advertisement

Amazon launch HiRes streaming.

Trying it out now. Sounds great! Probably no surprise (being lossless). This’ll be interesting now that there’s a cheaper lossless service than Tidal and Qobuz, and it appears you don’t pay extra for the higher than CD res albums either. Just the 320kbps choice, or the ‘HD’ 16-bit lossless and above.

Wonder if the Autorip CDs are now upgraded to lossless...

I wonder how Tidal, Qobuz and Apple will respond... Great for the consumers!

Trying it out now. Sounds great! Probably no surprise (being lossless). This’ll be interesting now that there’s a cheaper lossless service than Tidal and Qobuz, and it appears you don’t pay extra for the higher than CD res albums either. Just the 320kbps choice, or the ‘HD’ 16-bit lossless and above.

Wonder if the Autorip CDs are now upgraded to lossless...

I wonder how Tidal, Qobuz and Apple will respond... Great for the consumers!

I’ve just tried to sign up for the free trial by clicking through on the link in my post, but seemed to get redirected to the US site amazon.com which then asked me for the expiry date of an ancient credit card which I no longer have as I only used amazon.com once years ago when I wanted something from the US. How did you log in?

More importantly to many, maybe this will be enough to persuade Spotify to pull their finger out and offer lossless streaming...

Agree, I'm hooked on the Spotify interface now and it would take alot for me to move. I live in a 320kb world ATM. Not too bad for alot of the trashy rock stuff I listen too anyway but it still rubs me the wrong way.

BTW, all the future stuff we were discussing on here around the time of Squeezbox nearly 15 years ago seems to be coming to pass. It creeps up on us all...

I’ve just tried to sign up for the free trial by clicking through on the link in my post, but seemed to get redirected to the US site amazon.com which then asked me for the expiry date of an ancient credit card which I no longer have as I only used amazon.com once years ago when I wanted something from the US. How did you log in?

There is a dropdown box at the bottom where you can select Amazon.co.uk instead. This is using the app on a Mac. Assume it's the same on Windows too.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
There is a dropdown box at the bottom where you can select Amazon.co.uk instead. This is using the app on a Mac. Assume it's the same on Windows too.

Thanks! Was fiddling around on my phone so didn’t see it.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Agree, I'm hooked on the Spotify interface now and it would take alot for me to move. I live in a 320kb world ATM. Not too bad for alot of the trashy rock stuff I listen too anyway but it still rubs me the wrong way.

BTW, all the future stuff we were discussing on here around the time of Squeezbox nearly 15 years ago seems to be coming to pass. It creeps up on us all...

Nowt wrong with 320's, I often choose to listen to them over FLAC's as they are smoother, a little more analogue sounding ..probably distortion, but still, sounds nicer at times.

i noticed my bubbleupnp player does not support it, only an amazon cloud drive. Not supported in mconnect either.

Nowt wrong with 320's, I often choose to listen to them over FLAC's as they are smoother, a little more analogue sounding ..probably distortion, but still, sounds nicer at times.

Cheers, I feel better for airing my sin ... I'm not an audiophile really and Spotify has been a game changer for me.

Last edited:
Amazon is a tax evading shit employer

Can't / won't disagree but just how much do Spotify, Tidal Apple Music or Qobuz contribute to the UK exchequer?

Should we forsake all streaming on that nebulous principle?

Please treat those as rhetorical questions chaps - I don't do 'off topic':)

I will however have a dabble with this as it seems I should be able to get ultra HD (when available) using the Fire TV as a streamer and Oppo 105 as dac.

Jim

How extensive is the catalogue compared to Spotify (which I find has literally EVERYTHING).

If you're an existing Prime Subscriber is it cheaper than if you're not?

How extensive is the catalogue compared to Spotify (which I find has literally EVERYTHING).

If you're an existing Prime Subscriber is it cheaper than if you're not?

They claim 50 million songs, which IIRC rivals Spotify.

And it’s 2 quid a month cheaper if you’re a prime member - £12.99 vs £14.99.

How are people accessing it, is it via a phone app? Or website, maybe?

advertisement

Back