advertisement

Vann Damme speaker cable

Rallye_punk

pfm Member
Has anyone tried the Vann Damme 4mm blue? I am fed up of paying through the nose for speaker cable and I now need some very long runs so it would cost a fortune. My current cable is Naca 5 and it was about 35 a meter. The Vann Damme is about £4 a meter, copper, ok it may not be as good but it will do the job for what I need. Anyone else used it and what do you think ? Thanks.

I’ve not used it in my domestic setups but it’s what I use I’m my (excellent sounding) PA system, it’s rugged stuff, and much, much more flexible than Naca 5... the reason I don’t use it at home? It’s blue, and my skirting boards are white.

Nothing wrong with Vann Damme cables , I would put money on you not noticing any difference .

There are others too don't discount Mogami or Sommer .

I've used Van Damme Studio Blue 2.5mm for many years. I also use Van Damme XKE interconnects. I have no desire to upgrade.

It was the blue stuff I was looking at. To be honest it's copper so should be decent, the Nac a5 is excellent I will say, but just too pricey for the runs I need. I've tried chord in the past and found that to 'darken' the sound, the Nac a5 is my fav by a long shot, so hopefully the VD cable should be similar in nature/sound.

It was the blue stuff I was looking at. To be honest it's copper so should be decent, the Nac a5 is excellent I will say, but just too pricey for the runs I need. I've tried chord in the past and found that to 'darken' the sound, the Nac a5 is my fav by a long shot, so hopefully the VD cable should be similar in nature/sound.
How long a run do you need? 2.5mm is plenty thick for runs up to 5m, but if you need significantly longer runs than this then you might be better with 4mm. I ordered 10cm samples of every thickness so that I could examine them. The 6mm was like a hosepipe, I wouldn't want to use that without stripping back a considerable portion of the outer jacket to remove weight and thus potential strain on amplifier and loudspeaker binding posts! The outer jacket thickness is a bit OTT IMO and is a bugger to strip back without the appropriate tools, but it does make for a very durable cable. They also make a 'hifi' version that looks more like domestic speaker cable, but after witnessing the colour of the copper inside the clear jacket of Gale XL-315 speaker cable change from a fresh pinky colour to a dull brown colour due to exposure to UV light over the course of a couple of years, I have been put off buying any more cables with a transparent jacket.

My current cable is Naca 5 and it was about 35 a meter. The Vann Damme is about £4 a meter, copper, ok it may not be as good but it will do the job for what I need. Anyone else used it and what do you think ? Thanks.
Is your current amplifier Naim? Van Damme Blue is not suitable for Naim amps, but their flat HiFi range is compatible apparently. I use 4mm VD blue with my Quad 306 to excellent effect, Naca5 for my Naim amps. Consider Witch Hat for their flexible speaker cables which are cheaper than Naca5 if you own Naim.

I use Van Damme tour black and first used it when I had Naim amps and like you needed long runs. I didn't hear any difference but rather liked that is was easier to run about.

Is your current amplifier Naim? Van Damme Blue is not suitable for Naim amps, but their flat HiFi range is compatible apparently. I use 4mm VD blue with my Quad 306 to excellent effect, Naca5 for my Naim amps. Consider Witch Hat for their flexible speaker cables which are cheaper than Naca5 if you own Naim.

Why is not suitable?

I use Van Damme tour black and first used it when I had Naim amps and like you needed long runs. I didn't hear any difference but rather liked that is was easier to run about.

What Naim amps do/did you run, taking cognisance of the above?

It's also worth considering Linn K20 which is effectively Naim NACA4 and can be had for around £6 metre. It's a heck of a lot more flexible than NAC A5.

It's also worth considering Linn K20 which is effectively Naim NACA4 and can be had for around £6 metre. It's a heck of a lot more flexible than NAC A5.
Forgot that stuff still existed, but yes, a sensible no BS speaker cable.

I ran 7mtr pair VanDamme Concert ofc but changed successfully to 5mtr WH Phantom by re-designing room.

I recall K20/A4 is smoother
Same cable branded Talk & Exposure

Now that is a very interesting article , i am pretty sure i used the van damme with my supernait 2 . perhaps i should not have done so

I have it installed with some secondary systems in the house - Auralic Aries Minis with Project power amps and it seems pretty neutral - not used for critical listening but seems pretty good and works well installed behind walls / through ceilings etc as it is fairly flexible.

advertisement

Back