advertisement

Vast Brexit thread merge part I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Corbyn vows to put 'sensible' Brexit deal to voters in referendum

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-sensible-brexit-deal-to-voters-in-referendum
Correct position. Labour have become the main referendum party, and a referendum now looks like a sensible and democratic compromise given autocratic positions adopted by Tories and Lib Dems.

A generous interpretation of the Lib Dems' recent manoeuvres would be that they've deliberately acted as outriders in order to establish a referendum as the mainstream, reasonable option. Cheers!

I watched a lot of the proceedings today and would certainly agree that Pannick had a better day in court than Keen. Still, even the Guardian was forced to concede that it would be “not normal” for the Supreme Court to consider Johnson’s prorogation unlawful. As I understand it they are required to give a ruling based on constitutional law. It would be easier if we had a written constitution but we don’t, so now it comes down to judicial precedent, interpretation and convention. Whichever way it goes I can’t imagine all 11 judges will be aligned.

These are not normal times.

Hatred on the streets. This will get worse before it gets better...

https://twitter.com/JasonNParkinson/status/1173974198810755073

I really can't get excited about the 'threat' from these people. They seem a very narrow demographic and look like they will be more likely to be battling diabetes and hypertension than fighting in the streets. Abusing and threatening a couple of women walking down the street seems more their comfort zone. As for exploding don't worry it is only "waffer thin".

No deal casualties. We all knew the beef industry in Ireland would be disproportionately impacted by a No deal. The second article about the NI Bus maker is tragic. Wrights group appear to be in big trouble. It is one of the leading exporters in NI. Orders for their buses have dried up due to brexit uncertainty but the straw that breaks the camels back is the co-founder William Wright was a key supporter of leave in NI. The Chinese are looking at investing but it looks bad for this indigenous local company. But Brexit means Brexit and it isn't all about jobs, income and prosperity it is about some other intangibly positive things as I have read on this thread today. Socking a big one to all those terrible Eurocrats makes it all worthwhile. As so many others have posted here no doubt the ill wind will be felt by many as time passes. It will be a slow death by a thousand cuts and even if reversed quickly it will take a generation to recover.

apologises forgot to include the story on the number of Irish beef farms that would be unviable with no deal brexit. 33%. Put the souffle story link in by mistake!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/wor...-and-depth-of-an-overcooked-souffle-1.4010024

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/wor...is-bus-in-talks-as-brexit-risk-hits-1.4020113
Ironies of Brexit, No.34.
The company that supplies the Boris buses is run by a N.Irish Brexit cheerleader and Brexit is about to put him out of business.

Staying ‘neutral’ in the face of white English nationalism and an economic downturn that will hit the very poorest in society the hardest is a disgusting position IMHO. Brexit was only ever about removing EU tax legislation for the very richest and removing employment rights and civil liberties from those below. Neutrality is simply not an option.

74 year old Woman from the EU on Today, today who has been in the UK 50 years has ended up with 'pre settled status' after applying for residency. This term is a bodge so the Government can say "100% of applicants have been accepted as residents."

I think his is going to be a huge scandal to rival Windrush. Like that, so-one in Government will accept any responsibility for he damage it causes people and families and no price will be paid by those who created this situation.

Stephen

Staying ‘neutral’ in the face of white English nationalism and an economic downturn that will hit the very poorest in society the hardest is a disgusting position IMHO. Brexit was only ever about removing EU tax legislation for the very richest and removing employment rights and civil liberties from those below. Neutrality is simply not an option.

It’s more to do with the General Election, he doesn’t want to alienate either remain or leave voters.

When you have extremists on each side of you dealing in autocracy it’s the right thing to do. Labour will get us the referendum everyone’s been asking for, then let the people decide.

74 year old Woman from the EU on Today, today who has been in the UK 50 years has ended up with 'pre settled status' after applying for residency.

I think his is going to be a huge scandal to rival Windrush. Like that, so-one in Government will accept any responsibility for he damage it causes people and families.

Stephen

There’ll be lots of anomalies like that.

Apparently, Corby and Milne have been reading Harold Wilson's biography.

Swinson isn't any better—she says she wants to stop Brexit, but won't work with Labour to not split the remain vote. Listening to her yesterday, I got the impression is that what she really wants is to be able to say she increased the number of LD MPs. Stopping Brexit appears to be a secondary issue.

For better or worse, Labour is the only chance of a second referendum and a Brexit pause. I don't care what Corbyn thinks—Labour have promised this.

If the LDs contest Lab/LD seats, we will definitely have a hard Brexit.

Stephen

It’s more to do with the General Election, he doesn’t want to alienate either remain or leave voters.

That, and he knows he can’t even lead his party as it is so fractured both internally within its MPs and via the finance received from archaic trade union barons. Fence sitting it is then. Fascism: a good or a bad thing? We’ll be having no opinion on that thank you...

Swinson isn't any better—she says she wants to stop Brexit, but won't work with Labour to not split the remain vote.

Unless Labour is actively campaigning to remain with real conviction from the leader downwards it is not a ‘remain’ party. As such how can the likes of the LDs, SNP, Greens, PC etc trust it? Why on earth would the LDs (or anyone else) deny remainers a proper platform in a GE? If Labour wants their vote it needs to get its arse off the fence.

Swinson isn't any better—she says she wants to stop Brexit, but won't work with Labour to not split the remain vote.

Or maybe she won't work with Labour because she, or rather the LibDems, don't want to see Corbyn in no. 10.
Sounds perfectly logical to me...

When you have extremists on each side of you dealing in autocracy it’s the right thing to do. Labour will get us the referendum everyone’s been asking for, then let the people decide.
But wot about the ‘hard centre’ as well as ‘the extremists on both sides’? Jeremy won’t be able to find a dead branch to perch on!
There’s no Brexit that will preserve jobs and living standards to the same standard as EU membership, so what’s his game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back