advertisement

Hi quality single conductor power cable insulated wire - Where from?

hski

pfm Member
Can some of you knowledeable guys here point me in tte direction to purchase hi quality single insulated conductor wire such as 8N copper multistrand such as tne Acrolink or Oyaide ssc virgin copper wire. Or maybe multistranded SPC such as used in the DH labs red sonic power cable. Basically i want to make my own power cable from scratch with the best available materials withhout payingg the exaggerated prices some makers are asking. Ive looked in te suppliers section but wit no luck as yet and dont know if you can actuaslly purchase it Thanks for your help!

Bricodepot.
The truth is any copper wire will be perfectly adequate between your switch box, wall plug and the thin wire wound into your transformers.
Do you really think posh cables have a special magic copper?
You are deluded.

Just use the largest CSA cable you can fit into your plugs, and save your money.

Pete

p.s I have some magic beans the fuse direction guy didn't want...

Bricodepot.
The truth is any copper wire will be perfectly adequate between your switch box, wall plug and the thin wire wound into your transformers.
Do you really think posh cables have a special magic copper?
You are deluded.
I wis i was deluded and tere was no improvement in SQ wit some cables plus and connectors ten we wouldnt need to buy and assemble suc plus and cables. Yes tey do just as silver conducts better tan old and copper. Just as grounding, isolation and cleaner power supplies, as well as spikes and isolation pucks. It all makes a difference as lon as te hi fi is sensetive enough to feel it.

If you believe Silver is better (hint... it isn't) then why not go the hog and build a silver power cable.

The power cables feeding your house are not silver. Nor are they special copper. Further back the HV cables will be Aluminium - perhaps you should ask your local supply to replace those?. Truth is any tiny tiny (virtually unmeasurable) improvement in conductivity for the last one or two metres of the mains supply chain cannot make a difference to 'sound quality'.

Precisely. The old "last magic metre" delusion.

Do not believe your senses!

That reminds me of the cheap (but fine) wine in a posh bottle experiment. Or the way colours can alter our perception of taste.

Indeed.

Close tour eyes and learn the truth, or something like that. Also our own psychological condition makes us perceive things very differently one day to another. One day your hi-fi sounds amazing, the next it's disappointing.We all have experienced that.

What has changed? Nowt.

Do you really think an old piece of copper - or silver - will affect your system? Probably not, but it will affect your mental preparation before listening and condition you into hearing things that simply don't exist. We are funny animals.

Probably not, but it will affect your mental preparation before listening and condition you into hearing things that simply don't exist. We are funny animals.

Really tight trousers will force the blood further up and change the damping around you your ears, totally different sound. You can, of course, tweek the effect by loosening or tightening your belt. That's why hifi sounded different in the 70's.

And before you spend thousands on that new preamp, consider how many ne5532/4 opamps the audio signal has already been through.
Studio-Mixing-Desk.jpg

I remember Peter Belt and "charged" bottles of water you placed near your fuse box.

Pete

I remember Peter Belt and "charged" bottles of water you placed near your fuse box.

Brought back from Lord's (cricket ground) as a cheaper version of the properly blessed stuff.

Wonder if Peter Belt went down the pub and told his mates how he was fleecing the HiFi populace, guffaws all round.

Yeah he probably did.

Remember his electret cream, his foils and his clips of different colours?

Not sure he made a living out of his snake oil though. He died aged 87!

http://www.pwbelectronics.co.uk/

Enjoy!

Another purveyor of snake oil: RA and his Kimber nonsense.

At least RA'a Torlyte (Torylite?) stuff was founded on some sound principles in that they were about minimising energy stored and resonance etc. Sort of home made honeycomb material for HiFi.
Later years stuff appears to be distressingly Foo related as you say.

If you believe Silver is better (hint... it isn't) then why not go the hog and build a silver power cable.

The power cables feeding your house are not silver. Nor are they special copper. Further back the HV cables will be Aluminium - perhaps you should ask your local supply to replace those?. Truth is any tiny tiny (virtually unmeasurable) improvement in conductivity for the last one or two metres of the mains supply chain cannot make a difference to 'sound quality'.
My whole experience in hi fi tells me completely different. An example i had my jumper cables naca5 replaced wit pro airlocked ones te same naca5 cable and the sound definately improved, not a massive one but the bass and instrrument seperation was definately better. I also had my naca5 proffessionally soldered with the sa8 amp plugs and wow wat an improvement you wouldnt believe just a bit of the right solder with the right nickel

I beg to differ as ive had many improvements in SQ over the years. and some better than others. From gettin naca5 jumpers airlocked where the bass and instrument seperation showed an improvement, to buying an olsen pdu were there was a distinct improvement over the previous pdu. Getting the naca5 cable proffessionally soldered with sa8 amp plugs was a wow moment though. Just a bit of nickel with the correct solder and properly done will show the difference between what can be acieved with the right attention to detail in hi fi. Read about the many wow moments and the many previously deep sceptics been converted regarding the so many methhods of upraded sq be it a cable, a dac, a power plug, a different connector. spike pucks, isolation. Theres so many ways to improve sq and they dont have to cost much either.

advertisement

Back