not overwhelming, but solidly good...all imo of course.

Cheers & thx again for pointing me to it.
I have a feeling I'll be digging deeper into Helge Lien's former outputs sooner or later.. :)

Funny that I'd been thinking of Yes recently but never really checked them out back in the day (early 70's). Really like this, lucked out with a great vinyl copy.

Thanks for flagging this up.

I loved Yes when I was 14 but then saw the error of my ways - although still have a soft spot for The Yes album. I'd normally have avoided Steve Howe in the same way I do Steve Hackett but this is good stuff.

Have you heard Dylan Howe's jazz take on Bowie?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KOFWM0W/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Like a lot of people here I'm currently looking back to Blue Note and other US and UK 60s stuff: I've heard very little new this year.

I did pick up Tyshawn Sorey's Verisimilitude ( from 2018) a few weeks back. Interesting, dense and fabulously recorded (especially the drums) - a sort of hybrid of jazz piano trio and some intense modern composition.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07215GL89/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

There is a new Maria Schneider record, Data Lords, is being recorded. I've bought it upfront from Artist Share - I've bought her last two records which have been played a lot and are as exquisitely composed, designed and recorded as any CD I own. She worked with Bowie on his last sessions.
https://www.artistshare.com/Projects/Experience/1/510

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm quite tempted by the new (well, older recordings, but only just released) Matthew Halsall album, Oneness.
New Portico Quartet album out on Friday as well, which sounds very nice from the couple of tracks up on bandcamp

I weakened and bought the new Matthew Halsall, and it's rather lovely.
It's calming tones were just what I needed after a visit from an amazingly annoying and entitled client.

Reactions: kjb
What gigs are people planning on catching?

With a lack of foresight I’m flying out to spend a few weeks with my son in Shanghai on the 15th and returning on the 26th - absolutely covering all of the festival dates

advertisement

Back