advertisement

Later with Jools

Vinny

pfm Member
There were various announcements around March this year about the new contracts for making the show, saying that there'd be more shows starting with an autumn 2019 series. But, so far, Google finds nothing and the autumn series would normally have started late September - this week/next.

Anyone heard or know anything?

The BBC were advertising free tickets for it recently so it’s coming.

These are the show recording dates.

Monday 30 September
Tuesday 1 October
Monday 7 October
Tuesday 8 October
Monday 21 October
Tuesday 22 October

Don’t know the transmission dates.

i didn't realise it got negative feedback, ive always enjoyed it, as do my mates, being on the show can really be a huge break for acts, don't know who picks the acts if it is jools or someone else doing the leg work, researcher or some other title, or people sending in demo film/tapes, would be interesting to know how they get picked, always an interesting show, and i have bought music just by seeing the acts on the show, good prog,

Thanks for the dates. I haven't come across anything from the March announcements that the format of live show first, EP version later in the week, is changing, so there may be a live show 30th.

It regularly gets slated for not containing enough of genre X, or Y, or whatever, particularly electronic stuff.
Personally, I have heard quite a few bands for the first time on the show and have bought music as a result.

There is a co-host as of the new series, although I cannot recall who and cannot be bothered to search.

Fingers crossed for another great series. Can’t understand why it gets so much negativity. I always enjoy it and get introduced to some good music.

Perhaps because it used to be the best live music program on TV with at least a couple of quality 'established' bands/artists every week, a couple of more obscure acts and normally a couple of 'new' artists or groups. Unfortunately I cannot recall the last time I watched it the whole way through or heard anything on it I'd buy

I think the criticism is due to the host. Some don’t like him & his habit of playing honky-tonk/ boogie Woogie piano over guest artists tunes.
But that’s the way he plays piano, like it or not & at least he has a genuine passion & interest in a broad church of music.
The formula of the way which bands get on his show is also getting a bit staid, ie some new acts plus a “legend” but again, it’s a music show. Ultimately there’s only so much you can do to keep it fresh.
In the absence of any other live (do some acts somehow mime though?) music tv show, it’s pretty much all we’ve got.

Fingers crossed for another great series. Can’t understand why it gets so much negativity. I always enjoy it and get introduced to some good music.

i didn't realise it got negative feedback, ive always enjoyed it, as do my mates, being on the show can really be a huge break for acts, don't know who picks the acts if it is jools or someone else doing the leg work, researcher or some other title, or people sending in demo film/tapes, would be interesting to know how they get picked, always an interesting show, and i have bought music just by seeing the acts on the show, good prog,

Perhaps because it used to be the best live music program on TV with at least a couple of quality 'established' bands/artists every week, a couple of more obscure acts and normally a couple of 'new' artists or groups. Unfortunately I cannot recall the last time I watched it the whole way through or heard anything on it I'd buy

I think the criticism is due to the host. Some don’t like him & his habit of playing honky-tonk/ boogie Woogie piano over guest artists tunes.
But that’s the way he plays piano, like it or not & at least he has a genuine passion & interest in a broad church of music.
The formula of the way which bands get on his show is also getting a bit staid, ie some new acts plus a “legend” but again, it’s a music show. Ultimately there’s only so much you can do to keep it fresh.
In the absence of any other live (do some acts somehow mime though?) music tv show, it’s pretty much all we’ve got.

Jools Holland is a smug twat.

This is the reason why the show is less than universally popular. Oh and the fawning over “legends” along with the boogie woogie bollocks.

Thankfully, since it’s only aimed at old people, and they’re the only people still watching “linear” TV, it means everyone else can find new music online and ignore the idiot.

Roughly speaking.

(Did I get that right?) ;)

Take a look at the audience next time around Tom.
The irony and sarcasm was/is obviously beyond you - it's appreciation certainly comes with the years, far too subtle for you.

Personally, the TV gets switched on for some rugby and Jools, and precious little else - I have far better things to do than watch it, linear, sinusoidal, exponential, or anything else. Not least, attention to the analogue and digital reproduction of tunes.

Was definitely a joke (hence the final comment and the smiley face).

It’s the standard criticism of him. True the show needs a refresh but it’s great to see live music on TV. Which is something that seems notoriously hard to do - even BBC coverage of Glastonbury gets very mixed responses.

Me, I’m an old git too..!

Thankfully, since it’s only aimed at old people, and they’re the only people still watching “linear” TV, it means everyone else can find new music online and ignore the idiot.

I agree with your assumptions about JH, but please do not label all old people as being ignorant of new music (I am nigh on 70)
Perhaps you could provide a list of what is worth listening to, this could be fun

Bloss

Personally, the TV gets switched on for some rugby and Jools, and precious little else - I have far better things to do than watch it, linear, sinusoidal, exponential, or anything else. Not least, attention to the analogue and digital reproduction of tunes.

C4 always was the best for live music back in the day, so was RSG, yet to be bettered IMO because that is when the change in music started to happen.

Bloss

Haha!

My general principle with music is to keep moving forwards all the time.

But since it’s an art form, there is no right and wrong. Though boogie woogie piano and Jools Holland is closer to wrong than right :D

I am maybe not as brave as you, but yes I am always on the lookout for something new.

Bloss

Bach, Beethoven, etc. etc. etc. etc. is just so much ol' waffle by that reasoning Tom?????????????
Jools is a great live act BTW, last week I saw Skunk Anansie, before that Akua Naru, Lamb, blah, blah, blah, blah

I am just short of 61 and regularly get ahead of the 20-30 year old regular gig-going, London-based kids of my partner - Maribou State, LP, are a couple that come to mind.

I will take issue with anything musical being wrong, though - that is a complete load of ol' ****.

'twas always a highlight of my week to listen to the extended show on Friday night - up through the big hifi. Looking forward to the new series - but I hear changes are afoot?

advertisement

Back