advertisement

Wall mounting heavy monitors?

Bluedroog

pfm Member
due to practical considerations I’m considering wall mounts for a pair of Event Opals, I believe they’re 27kg, so not light. Having only used brackets for light bookshelf passives years ago, I’m a bit nervous.

Obviously I need something pretty heavy duty and to use appropriate screws, what else should I be aware of and can you recommend some mounts up to task? I emailed DV247 but they recommended some which when I read the specs were only up to 7kg.

With thanks

Solid walls?
If you have, the only hassle is working-out what fixings to use, of which there are many suitable ones.
If you haven't……………………… you are at least going to have to find the studs.

BEWARE - some fixings for stud walls claim VERY heavy loads capability, but they will be for shear loads. Speakers will exert a great deal of pull-out force.

Not an expert. I would look at the almost flush mountings for heavy mirrors. Pain to install, as you have to get them perfectly lined up. BUT if you can mount one at each rear corner you could carry a huge load easily. From a mechanical point of view of they are held tight back to the wall there is less leverage away from the wall.. the more you can transfer the load straight down the wall with less pulling away the better.

Another approach would be to put a small square batten on the wall under the speaker and sit the back of the speaker on that. Whatever you use on the top (those mirror mounts again would be invisible) would not actually carry much load - just stop the speaker tipping away.

Both of these ideas presuppose that you have a solution for getting the wires connected - and if the connectors are proud of the rear then that is unhelpful!

Mirrors will produce almost all shear load!!! Very little pull-out - BEWARE.
All the weight of speakers is at the front, almost, not close to the wall..

A quick google and the only brackets to take 30kg so far require top-hat fixing.

OP, does the situation allow for a framework attached to the wall, running to the floor - gallows style? Just a thought, and do your own calculations!

Or a platform hung from the ceiling - assuming good strong joists are in helpful positions?

Vinny’s dire warnings are to be heeded!

If they are studio monitors then whoever makes them plus some third parties will likely sell brackets for mounting. Here are some for a similar speaker.

An option is to have a local company make you something, try a metalworkers, that’s a lot of weight to hang if they’re going to be off the wall a bit.

If you have something solid to fix to, could use something like m10/m12 threaded bar, drill slightly wider hole and let it set with a 2 part resin/chemical anchor it’s called in the trade, can find it easily enough in most decent merchants.

Microwave L-brackets. Some fold, some are solid.

I used something like it for a glass shelf to hold a Roksan k3 amp (14kg+) - I think the ones I got are good for 40kg ++ They feel rock solid, used 4"+ huge screws with a bolt head.
I would be tempted to look in B&Q, but I am sure there are expensive HiFi branded mounts that are available.

Something like this? there is a lot of choice

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06Y59CLBW/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I hung mine from the ceiling joists and angled them down. A basic 1 inch square box section of steel about 1m long, with a steel plate welded on at the top to take a couple of dirty great big coach screws into the ceiling joists!

Then at the speaker end a connector to take the speaker plate with a hole through it to take an m8 bolt. It also allows the speakers to swivel side to side

Then you can have any speaker plate you need made up and just attach them into the permanent ceiling bracket.

I am damned if I can get into flikr but can email photos of the design if interested :)

Microwave L-brackets. Some fold, some are solid.

In my loft I have a heavy duty microwave/TV/what-have-you metal wall shelf which is movable in the horizontal plane. The wall fixing is similar to the above link, but this has an articulated arm and platform/tray. Well known make but can't remember it. There are a number of ways of getting heavy-ish speakers on a wall, some of which have been mentioned, though you'd struggle with stud walls, as aforesaid up post.

However, the only speaker which will perform properly against or very close to a wall is an infinite baffle one (sealed box). Ports are out. Unless you're very lucky, you'll also need to angle them slightly horizontally, so they need to be a few inches away; likewise for cable entry too.

...........................I think would be fine in a stud wall too as long as you could get a couple of the screws at least into the stud?

Apply some simple mechanics to that comment.
The studs will only be wide enough to take one screw across their width. The assembly - speaker + bracket - will produce what is essentially a turning moment, trying to tip away from the wall - only the top-most fixing will be under tension/pull-out force i.e. the ENTIRE load will be taken by the topmost fixing. Anything below the top-most will just be location devices and take no tension, and probably no shear load whatsoever.

Hmmm - I’m not an engineer but I am sure a much higher %age of the load than zero must be taken by the other fixings? :)

Especially as the mounting arm is located towards the bottom of the wall plate?

And the function of the others would also be to stop the bracket from pulling away from the wall, which would take quite some considerable force if fairly long wood screws were used?

Looking at the detailed instructions it looks like at least 4-6 screws could go into the stud (2 at the top, 2 at the bottom, and 1 or 2 in the middle)

Hmmm - I’m not an engineer but I am sure a much higher %age of the load than zero must be taken by the other fixings? :)
The force on the bolts will be at an angle which varies with height. The vertical component will be shared. The horizontal component will get larger the further the speaker is from the wall. It will pull on the top screws and push on the bottom. The former needs some consideration beyond what a bracket can hold in terms of specified weight.

Yeah I thought the specified weight limit of brackets is all about whether the metal the bracket is made of will bend / snap under pressure. Nothing to do with whether the fixings will come away from the wall

If a stud wall, the only safe solution is to strip the plaster board and replace it with some thing much stronger such as block board with loads of screws into the studs

Then you can use suitable hollow wall fixings with confidence.

advertisement

Back