advertisement

Turntable choice confusion!!!

kimmiles

pfm Member
I have an OL Zephyr arm (brand new) and have narrowed down my possible purchase between (all sans arm!):

Michell Gyro SE
Origin Live Aurora Mk4
Roksan Radius 7

All have correct arm geometry and Rega-type arm mounting (and all are dust traps) and all have good to excellent reviews.

Not a chance to compare them side by side, so any views/helpful advice?

They all have their 'house' sound but speed stability is one of my chief concerns: the course of absolute pitch!!)

(OR: I simple mount the Zephyr on my Technics SL150 Mk2, as I originally intended!!!)

As above; not because it's the best choice, but because it's the easiest and cost-free solution while you take more time to seriously consider if, what and when you upgrade. The Technics should satisfy re. the pitch, if not the overall s.q. You don't mention the cart., but I imagine it's either a m.m. or a low-cost m.c. with compliance to suit the O.L. arm.

At the moment, I am deciding between the 3 cartridges that I have: Ortofon 2M Black, Ortofon Quintet Black and Hana SL, so not THAT low cost!!!

I guess that my main issue is that the SL150/2 is not getting any younger (much like me), so, despite the rock solid pitch, and while I have the funds, maybe it is time to buy a new tt that will see me through the next ten years (or less, due to my urge to buy stuff!!!!!)

Sorry; 'low cost' to me is anything under £1000+. There are a lot of turntables out there to consider, even though you've obviously researched the subject, and you have the facility to try out your Technics, bide your time on a decision and look out for verifiable or guaranteed good used decks, which will save a small packet.

Of your choices, the Michell would be my choice, but I'm biassed in having an original Orbe for 14 years. If buying used, of course, you could afford a modern Orbe !!!!! Service in Borehamwood would be first class and affordable should you need it. If you're near Soton, then maybe O.L., but Roksan? I had a Xerxes/Artemiz/Shiraz decades ago, but not sure about their cheaper offerings.

Bear in mind the nature of the deck and where it's going to be placed and, if not a wall shelf, whether concrete or suspended floor. Having gone to a mass deck (Dais) I wouldn't revert to a suspended one but 'orses for courses !

Gyro, and not just because it's a nicer built machine and more metal than plastic but it's upgradeable.

Another vote for keeping the Technics (at least until I find a reason /spare cash to justify buying it from you)

Gyro’s great though, especially with Gwernaffield’s pylons.

Yes it is, but the Orbe is better. It's also the top of the Michell range (not much of a range, though), so no upgrading fuss as you have with the Gyro. My friend had the Gyro (when I had one of the first Orbes in '95). He bought the Gyro shortly after but upgraded to Orbe within the year. That was then, by the way; maybe differences are not so obvious nowadays with the different styles Orbe etc.

Yes but not cheap. Not sure it's worth the expense (diminishing returns).

If you are a vinyl person yes its worth it , I have 1200 / 1210 and have had a fully modded everything 1210 , Mike New bearing and platter , Feet , Timestep power supply etc etc , why F about doing all this and spend more money the a 1200G its a stonking TT , weighs a ton, already tuned platter , arm upgraded from the std 1200 series , Speed is 100% accurate , The bearing is a real special , run down time is 1 minuite 6 seconds

You could pay double /trable / quadruple £££ for something that looks like a north sea oil rig , but why ?

I like my 1200g :rolleyes::cool:

Don’t get me wrong: I’d really like one, being something of a Technics fan (se-a3 and su-a4 here, RS-M275 DBX cassette deck among other goodies).

No idea but must be good. Hi-Fi World says so!

But expensive, and not DD of course. No small manufacturer has the power of Technics as regards sheer technology at silly costs.
Bl...y hell, get a new Technics or keep what you have and buy more records!

If you are a vinyl person yes its worth it , I have 1200 / 1210 and have had a fully modded everything 1210 , Mike New bearing and platter , Feet , Timestep power supply etc etc , why F about doing all this and spend more money the a 1200G its a stonking TT , weighs a ton, already tuned platter , arm upgraded from the std 1200 series , Speed is 100% accurate , The bearing is a real special , run down time is 1 minuite 6 seconds

You could pay double /trable / quadruple £££ for something that looks like a north sea oil rig , but why ?

I like my 1200g :rolleyes::cool:
At this money I would (and did) take one of the Rega's top offerings.

advertisement

Back