advertisement

Ibuprofen

I still prefer Aspirin which I find more effective. Seems like I might need to stock up in case we crash out.
Like many, aspirin gives me really bad stomach problems. Ibuprofen also upsets (but not as bad).
For bad pains if paracetamol doesn't help, I take paracetamol with codeine.

Sorts out the men from the boys does tramadol! o_O :D I've been taking it regularly for a few years along with paracetamol. Recently increased my dose to the max of 400mg daily because I've been having a bit of rough time of late. Hope to lower the dose when things improve as I've done in the past. I hate taking the stuff but what can you do when you have chronic sometimes acute pain!

Had to stop taking aspirin and naproxen, which is supposed to be less harsh on heart and stomach than other anti-inflammatories, because of stomach issues and that was despite taking it with omeprazole, which has its own dangers if taken long term. My GP told me to take it only when I need to, which ain't easy to do if you're taking long term gut irritating meds like the two above.

I've never experienced a shortage of paracetamol in several years I've been taking it. Both chemists and supermarkets in my area will only let you buy two boxes at a time. Even my village pharmacist who is familiar with my health issues will not let me have more than two boxes.

I bought Sainsbury's own-brand Ibuprofen the other day. We seem to have accumulated quite a few packets, not because we're hoarding, but because I forget what I bought in the last 'big shop'.

Sainsbury's do seem to have stopped selling their 'basic' cartons of chopped tomatoes. I thought they'd also stopped selling their basic bog rolls, but those are back in stock after a few weeks' absence.

Gosh what a boring post.

Those long evenings of summer must just fly by, eh Joe? Just go steady with the ibuprofen stocks, I mean at 20p a packet, maybe more, who knows how much money you might have tied up.

Those long evenings of summer must just fly by, eh Joe? Just go steady with the ibuprofen stocks, I mean at 20p a packet, maybe more, who knows how much money you might have tied up.

What makes it even duller is that I never take the stuff myself. Touch wood, I've not had a headache since retiring six or so years back, but there are women in the house, and they gobble the things up like Smarties.

Sorts out the men from the boys does tramadol! o_O :D I've been taking it regularly for a few years along with paracetamol. Recently increased my dose to the max of 400mg daily because I've been having a bit of rough time of late. Hope to lower the dose when things improve as I've done in the past. I hate taking the stuff but what can you do when you have chronic sometimes acute pain!

Had to stop taking aspirin and naproxen, which is supposed to be less harsh on heart and stomach than other anti-inflammatories, because of stomach issues and that was despite taking it with omeprazole, which has its own dangers if taken long term. My GP told me to take it only when I need to, which ain't easy to do if you're taking long term gut irritating meds like the two above.

I've never experienced a shortage of paracetamol in several years I've been taking it. Both chemists and supermarkets in my area will only let you buy two boxes at a time. Even my village pharmacist who is familiar with my health issues will not let me have more than two boxes.
I really struggled with Tramadol, it certainly helped with the pain but couldn’t really function on it. I felt out of control I stopped after a few days. A combination of Gabapentin and Co-codamol are working for me just now.

My Doc advised me to stop the Diclophenac after recent blood tests gave some concerns but I get more blood drawn on Tuesday and hopefully there’ll be some improvement.

Although I had pretty good health in my thirties and forties some of my earlier injuries are definitely coming back to haunt me.

Bottom line, getting old sucks! (That’s coming from a young at heart 57 year old).

Strange how side effects vary so much, my mother and I had a chronic cough soon after being prescribed Ramipril. It took a few weeks to go after cessation.

Doctor was a little bit evasive but I think he'd seen it before.

I really struggled with Tramadol, it certainly helped with the pain but couldn’t really function on it. I felt out of control I stopped after a few days. A combination of Gabapentin and Co-codamol are working for me just now.

My Doc advised me to stop the Diclophenac after recent blood tests gave some concerns but I get more blood drawn on Tuesday and hopefully there’ll be some improvement.

Although I had pretty good health in my thirties and forties some of my earlier injuries are definitely coming back to haunt me.

Bottom line, getting old sucks! (That’s coming from a young at heart 57 year old).

Tramadol is not for everyone that's for sure and I do get the occasional really freaky dream with it. It doesn't stop my pain by any means but does make it more tolerable.

