advertisement

Ibuprofen

BJP

pfm Member
This might just be a coincidence.
We have a large chain of budget supermarket in the North West , Home Bargains , I went into one of the bigger stores on Thursday about 10am , no ibuprofen , when I asked the girl filling up the shelves said they had already all gone , plenty of paracetamol . Last weekend the same thing happened to my wife in Tesco , no ibuprofen , you could get the expensive Nurofen though.

I don't know what the NHS recommends in UK but here in France Ibuprofen is definitely on a list of dangerous substances.

From my experiences with the NHS, Paracetamol is the drug of choice. I don't think I've ever been given Ibuprofen.

There was no paracetamol in two local supermarkets a couple of weeks back, but the shelves got restocked after a couple of days.

Mick

you can't 'hoard'...your only allowed 2 packets a time, unless you mean hoarding by suppliers?

????????????????????????????????????????
I could go through a checkout 20 times a day and get 40 packets in one day, likewise my partner, if we so chose.

Ibuprophen is VERY safe. It came off the POM list a long time ago.
The discoverer of it was on the radio a few weeks back. He thought that it was effective and was at a conference where he drank far too much, so the next morning he gave himself a HUGE dose, and proved that it was both very effective and safe in single large doses in one go.

FWIW in this area regarding own brand ibuprofen, Sainsburys do not stock it anymore, Tescos Superstore very intermittent stocking levels. Luckily Tesco Metro and Co-op convenience stores seem to have regular deliveries? My only assumption is that both large stores want you to shell out for the more expensive Nurophen products which are triple the price. As

Vinny observed you could keep going round and round checkouts with your two packets of either ibuprofen or Paracetamol or a mixture of both however one checkout lady said to me "Ah but I would remember you"!!! not sure if that was an insult or a compliment.

IMHO this is more about the large supermarkets running stocks low in order to change shoppers buying habits to maximise shelf profit margins.

I still prefer Aspirin which I find more effective. Seems like I might need to stock up in case we crash out.

Ibuprofen is risky for people on blood pressure medication, because it reduces inflammation by constricting blood vessels which, er, raises blood pressure. So it's not entirely safe, but unless you read the slip of paper in the box (who does?) you mightn't know.

yes , like aspirin and all other Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs it should be taken with food . sometimes ashmatics cannot take ibubrufen but i use it sometimes and its very effective .

these shops like home bargains vary in what they have, i use germalene and poundland used to stock it a lot. now they don`t but plenty of other places do

I’ve been told to steer clear of ibuprofen as I have colitis, so I tend to use paracetamol. Aspirin doesn’t seem to have a noticeable effect.

Mick

I buy morrisons own brand paracetamol and ibuprofen, the paracetamol is in capsule as the very cheapest tablets can stick in my throat, yuk.
I have been buying them regularly for at least 10 years, and there is sporadic weeks were one variety I purchase runs out of stock. This does not appear to be increasing in frequency in my experience.
As a frequent user I keep a backstock of 100+ tablets, not many.
I believe you can purchase large amounts of paracetamol or ibuprofen in a chemist. The restrictions in supermarkets has been around for ages, and is pointless in my opinion.

Ibuprofen went from super safe to potential bleed problem.
My GP insisted I have Omeprazole when taking Ibuprofen or Naproxen, very similar
He quoted something like 5000 people a year died from stomach bleeds. Not sure if that was UK or worldwide.
Always take it with food

In the US the wife has bought a tub of 1000 for $29 over the counter. AFAIK you can buy as many tubs as you like if 1000 is not enough!

I don't use Paracetamol as it contains caffeine, so I'm led to believe, and keeps me awake when I'm in bed.

I don't use Paracetamol as it contains caffeine, so I'm led to believe, and keeps me awake when I'm in bed.

Some of the branded stuff does here in the UK, but generic paracetamol should be just that. Caffeine is supposed to make it more effective

advertisement

Back