advertisement

Rega v Linn 'house' sound.

Rack Kit

pfm Member
I asked this on another thread but rather crapping on that one I thought i'd best I start a separate one.

Assuming both decks are fully Rega and Linn (deck, arm, cart, phono), can anyone who's owned or listened to both describe the sound differences?

I know I could organise a demo somewhere but thought I'd make a start here and go from there.

Asking for a friend...

With one of them you're more likely to hear the sound of your bank manager complaining.

Also - aside from budget - you need to consider your dealer(s) nearby.

I've owned both (and the Linn to a very high level with Keel and Radikal).

The Rega is as about "plug and play" as it gets; the Linn isn't as fragile as some make it out to be, but you do need access to someone who can service (aka "fettle") it as it has a significant impact on performance. You have to factor that in.

Not sure the OP is considering purchase so much as trying to get a handle on the presentation style of each. After all, Linn TTs just get going, price wise, at the point where Rega tails off...

With one of them you're more likely to hear the sound of your bank manager complaining.
There is a 'small' area of overlap :)

1. Rega Planar 8 with Apheta 2 MC is £2,439
2. Majik LP12 with Adikt MM is ~£3,220
3. Rega Planar 10 with Exact MM is £3,868
4. Majik LP12 with Adikt MM and Kore is ~£4,100
5. Rega Planar 10 with Apheta 3 MC is £4,499
6. Majik LP12 with Adikt MM and Lingo is ~£4,820

Linn pricing assumes the recent 10% price increase will apply.

I'd love to compare any of them but 3 and 4 seems like a good contest.

@wiresandmore makes a good point ref ease of use. I know others will disagree but I think you need to be prepared to travel to a reputable LP12 dealer in order to get the best out of the deck. That's quite easy in the UK but less so in many other countries.

Last edited:
Oh blimey ok then...chalk and cheese IME. Linn. Detailed, fluid sounding, slighty warm, full well defined upper bass, very stable speed wise, musically involving.
Rega (or anyway the Regas that compete with Linn on price or close to it): Much more modern sound. Detail is what hits you first, in a CD like manner..all there, all clear. Then drive and pace. Very open and clean sounding.
Other points? A rega 8 or 10 has to offer better VFM. Linn's trump card is it's bouncy, mid bass hot, smiley sound. You like music from a Linn. You might from a Rega too, but I suspect that the 'listeners/analysts/detail fans' will love the rega, whilst the 'stick it on and smile' brigade would prefer a Linn.
There. Well someone had to start! I'll get me crisps.

I'd tend to say that the Rega's offer better VFM.

I haven't heard the new P10 with apheta 3 or Aphelion, but I can say that on previous high-end rega decks, the cartridge (for me) was the hold up. I think the first stab at a great VFM MC cart made by rega would actually be the Ania, which is a great all rounder and well worth the money. The Apheta 1 I felt was a tad bright, shrill, and soul-less.

To be fair, the Linn Carts are mainly made by other companies to their specs. (Goldring, lyra for example). Would I guy a Kandid or Kleos...like a Kleos. It's cheaper.

I pound-for-pound comparison would likely be;

Rega P10 vs.
LP12/Kore/Akito/Lingo IV

and the LInn will assuredly be way more expensive.

As for how a,

Rega P10 vs.
LP12/Keel/EkosSE/Radikal

would compare.....I've no idea. But the latter IS a stunning deck. I've tried to hate the damn thing and really not think it was so great or that it had it's drawbacks, but honestly, when I hear one....sheesh. It's a serious deck.

What model of Rega, what model of Linn? I imagine LP 12, but what age? New or used? If used, pre Cirkus or post?

I'd tend to say that the Rega's offer better VFM.

I haven't heard the new P10 with apheta 3 or Aphelion, but I can say that on previous high-end rega decks, the cartridge (for me) was the hold up. I think the first stab at a great VFM MC cart made by rega would actually be the Ania, which is a great all rounder and well worth the money. The Apheta 1 I felt was a tad bright, shrill, and soul-less.

To be fair, the Linn Carts are mainly made by other companies to their specs. (Goldring, lyra for example). Would I guy a Kandid or Kleos...like a Kleos. It's cheaper.

I pound-for-pound comparison would likely be;

Rega P10 vs.
LP12/Kore/Akito/Lingo IV

and the LInn will assuredly be way more expensive.

As for how a,

Rega P10 vs.
LP12/Keel/EkosSE/Radikal

would compare.....I've no idea. But the latter IS a stunning deck. I've tried to hate the damn thing and really not think it was so great or that it had it's drawbacks, but honestly, when I hear one....sheesh. It's a serious deck.
What about the LP12 Klimax v P10/Aphelion/Aura? Latter the best Rega do right now

This will be very interesting as it looks like matt j has swapped his P8 for an older LP12 :)

Correct. I went LP12 -> P8 -> LP12

It seems I prefer suspended TTs, to Regas at least, I've not heard any of the highly rated idlers or mass decks to say for sure. But out of all the TTs I've owned the ones I prefer have been Thorens and Linn so far. TD-125, TD-160, LP12 etc.

It could just be the arm playing more of a role than I realised, I've owned numerous RB250s, 300s, RB900, RB808 and a Michell Tecnoarm and not much cared for any of them.

Get thyself a PT1, an LP12 with added get-up and boogie and somewhat less authority.

I like and live with both in rotation.

advertisement

Back