My health took a dip in my early fifties and it's been a downhill trip ever since. Enough to say that my immune system is all to pot, which can open you up to a number of health problems as has happened to me.

Having had an inexplicable mild heart attack 15 years ago I won't take any anti-inflamms except for naproxen, which is 'supposed' to be kinder on heart and gut as mentioned, but I'm still reluctant to take it and will only take a low dose when I'm experiencing serious pain, which is a shame as it's more effective than tramadol & paracetamol combo.

Yep, getting old certainly sucks, and that's coming from a young at heart 68 year old. Except for a sallow spotty pock marked complexion and a Quasimodo type gait, I do look good for my age.....honest! :)

Good luck and I hope your next blood test shows an improvement.

Strange how side effects vary so much, my mother and I had a chronic cough soon after being prescribed Ramipril. It took a few weeks to go after cessation.

Doctor was a little bit evasive but I think he'd seen it before.
It's the most common side effect seen with ACE inhibitor drugs, of which ramipril is one!

Interestingly, when I moved from the UK to Ireland in 2005, one of the everyday differences we saw was that Ibruprofen isn't sold aside from pharmacies - it's not anything like as widely available as it is in the UK (where it's sold in corner shops)

Not read the whole thread.

I don't generally take any painkiller unless I'm desperate. I'm already on Statins, Beta Bockers, A2 Inhibtors and Aspirin EC 75mg daily. All for cardio issues.

The only time I was prescribed Ibuprofen was by a hospital Doc, for an eye-wateringly painful case of infected piles. I protested, as I suffered a lot from acid reflux etc. He just replied. "Your choice.. agony until the antibiotics kick in.. or a slight risk of indigestion.." He was right and the Ibuprofen had me feeling hugely better within hours.

Mrs Mull uses Ibuprofen regularly for Arthritis. She's always been able to purchase two packs each of Ibuprofen AND Paracetamol at check outs, as they are different drugs and can be used together according to guidelines.
However, she was refused in a local ALDI last week, even after protesting to the check out operator and haranguing a supervisor. She says they didn't seem to understand the regulations and thought both Para and Ibuf were the same thing.

There are no shops near me that will let you buy 2 packs of each.

Boots won’t, Sainsbury’s won’t, Tesco won’t, Aldi won’t, Poundland won’t, Co-oP won’t.

are you sure you know the guidelines?

The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) guidelines limit sales to two packets per transaction.

Just read the MHRA guidelines and IMHO they are unclear. Yes, the 'max two packs per transaction' is clear, but there is no reference whatever to the fact that Paracetamol and Ibuprofen can be used concurrently up to the safe dosage of both.

https://assets.publishing.service.g..._data/file/824548/Appendix_4_-_Blue_Guide.pdf

Seems to me like a case of 'the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men'.

I'll ask my extremely good and knowledgeable pharmacist for her interpretation next time I see her. ( and yes.. I know that Pharmacists can sell higher quantities and Docs can prescribe them...)

P.S. For years I took a succession of PPIs or similar.. Cimetidine in the early years, then Omeprazole, Lansoprazole and finally Esomeprazole. I decided it was ridiculous and weaned myself off them successfully... I now only use my remaining Esomeprazole script as and when necessary.. which is rarely.

Obviously worth consulting your Doc first if you have a serious issue like GERD, but otherwise, lots of hints and tips via Google.

Tramadol certainly worked well for me, interesting to see amitriptyline in that article. I had one and it knocked me out mentally for 18 hours, binned them.

Amitrptyline now that's a proper pain killer, Mrs chucked the ones I had for a rotator cuff injury because I was off my tits on them.

Just read the MHRA guidelines and IMHO they are unclear. Yes, the 'max two packs per transaction' is clear, but there is no reference whatever to the fact that Paracetamol and Ibuprofen can be used concurrently up to the safe dosage of both.

https://assets.publishing.service.g..._data/file/824548/Appendix_4_-_Blue_Guide.pdf

Seems to me like a case of 'the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men'.

I'll ask my extremely good and knowledgeable pharmacist for her interpretation next time I see her. ( and yes.. I know that Pharmacists can sell higher quantities and Docs can prescribe them...)

You know better than the experts now?

advertisement

Back